New to saltwater fishing Sidney, BC area - would really appreciate some pointers!

Hi all. My mom & dad have been living in Victoria for a few years and my old man finally followed his dream and bought himself a boat (Grand Banks trawler)! I'm visiting them over Christmas and we'd like to try some salmon fishing in the Sidney area. We're both avid fisherman, but "new'ish" to fishing BC. We took a charter out of Victoria last year to learn the ropes which was great. Downrigging clearly seems to be the preferred technique but unfortunately his trawler has a minimum speed of ~5 knots. So I'd like to ask:

1) What other methods can we employ (i.e. bottom fishing eggs/chunk bait, live-lining herring, jigging buzz bombs etc)?
2) Are these methods effective or are we wasting our time?
3) I assume location is critical when jigging or using live bait or chunks. If these methods are effective and location is key, can you recommend some spots for us to look into over Christmas (PM me if you dont want to spot burn :))?
4) If these methods work, I assume you drift when live-lining or jigging, but do you anchor when chunking?
5) What shall we be targeting? Steelhead, Spring Salmon?

Thanks all. Really looking forward to getting to know the community. I'll get my old man to register soon too!

I would not rule out downriggers since you were given bad information about the minimum speed of ~5 knots. Certainly when the boat is docking, it is not going 5 knots! Most all GB's have twin inboards, and the older versions have Ford Lehman 120 or 135 hp engines which GB owners wishing to fish typically operate only one engine and troll with engine RPM's south of 1000. good luck. DAJ

5 knots is a pretty quick troll speed, maybe a sea anchor could slow you down to 2.5 knots ?
otherwise, jigging with needelfish jigs can be very effective for salmon at certain times of the year.
Halibut fishing could be an option, either anchored or drifting with bait, mackerel, herring, salmon bellies.

I would not rule out downriggers since you were given bad information about the minimum speed of ~5 knots. Certainly when the boat is docking, it is not going 5 knots! Most all GB's have twin inboards, and the older versions have Ford Lehman 120 or 135 hp engines which GB owners wishing to fish typically operate only one engine and troll with engine RPM's south of 1000. good luck. DAJ

Let me try get more information about the specs. Unfortunately it's difficult because the guy he bought it from lives on the other side of the country and has been unresponsive post-sale. Running one engine (if possible) would be a great solution. What speed would you recommend is optimal for salmon? I'm guessing ~2 knots correct? Thank you.

5 knots is a pretty quick troll speed, maybe a sea anchor could slow you down to 2.5 knots ?
otherwise, jigging with needelfish jigs can be very effective for salmon at certain times of the year.
Halibut fishing could be an option, either anchored or drifting with bait, mackerel, herring, salmon bellies.

Glad you would recommend these other methods too (albeit not as effective as downrigging). But how do you go about finding bait balls or hot spots? I know fisherman can dead cold about sharing spots (haha, I'm the same), but a general guideline of where we can go out of Sidney in Dec/Jan would be great (i.e. Saanich inlet, Pender, Haro etc). We have no idea which direction to head. I read that Steelhead and Spring Salmon are what you catch in December. Where's our best bet when coming out of Sidney to go for Steelhead? Thanks!

You won't find too many steelhead in the ocean, they exist but are rarely caught.
Winter (feeder) springs would be your main target in December.
They can be caught trolling Sidney channel, near James island etc.

buzz bombs on the bottom in 100ish+ ft of water out in sidney can be good for winter springs... still trolling is my preference.... and sooke my preference for location. live bait is practically a dead art up here now.

since salmon are usually on the move location is not super critical - you can catch one practically anywhere, but certain locations on certain days will hold more fish... thus patience's becomes a virtue when jigging.

Look for bait balls on the sounder, drop the buzz bomb down into it. chances are something will bite (most likley a rockcod or a ling)

There's a trawler forum I ran across once it had some pertinent info on how to fish from one in BC.

