New Halibut Regulations Update

Don't even go there first nations dude your going to open a whole other can of worms!!!

Lorne, you are calling it what it isn't here. Some guides may gift a lot but not all of us. That is how it reads. You should go back and reread. I only do it if I happen to have a spare piece and a customer was unlucky. It is never been advertised and it is seldom done on my boat. Why do you keep assuming the worst out of people who you do not know??? If I gift it is because I care for my guest and want them to get to enjoy a piece of fish, not to assure future business like you think. They come back to fish with me because I treat them like friends and not a paycheck, not for gifted fish. All the aquaintances at the dock to who most of my gifted fish go are never going to be future clients. In you vision of me why would I be so stupid to give fish to any body who isn't paying me eh???
I think you do have a problem of jealousy to guides and that is what keeps you going on the idea of us all being so money hungry. These are your impressions only and you must be imagining what you would be doing in these sinerios. I can tell you that you are very far from alike and would be more of oppossites than not! If you are having trouble connecting the dots while reading that is because you are applying your own greedy personality into the sinerios. If you had the capabillity of just reading without bias than there would be a chance for you to understand.
For your info the cost of a charter has gone up this year. four people now cost about $1600 depending on where we fish and not $1000. There that should get your gears turning and help fuel your jealous burn some more with the idea of all the millions I am raking in consuming your portion of TAC
Lorne, your passion for fishing is impressive but the assumption of greed you keep applying to your fellow angler or guides is most repulsive. I hope someday you will grow up and realise not everybody is as greedy as you think.

You are the spin master! I never said it was every guide. I never it was advertized, and most of all i never said it was a bad thing!! I think gifting is fine. I gift TONS of fish. I dont assume anything. I read what you wrote and posed a few questions. It doesnt take anyone brilliant to connect the gifting of a guide to patron towards the business. I never said you dont gift to LOTS of other people whom of which may not be clients. But we(you) werent talking about those scenario's. We are talking about guides gifting to clients. And no i dont think its greedy. You can play it off like you are a nice guy (and im sure you are) But if a guy pays you for a charter, catches nothing, and you gift him a fish, to say its got nothing to do with the monetary side of things is laughable! Maybe this year if you take anyone out and they dont catch anything, dont charge them. Give them there money back!

Anyway, im done being roped into this counter-productive discussions with you. I have all but walked away from most of this. But man, call it what it is. I and many of us have ZERO problems with guides. We need you guys to continue this fight(as well as you need us) I have a problem with the its being spun by some. thats all.

Lastly, I am sick and tired of you labeling me as a guide hater and jealous. You wuld be surprised(or not) at the amount of guides that i talk to and consider friends. Many of which DO NOT support this. If you Knew me you wouldnt be saying that. My friends, family and I have spent 10's of thousands of dollars with guides over the years.(much of that money was spent with your buddies in the WCGA) We have 2 trips booked this year with outfits. 1 on the north island and one out of sooke. Totalling around 7k.

What i am sick of, is you and a few others, trying to spin things that because you try and tip toe around the FACTS, that you make money off the resource. AND I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH IT AT ALL! Although im sure you are a great guy, but you dont take people fishing because you are a great guy, you dont gift fish cause you are a great guy, you dont go to meetings because you area great guy, you didnt endorse this recommendation because you are a great guy. You arent a fricking taxi, |You are a business and most of what you do is because of that. Thats it.

Lorne

Frick man, if we spent as much time working on a solutin to the allocation instead of proving our points to each other we'd have a 50/50 split in allocation by now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would be far easier to just get the charter boats & lodges to buy quota. I mean really how much would a charter guy need? a couple thousands lbs? Take out a loan & you get to write off the interest, as well as your liability insurance, fuel, tackle,motor,trailer,even part of your house mortgage if you run your business out of your home.Then you know exactly how many pounds you have to play with, your season goes from mar to nov.
Just get them transferred over to the commercial sector of the quota,then the sport & 1st nations sector would have that 15% all to themselves.

