New closed killer whale critical areas

I am at work and have not listened to vid. Did they announce closures?or did they announce CH designation!

Last edited:
Government of Canada protects two new areas off British Columbia’s coast for Resident Killer Whales

The newly identified areas of critical habitat announced today are located in the waters off the coast of southwestern Vancouver Island, including Swiftsure and La Pérouse Banks, and in western Dixon Entrance, all of which are key foraging areas for both Resident Killer Whales. These new zones will increase the area of critical habitat for endangered killer whales by approximately 6,419 square kilometers to an area of approximately 10,714 square kilometres of Canadian waters. Designating these areas as “critical habitat” ensures they are legally protected against destruction that could hinder survival or recovery of the whales.

1545240272468.jpg

Going forward, the government will be considering what additional measures are required to enhance protection within these areas of critical habitat to assist with the recovery of the whale population...

Hmmmmm....
Nog

The first Indent smack dab in the middle of the new critical habitat is Barkley.

Man am I ever glad I bought my bigger boat, who knows where a guy might have to head to be able to fish. May as well get out there and get after it and enjoy it as much as we can while we can people, looks like we only have a couple years left at best.

PS.
There's an election coming up in a year, don't forget this **** when it comes time.

This is not really news, it would have been shocking if these areas were not designated as CH, regardless of if they should or not. The real decision is what if any restrictions to fishing are instituted. I have trouble believing restrictions will be instituted around langara island or Naden Harbour given the multimillion$ lodges up there, but maybe WCVI is more at risk.

Not in this country they won't and not under this government not a chance.
I believe that FN will be the only ones this Gov wants fishing in the near future, not a problem, they will own ALL the lodges. Look what's happening to the BC guiding territories?? Sunny Ways, and more to come. I know some will call me a pessimist. Have I been wrong so far????

HM

Wait to see how the Greens deal with this.

They were the ones who developed this.

Guys.. this is the same announcement from a couple weeks ago??? we are now working on what impacts it may have ...I use the words May ....

Last edited:
This is not really news, it would have been shocking if these areas were not designated as CH, regardless of if they should or not. The real decision is what if any restrictions to fishing are instituted. I have trouble believing restrictions will be instituted around langara island or Naden Harbour given the multimillion$ lodges up there, but maybe WCVI is more at risk.

Agree with Derby. The areas were designated two weeks ago ( was everyone watching??), and NO management measurement have been implemented yet. Why panic, and get ultra negative before any decisions have been reached? It won't help the fishery at this point, and just spreads rumors and fear.

Anybody seen a more detailed map yet? Im interested to see where exactly the Langara closure starts.

That really is a ****** map... Skidegate Channel looks 30km wide and Langara Island is missing!

It's difficult at this point to determine what all of this means to the recreational fishing sector. This didn't come as a surprise, there had been talk about this almost all summer long. Hopefully it's not all doom. There has to be a balance to all the stakeholders I would like to think. Fingers crossed

Anybody seen a more detailed map yet? Im interested to see where exactly the Langara closure starts.

I saw another map, as far as naden and langara go, the line basically goes from Edenshaw across to cape naden, then along the entire shoreline to langara and stops somewhere in Parry pass, the west side of langara is unaffected but the east side is. To sum it up, all of the common fishing areas from the east side of langara back to masset fall under the new CH, even the offshore troller tacks.

Back