As to winter Springs spoons like the smaller Titans from Oki would do the trick.

front_1.jpg

jigging will work in Sidney, but trolling is usually better. Sidney channel and around james island can be a good place to drift for winter springs. The main bait would be needlefish so long slender jigs fished right on the bottom would be best. If you can find bait balls you'll likely find fish.

If you can get trolling needlefish squirts and small spoons right on the bottom is the go to for sidney. If you can get the boat down to 3knots you'll be fine.

You won't find too many steelhead in the ocean, they exist but are rarely caught.
Winter (feeder) springs would be your main target in December.
They can be caught trolling Sidney channel, near James island etc.

Great info, thanks. So we'll be targeting Winter Springs then. What size fish are we talking about? Big boys? Also, please have a look at the pic. Are you referring to the A or B channel around James Island? Thanks!

screengrab

buzz bombs on the bottom in 100ish+ ft of water out in sidney can be good for winter springs... still trolling is my preference.... and sooke my preference for location. live bait is practically a dead art up here now.

since salmon are usually on the move location is not super critical - you can catch one practically anywhere, but certain locations on certain days will hold more fish... thus patience's becomes a virtue when jigging.

Look for bait balls on the sounder, drop the buzz bomb down into it. chances are something will bite (most likley a rockcod or a ling)

Got it thanks. How come live bait is a dead art? It's so effective here on the east coast. We use Sabikis to catch herring/mackerel and live line them. Works like a charm!

There's a trawler forum I ran across once it had some pertinent info on how to fish from one in BC.

As to winter Springs spoons like the smaller Titans from Oki would do the trick.

Yeah these spoons seem very popular. But I assume you're talking about trolling them vs jigging correct? What size spoons are you thinking about. Also, what size Springs would we be targeting. Thanks.

jigging will work in Sidney, but trolling is usually better. Sidney channel and around james island can be a good place to drift for winter springs. The main bait would be needlefish so long slender jigs fished right on the bottom would be best. If you can find bait balls you'll likely find fish.

If you can get trolling needlefish squirts and small spoons right on the bottom is the go to for sidney. If you can get the boat down to 3knots you'll be fine.

This is exactly what I wanted to know, thanks! So 3 knots if trolling and use needlefish skirt type lures? If we cant troll, then find bait balls and jig buzz bombs? Sounds like a plan, thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

How deep is the channel at James Island? Is is 100'+ ?I also posted a pic asking about which side of the island to fish. It's being reviewed by the mods and will likely show up soon. Thank you Sir!

So I got more information on the engine. Its a single engine, Ford Lehman, single 120hp, 380 ci. 6 cyl diesel. Was the information we had correct?

How deep is the channel at James Island? Is is 100'+ ?I also posted a pic asking about which side of the island to fish. It's being reviewed by the mods and will likely show up soon. Thank you Sir!

Sidney is not by any means the hot spot(though it does have its moments) on vancouver island, and i have been skunked on my searches for fish out there on many occasions...Perseverance will be key. Id be more then happy to join you on an outing and share my knowledge... shoot me a Pm if your interested!

around 100 feet. Sidney is not by any means the hot spot(though it does have its moments) on vancouver island, and i have been skunked on my searches for fish out there on many occasions...Perseverance will be key.

Is there any time of year that it is a hot spot, or is any month of the year as good as the rest? As long as it's the best shot out of Sidney, I will be happy. Thanks again for all the info guys. This is really helpful.

Is there any time of year that it is a hot spot, or is any month of the year as good as the rest? As long as it's the best shot out of Sidney, I will be happy. Thanks again for all the info guys. This is really helpful.

I'm not a Sidney expert , but would say April through early June is usually the best time for Springs in the 10-25 lb range.

Outstanding halibut fishing off Sidney.

It's a well kept secret. Some guys trailer their boats from Vic to Sidney to fish some low pressure, high results spots. You'll have to put in the time to find them though. just because its great fishing doesn't mean it's easy especially for a beginner. Put in the hours (more likely days) and you'll figure it out.

Back