New Motor from Honda: BF350!

Well I wasn't going to say it, but now I guess I have to. I now have full access to Honda parts. Can't get engines right now but I'm hoping sometime next year. Honda Canada is still way behind. There
Would you look at my 225 ???it’s still on the hard in port renfrew now, and not sure where I am going with it, from my research( google lol) I think it’s a trust bearing issue, but it’s just a guess at this point, just not willing to put lots of $ on a almost 20 year old honda

Did you publish your performance numbers or do a fishing video yet on your current beast?
We’ve fished the heck out of her and have about 130 hours this season, and that includes us being gone for 3 weeks of our prime fishing season. No videos. I still need to do a full walkthrough video.

Honda had a great reputation. I’m 2 years out from #3 anyway. My DF350s have been awesome and I do love the duoprop, but I’d like to run 87 octane without adding octane boost every time.

but I’d like to run 87 octane without adding octane boost every time.
Id say most amrainas carry premium now and why would you NOT want the good fuel in it we spend insdane amounts on boats and gear etc a few more cents for WAY better fuel your engine will love it. your really not saving money in the long run ...FUEL is the cheapest thing we put in our boats to be honest...

Id say most amrainas carry premium now and why would you NOT want the good fuel in it we spend insdane amounts on boats and gear etc a few more cents for WAY better fuel your engine will love it. your really not saving money in the long run ...FUEL is the cheapest thing we put in our boats to be honest...
So true, Wolf. Plus half the ethanol in premium.

Ethanol has a much lower energy value, about 1/3 less, than gasoline and is hydroscopic - absorbing moisture which has no value and may be harmful to engine components. It's supposed to help with emissions but when you burn more to get a similar energy output as with premium, how does that make sense? I say to the people so concerned with fuel prices : " Maybe boating is not for you."

Last edited:
I don't see any of the major 4- stroke outboard manufacturer's that recommend
high octane fuel ?
Most show regular gas in their specs
maybe I'm missing something.

I don't see any of the major 4- stroke outboard manufacturer's that recommend
high octane fuel ?
Most show regular gas in their specs
maybe I'm missing something.
No, but they are captive to the naieve environmental activists and politicians. Ethanol, as noted earlier, produces less energy per unit. It also requires enormous energy to produce, considering it's sourced from corn grown on crop lands and requires energy for cultivation and harvesting. The transportation, processing and distillation is very energy intensive, as well. Studies have shown that ethanol is actually more carbon intensive than gasoline, when the full production chain is analyzed. With 10% ethanol in low octane gasoline, your engine performance will be reduced by about 5-7%.

Our marinas and your marinas are very different. I think only 1-2 in Washington marinas offer above 87 octane. Westport has diesel and 87. I can only buy what’s available, so we have to add octane boost to at least get to 89, which is the minimum octane Suzuki recommends for their DF300A and DF350.

I run the recommended octane. If Honda and Merc build their motors to run on 87, then paying more for 89-93 isn’t going to give a noticeable improvement.

I love people knocking Honda without being able to back it up. Every outboard brand has issues with some models and any engine that is 15 years old could have major issues in a salt water environment. Support is the biggest issue, dealers have a hard enough time getting mechanics much less training them on each brand.

If an engine maker try’s to do too much it is worth skipping the first generation of an engine. It looks like the first gen 350 suzuki and Yamahas fall in that catagory. Although the claims made of the fuel economy on the Honda are pretty impressive it seems like a standard v 8 engine. If a guy has local support a 5 year warranty on a vtech is pretty good.

I think it’s great news Honda is staying in the game and dealers are more likely to carry their whole line up if they can repower almost any boat.

Love my Honda’s and if I was repowering they would be my first consideration. If I had a big boat the tried and tested yami 300 would be my first consideration but I’ll likely never own a boat that big.

WELL this is a BC sportfishing forum not a US based forum so my bad . Im taking BC waters and marinas you have a different set of rules and regs etc .
Dont get me wrong HONDAS are great motors had a honda 7.5 for many years easy to work on etc handles where a real pain but great engines .
I went with what is the best at time and service alot or zuk dealers and many shops work on them and a 6 year warrenty . in 5 years time ill trade that motor in or sell it and buy another 350 DP as it makes sense to have a warrenty on engines especially the money factor.
Most big engines in owners manual tell you to use higher octane. even dealers tell you too.

That's what I thought. My buddy with the cat is running the 300s and he insisted that 87 was all it needed. Is it just the 350s that need the higher octane?
Like others have said if it was just octane, it’s the f… corn juice they put in it that’s nasty, believe me I pulled hundreds of small carbs apart over the last 10 years and that jelly is a killer, I run 94 in all my small engines now, and barely have any issue anymore

Like others have said if it was just octane, it’s the f… corn juice they put in it that’s nasty, believe me I pulled hundreds of small carbs apart over the last 10 years and that jelly is a killer, I run 94 in all my small engines now, and barely have any issue anymore
Exactly. Octane is not the issue. Octane is just an anti-knock agent. High octane fuels will not cause problems for lower compression engines. But forget octane. You literally get more bang for your buck with premium gas. Only because of our crazy environmental legislation, ethanol is added to fuel. Now, you apparently cannot buy zero ethanol gas but premium contains half as much ethanol as typical regular. Consider that fuel with ethanol has less energy value than straight gas - simple chemistry and thermodynamics. They can't add ethanol to av gas for just that reason.

In the end, when you compare apples to apples, premium gas provides better performance, is better value and creates fewer mechanical issues. Keep an accurate record and the same conditions. Run a tank of "cheap" gas, then a tank of premium. Compare the costs per hour.

This from a Car and Driver test with a Ford high performance 3.5 liter V-6:
"When higher-octane fuel is flowing through its injectors, the engine controller can take advantage of the elevated knock threshold and dial in more aggressive timing to improve performance...Power at the wheels dropped from 380 to 360 horsepower with the change from 93 to 87 octane. That difference seemed to grow, and we could even feel it from the driver's seat at the test track. Compared with premium fuel, regular feed sapped the F-150's urgency both leaving the line and in the meat of the tach sweep. The rush to 60 mph softened to a still-blistering 5.9 seconds, and the quarter-mile stretched from 14.0 to 14.5 seconds, with trap speed falling 4 mph. The high-octane gas also helped when soft-pedaling the accelerator, elevating 75-mph fuel economy from 17.0 to 17.6 mpg. "

This report did not consider the performance losses related to ethanol, either. Gas boat engines are also high performance units, maybe not needing premium gas but operating better with it..

Last edited:
Well I can tell you I know the turbos on the verados do not like the regular gas buddy figured go with cheaper fuel 2 years later turbo fails first question he was asked did you run higher octane thru it??? uuuuummmm no so a new turno it was so in the long run he didnt save a thing run the good stuff the motor will like you for it.....

Well I can tell you I know the turbos on the verados do not like the regular gas buddy figured go with cheaper fuel 2 years later turbo fails first question he was asked did you run higher octane thru it??? uuuuummmm no so a new turno it was so in the long run he didnt save a thing run the good stuff the motor will like you for it.....
your buddy needs a new mechanic, verado's don't have turbo's. and a supercharger or turbo for that matter are just air compressors and do not care what fuel you use. fuel enters after the fact

Back