He says from the home that the white man bought him

well

cooled down a bit , made a couple of apologies ,
i try not to air my laundry on public forums...
after speakin to a couple good guide friends ,a sfab member ,also a gd friend , a couple Yanks , and a **** load of Sporty's , that spend alot of time and $$$$ in ur communities from across the pond , gas , tackle , food , booze ,ferry’s , accommodation , for friends and familly ,yada yada yada ,
I meet a lot of new friends over there every year , and they “ Lurk” this forum ta keep in the loop…
We all love the sport , and truly care what happens to it, they all asked me wtf happened ??? , I could not tell them . again , the process is what we are upset about , there are way to many of us that geographically cannot attend these meetings , it should be made more public ahead of time is all...
We were given a extra 3% with a kiss , and the given a Slot Size with a Hard you know what right in the A$$$ m2b.... don’t get it,,,

I understand %100 how this came to play now, again , its been done , we will see where it goes , i feel optimistic today,...time will tell. from what ive been told , theres NO GUARANTEE that it will stay open all of August ,no need to keep selling that…. when dfo thinks weve hit our mark , they will shut er down !!! ( i agree Charlie )

as for the guys that say we DONT get it!
, thats ur opinion , we'll agree to disagree , there might be more that disagree than you think , maybe if there was more public discussion , we would have gotten it " before " it got voted in ???

Iv'e now asked the powers above to sign me up to a few of these groups , and i will do my best to make a meeting or 2 ,again the weekday evening times would make me miss a better part of 2 days of work BUT , , i will try to be the voice for all little Joes and big Joes, let them know whats going on , and if icant make it , someone else from the joe familly could perhaps fill us in on the meetings key points , and make it public... I do this for fun , I have 0 financial gain from this..

I truly hope the best for all lodges and guides to be successfull and live there dreams , hope this temp slot band-aid helps keep ya all afloat and survive the next few seasons . I agree , there not all rich , there not rock stars , there just trying to make a living that alot of us envy ,BUT , for the future guys thinkin of opening up Lodges , or becoming guides to make a living , you might want ta think twice , times are changin ,

I see someone used a poll on our site , interesting , this could really help us ,try it real soon !!!

any ways , thats it ,

gd lk ta ya all , Yes , lets get out there and fish.... : )

FD

Last edited by a moderator:
Your welcome Jackel.
Lorne, you still got me wrong. I run a charter boat for money. Everybody pays weither the cooler is full or not. If I gift a fish to a guest it is exectly that, a gift. It is because I am a nice guy and not to ensure future bussiness. Gifting as you discribe it must be something you do with the guides you fish with. I have always taken pride in selling fishing and never fish. That is why I find your idea that I gift my fish for profit is so insulting.

Your welcome Jackel.
Lorne, you still got me wrong. I run a charter boat for money. Everybody pays weither the cooler is full or not. If I gift a fish to a guest it is exectly that, a gift. It is because I am a nice guy and not to ensure future bussiness. Gifting as you discribe it must be something you do with the guides you fish with. I have always taken pride in selling fishing and never fish. That is why I find your idea that I gift my fish for profit is so insulting.

I got a great laugh when Lorne wrote about a scenario where you didn't catch any fish, lol.

He obviously doesn't fish the WCVI.

He says from the home that the white man bought him
The white man bought me? Sorry to burst your bubble my racial profiling friend, but i grew up off reserve So i had to buy a house just like you,& pay taxes just like you.Heck i even vote federally provincially & minicipally(something that fewer than 50% of canadians do.)You'd be surprised how many off my white friends try to get me to get them gas, smokes, buy outboard motors for them tax free.You name it & they've asked me to get it for them,heck i've even had guys ask me to go out sport fishing with them cus they think i can get more fish for them on my food fish permit! Lol.
But getting back to that can of worms,if the sport sector gets so much more value per lb for halibut,then i don't see why the guys making a living off of a resource that belongs to all Canadians would be a problem? Especially like big outfits like the Oak Bay Marine group?I've heard the argument that there not actually the ones catching the fish but doesn't that make the the same as slipper fishermen? Worse actually cus the slipper fishermen had to pay for quota.Mind you the original quota holders got there's for free back in the early 90's but those guys are long gone & retired from the industry.I'm just saying if you kicked the charter guys into the commercial sector that the sport quota would never get caught & the sport sectors season would get extended until we were sick of fishing hali's.

