NEW Halibut Regulations...... Whats your thought ?

high tide

Just wondering what every one thinks of the New Halibut Regulations of 133 and 90 CM and 1 per day and 2 possession ....... Do you think its right, or fair for the Sportfishers?

Do you think its right to release fish that may be so injured that their survivability is unlikely ? Do you support the Buy Quota issue ?

Whats your opinion ?

HT

Here we go!! ;)

As for releasing fish that are injured....it is far from just a halibut issue. It is a slot limit issue, wild versus hatch issue etc.

A few years back off Kyuquot I must have tied into 80-100 coho in 3ish days of fishing, mostly wild and a ton of 'injured' wild coho sunk to the depths to feed the bottom dwellers. It was hatchery only then and seemed like such a waste.

As for Hali....minimal difference from last year with respect to size.

If I may speak for the bulk of the forum.....'buying quota' = 'uncool'. ;)

Pippen...................it works out to about a 10 lb bigger fish that we can keep. Significant for me as i released last year 7 or 8 that would have been legal this year. Hope i find them again ;)

Roger that.....and good to hear. As I only get to target them a few times a year I am pretty happy no matter what I can get. ;)

Being from the mainland I only get one opportunity a year to halibut fish. Give the guides some work in the Victoria area.

For me it would be nice to catch my yearly limit in a day or weekend trip.

If a yearly limit is in place what is the point of a daily or possession limit? If you go over the day or possession your are breaking the law. If you go over the yearly limit you are breaking the law. It makes no sense for me to have to make 3 trips to the island and pay a guide to take me out for 6 days in the water for 6 halibut.

If someone is going to go over their limit they are going to do it no matter what the restrictions are.

Roger that.....and good to hear. As I only get to target them a few times a year I am pretty happy no matter what I can get. ;)

Ditto!

tough to come across white fish on the inside...except for all the white springs I caught at the Hump in May.

What's a Halibut?

I'm happy with the new regs but always room to improve. Don't support buying quota. I wouldn't worry about any Hali I release they are tough SOB's can't picture a little hook taking very many 80lb fish out no matter how bad it looks if the line is quickly cut.

Lots of damage could be done trying to wrestle hooks back though but that's the anglers choice. IMO if it swims away its survived weather it dies hours, days, months later is pure speculation nobody can know for sure.

I caught a nice Hali last year with 1 eye and a huge scar over the other. Looked like it had previously been violently released whoever did probably thought it was a goner but nope it was just fine.

Better than last years!

Do you think its right to release fish that may be so injured that their survivability is unlikely ? Do you support the Buy Quota issue ?

I've yet to injure a halibut seriously enough that it wasn't going to survive with circle hooks, and jigging with trebles... you're not spearing or gaffing them so it is easier to get the hook out of their mouths are you?

Dr. Mad Cow .......
Are you feeling OK ...... Of course I'm harpooning them then gaffing them to get back a 40/0 treble back out of their guts ........ They are expensive, the welding shop I have to specially make up the Giant hooks are expensive, But I'm sure they survive all three injuries ........ It's way easier to get your hooks back, and you get to reuse your bait too.

Apparently the Mad Cow disease has gone to your brain

Man oh man a guy can't even ask for people's opinions and thoughts on ridiculous regulations.

Dr. Mad Cow .......
Are you feeling OK ...... Of course I'm harpooning them then gaffing them to get back a 40/0 treble back out of their guts ........ They are expensive, the welding shop I have to specially make up the Giant hooks are expensive, But I'm sure they survive all three injuries ........ It's way easier to get your hooks back, and you get to reuse your bait too.

Apparently the Mad Cow disease has gone to your brain

Man oh man a guy can't even ask for people's opinions and thoughts on ridiculous regulations.

Or is it you don't want to hear opinions that differ from yours? Totally uncalled for

Or is it you don't want to hear opinions that differ from yours? Totally uncalled for

Dr. Mad. Cow asks a stupid question ........ Do I spear or gaff them to get my hooks back?
What do you think ?

I could care less if people agree or don't agree with my opinion on this regulation and the discrimination on the sport fisher by DFO . His stupid question deserved an equally stupid response. His question ........ Like your response is totally uncalled for.

I see you had responded earlier and have an opinion on this reg which is fine and who knows you may be correct. Do you work for DFO?

so Back to the original question in post 1 .......

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Mad. Cow asks a stupid question ........ Do I spear or gaff them to get my hooks back?
What do you think ?

I could care less if people agree or don't agree with my opinion on this regulation and the discrimination on the sport fisher by DFO . His stupid question deserved an equally stupid response. His question ........ Like your response is totally uncalled for. If you don't have any opinion on the original posted question, then get off your high horse.
Well, when you come in asking a question that's been hashed over REPEATEDLY before, what do you expect? Regardless of your opinion and even if I (we) agree with it, some get tired of the constant whining when we could instead be talking about fishing.

Seadna, not every one has joined or been on this site like the " claimed to be know it alls " and may have opinions on this discrimination on this regulation.

So , yet again ........ a stupid response for a legitimate questions in post 1

Back