new fisherman

holfedian

hey guys... I'm wanting to get into summer/spring freshwater fishing and i love salmon! I'm wondering if anyone knows a good book or website i can get all the info i need... the type of bait, the type of freshwater spots, the best time of the season, the type of rod. I live on vancouver island and want an outdoor activity to get into while hunting season is off! cheers thanks for any information you can give me!
God bless,
Nick

I'm looking to target... salmon... i don't know the names of different species i just like the taste of salmon...

trout in the winter can taste like salmon. I'll take salmon over trout any day though. In the summer trout can taste a bit muddy. You will find bass, yellow perch, common carp, sunfish, cutthroat trout, and rainbow trout in the lakes around victoria. Floating powerbait off he bottom is probably the technique you will use if you dont have a boat. Google images powerbait fishing rig, it will be the first image. thats how you should rig your rod. A 6'6 rod with a light reel and some 6lb line should get you started.

kunni

It's a pink salmon run on the south island this year and there are quite a few spots you could chuck out a lure in the ocean as well. You'll need to wait till around August though and you'll likely want a 8-10 ft rod loaded with 15-20 lb test. Likely to even hook into the odd chinook if you put the time in. Most of the lakes should be pretty hot right now for another month or two.

I've recently become an addict myself ;)

Search for my posts over the last month or so, I asked a lot of noob questions and got some amazing help. You should find some good info to start with in those posts.

Cheers

Yea if I were you, Id be putting in as many hours on the freshwater as possible to get yourself ready for salmon season this summer/fall. You'll be able to get casting down pretty well that way, and when your not able to fish do your research on salmon life cycles a feeding patterns. Also while on the freshwater, talk to as many people as possible and they will be more than happy to answer any questions you have and will probably be able to point you in the right direction for beach fishing areas close to where you live. This website also contains some valuable information, but in regards to fishing spots I think fishermen will be more likely to share that information with you in person. Also, I find its worth it to spend the little bit more money and do all your shopping at a local fishing store rather than a big box store like walmart or canadian tire. In the long run you will get to know these guys on a first name basis and they get to talk to more fishermen then any. They will be more than happy to give you the low down on where to focus your time and efforts. Other then those tips, just fish fish fish as much as possible and you'll get the hang of it!

Best of luck to you and your new hobby, looking forwards to seeing more post from you here.

Mike

I went down to island out fitters the other day and get my rod ready with a the powerbait... I'll be fishing at spectacle lake tomorrow! I hope it works out well! thanks for all the help guys
cheers
nick

all i got to say is hit up the pink salmon runs out in nile creek and Campbell river. a bit challenging at first to catch.. but once you learn it is a ton of fun on light spin gear or a fly rod.

cought some rainbow trout last weekend at spectacle lake! tons of fun! and my fiancee loved it too! this might be a life time hobby!

cought some rainbow trout last weekend at spectacle lake! tons of fun! and my fiancee loved it too! this might be a life time hobby!

...maybe also some little fishing buddies in the making...;) :)

ya i was pretty excited when she was asking to go agian! I sure hope there will be some little fishermen on their way one of these days! God knows we need some more youth out there that get out from in front of their video games to do something more useful!

Back