Now there is a radical thought eh? Take all the guys that make money off the halibut fishery and call them commercial and those that fish for halibut and don't make money-call them Sports or recreational fisherman. Isn't that an interesting thought!!

Considering that the total quota for the west coast of Canada is just over 7 million pounds, that works out to around one quarter to one third of a pound of halibut per canadian citizen. I guess that's why it's so expensive? Take into account that a lot of the clients that partake in this fishery aren't even Canadian,they just fly in & fly out so a good portion of 'our' fish are going to people that aren't even citizens.

Trying to correctly separate rec and guided american or canadian would be very confusing as usefull as the long gun registry!

I would like to add my opinion to the recent posts about halibut.
Fishing Guides feel their place in the Sports Fishing Industry is providing the opportunity for those who cannot afford or do not have the skill or means to catch fish on their own.
Most Fishing Charter operators are not motivated by the sport of fishing, but by the CASH they can put in their pocket. (kinda like selling your catch when you claim to be a Sports Fisherman)
If you check to see who buy these charters, for the most part they are well off or even rich people, often foreigners, who are not committed to the sport enough to invest the time, money or effort to do it on their own. (Certainly not the needy or unemployed.)
The issue exists in Salmon Fishing, (Spring Salmon in particular!)
Yes, Commercial Fish Guides do make a contribution to the Economy, but is it fair to proper to call these Commercial Fishers Sport Fisherman??
This will no doubt be a very unpopular opinion with some, I am sure!!!!
Can’t wait to see if anyone offers a reply to this post!
Maybe there are a few other Sport Fisherman out there that agree with me? (perhaps not on this site)

If you check to see who buy these charters, for the most part they are well off or even rich people, often foreigners, who are not committed to the sport enough to invest the time, money or effort to do it on their own. (Certainly not the needy or unemployed.)

Possibly one of the most uneducated comments in all of the halibut threads. The average guest I take out is just an average Joe who can just afford to go on a fishing trip. Most guests we get(out of Victoria) who want to halibut fish are Locals or Albertans not rich oil tycoons from Texas.

If you don't know what you're talking about its best to keep your mouth shut.

Id say your head is a little foggy,might want to turn on your radar ,lots of guys i take out are older ,long time fisherman who have a tough time dealing with boats anymore ,the cost for insurance and maintence alone for some make a day trip or two well worth a local charter,you must be thinking of some of the higher end lodges who charge $1000 plus a day per person,independent charters contribute far more into the local economy ,but lets not go down that road

HERE HERE Steve fogged in is well "IN THE FOG"

I'm not taking sides, but the average client at Langara Lodge is not an average Joe unless his rich boss is paying. Moot point anyways. Everyone deserves an opportunity to catch a halibut, even rich people.
Nonetheless, these halibut threads are the most devisive in the history of the forum (with the exception of some psycho-steelie threads) and that is sad. Some petty, selfish, uninformed, and ignorant statements are coming from all sides. Go catch a fish for crying out loud. Or buy one. Or get a friend to give you one. Or don't.
It's time for a group hug and more posts about spoons, leader lengths, how to replace an impeller etc...

Go catch a fish for crying out loud. Or buy one. Or get a friend to give you one. Or don't.
It's time for a group hug and more posts about spoons, leader lengths, how to replace an impeller etc...

haha, this is a great post tubber. I like 63" leaders for my teasers. You?

Back