2003 9.9 Yamaha Extra Long High Thrust

profisher

I thought I would give the members here first crack at this motor...before the Used Vic crowd. I just bought a super clean, low hour 2003 Yamaha high thrust/ power tilt, remote, extra long kicker that had a powerhead issue. This is the big block model which are hard to find now. It was traded in for a new kicker at a local shop. I have a perfect 2006 powerhead for it. I brought it home today and already have the old powerhead removed and have the 2006 all dressed with the bolt on parts from the 2003. All I need is a base gasket to drop the motor back on and will try and get that tomorrow. The motor I'm putting on has a new internal zinc, new head gasket, newer timing belt, new oil and filter, and I will pull the leg and throw a new water pump impeller in it as well. The head was removed just to check for carbon and any salt buildup in the head passages. If I get the base gasket tomorrow I should have it running tomorrow night. I should be ready to let it go by the weekend. I'll take pictures and a video of it running and post here. It comes with the remote control box and a wire harness. Unfortunately the shop cut the main harness from the box...I assume they were having a hard time fishing the big connector end threw the boat to remove it. Easy fix though. There are also a couple of control cables, not sure what length. $2200.00 will take it. BTW I took the head off the 2003 powerhead and it was just a stuck and bent valve which also broke the spring. Seen this before and about a $200 fix for the parts and machine shop time. Which means I will still end up with an extra good powerhead once the valve is fixed. I guess I'm still looking for another non running outboard to make another good one. Maybe I just landed into a new side business without knowing it!!!

Wow went to Sherwood Marine this morning and went 3 for 3 with parts I wanted in stock. Walked out of the store with base gasket, t-stat and pump impeller. Nice when that happens and no second trip required.

Got the powerhead back on last night, changed the pump impeller, gear oil, t-stat, new oil filter & oil. Decided I'm going to changed the small leg zinc and removed the power tilt armature cover...going to have it sand blasted and then re-paint to make the motor perfect. I need to free up the little keeper that the engine rests on when tilted up for trailering so the weight is off the trim motor. I'm assuming the previous owner never used it and trailered with the motor fully down so it is stuck from not being worked occasionally.

Yeh I've had these motors so long and apart so many times it is easy for me now...I don't even have to label bolts and pieces as I know where it all goes. I probably won't get pics and a running video until the weekend...it gets dark so early now and I don't get home from work until its already almost dark.

Yeh I've had these motors so long and apart so many times it is easy for me now...I don't even have to label bolts and pieces as I know where it all goes. I probably won't get pics and a running video until the weekend...it gets dark so early now and I don't get home from work until its already almost dark.
i understand, i am the same way with a cummins, lol

Just blasted the tilt motor cover at Victoria Plating. They were nice enough to allow me to do it myself which took all of 5 minutes. You can see the rough area where there was rust. This is a painted steel part which is crazy money to replace as I believe you have to buy the entire motor with it. Once I repaint it will look like new as you can’t see the one end anyway. Just posting this so you guys look at yours and keep them from rusting to the point a pin hole develops. Its an electric pump motor inside and saltwater will kill it instantly if it gets inside.
blasted.jpg

You wanna do the clutch on my Ram 4 X4 Cummins 5 speed? lol

And now painted and protected for the new owner.
painted.jpg

I used to have that same foosball table. Costco?

No Sears I think

Ok here are some pics of the motor....just have to find the right torque specs for the flywheel nut and the 6 head bolts. I know the head bolts are a 2 step torque, once around at half the final then finish them off the 2nd time around. The pics are sideways but decided to leave them as you can see the entire picture without scrolling if I changed them.motor6.jpg

Attachments

• motor7.jpg
    motor7.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 33
  • motor8.jpg
    motor8.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 33
sold

Back