New Central Coast Crab Closures

These are the first closures that include Recreation fishing, there are spot closures up and down the Coast for commercial fishing and some seasonal commercial closures and some seasonal commercial trap limit reductions. There is a commercial closure that has a reduced rec limit (Nimpkish) for the summer but not totally closed. These are the first sweeping Rec closures for FSC purposes ....................... it is new.

I didnt take any liking to the part of the article where the FN threatened the feds and the feds just rolled over.

Then they started salmon is next. So what now? Rivers inlet will be shut down for sports fishing before we know it?

MPAs with FSC aloud

There's literally many dozens of crab closures in effect in the IFMP, for a variety of reasons. Many of these are FSC closures> This is nothing new.
This is vastly different. Much more going on than might appear when you scratch the surface....just wait, there's more coming. There are plenty of other ways to achieve sharing and ensure FSC food security without creating exclusion sanctuaries.

Not sure if the narwhale counts as unbiased news. There were many other measures that could have been tried before implementing full closures, but the request was to close, not explore management options. There are rumours of a right based commercial crab fishery being discussed so it will be interesting to see if any closures apply to that fishery if it starts up.
Interesting rumour....time will tell if it becomes fact. One thing to watch is this whole scheme was "sold" as FSC food security with assurances there WOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL SALES. We will soon see if the Nations can be trusted on their word. I hope so.

This is likely a foot in the door to more upcoming FN attmpts for control over 'traditional lands..

Last edited:
The commercial sector is going to put significant effort into this file as it is a game changer for all users on the coast. I have to ask what is the SFAB doing on this file. If our sectors can't grow up and come together on an issue as devastating as this we are all screwed.

The commercial sector is going to put significant effort into this file as it is a game changer for all users on the coast. I have to ask what is the SFAB doing on this file. If our sectors can't grow up and come together on an issue as devastating as this we are all screwed.

Other than ask for info and write motions that have already been written there is not much the SFAB can do as its an advisory body run by DFO.

Other than ask for info and write motions that have already been written there is not much the SFAB can do as its an advisory body run by DFO.
thank you. so who represents the sports sector in this capacity then SFI?
Reconcilliation in its current undefined state has the potential to take out logging, mining, fishing, hunting and every other resource based industry or recreational activity.

I'm not sure honestly, Maybe SFI? But it comes down to volunteers in organizations like SFI to form committees and dedicated people and resources to this file. Considering how slammed the few volunteers are on other issues its tough to see a big lobbying pressure put to reverse this.

ITs definitely going to be a big uphill climb when things are done under FSC. IMO the only thing to do is go to court and argue for access. Id definitely donate to a go fund me for a lawsuit. I'm not sure on the history of FSC and shellfish. The sparrow decision was primarily for salmon so not sure what court cases apply to shellfish and fsc.

Last edited:
FYI, the SFAB and Commercial reps had several meetings and jointly addressed some of the concerns we all had regarding this process, so we did actually work together on this file. I'm sure you appreciate this, so I'm providing this as background for others....the Public Fishery has different levers of influence we can lean upon that are not available to the Commercial partners and vice versa. So at times we also do need to adopt slightly different approaches. Everyone understands and respects the importance of ensuring we work collaboratively to find ways to ensure FSC food security needs are met. Where we differ with the view the "governance partners" took, is in use of science to first understand how, where, when and to what degree our fisheries might impede realization of food security for FSC. Data informed decision making was sort of lost in another agenda IMO.

FYI, the SFAB and Commercial reps had several meetings and jointly addressed some of the concerns we all had regarding this process, so we did actually work together on this file. I'm sure you appreciate this, so I'm providing this as background for others....the Public Fishery has different levers of influence we can lean upon that are not available to the Commercial partners and vice versa. So at times we also do need to adopt slightly different approaches. Everyone understands and respects the importance of ensuring we work collaboratively to find ways to ensure FSC food security needs are met. Where we differ with the view the "governance partners" took, is in use of science to first understand how, where, when and to what degree our fisheries might impede realization of food security for FSC. Data informed decision making was sort of lost in another agenda IMO.
Yes the data used was not accurate. All day zoom meeting today over the next rounds of closures.
Not very encouraging when this is one of the DFO coordinators email disclaimer. Easy to give away the farm if you’re a government employee getting a pension.
I would like to acknowledge the traditional territories of the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish), Tsleil-Waututh, and xʷməθkʷəy̓ əm (Musqueam) Nations on whose unceded territories I live and work as an uninvited guest and express my gratitude for the opportunity to do so. I recognize my place of birth was on the unceded traditional territory of the Lheidli T’enneh Nation (Prince George), for which I am grateful.

^^^
Am I the only one getting sick of hearing this opening comment on almost a daily basis?!

Although that one goes even further than others out there..fk

Yes the data used was not accurate. All day zoom meeting today over the next rounds of closures.
Not very encouraging when this is one of the DFO coordinators email disclaimer. Easy to give away the farm if you’re a government employee getting a pension.
I would like to acknowledge the traditional territories of the Sḵwx̱wú7mesh Úxwumixw (Squamish), Tsleil-Waututh, and xʷməθkʷəy̓ əm (Musqueam) Nations on whose unceded territories I live and work as an uninvited guest and express my gratitude for the opportunity to do so. I recognize my place of birth was on the unceded traditional territory of the Lheidli T’enneh Nation (Prince George), for which I am grateful.
Just brutal. What happened to be a proud British Columbian? Imagine being the poor ******* that has to put that in their email :(

Just need to add the 'bend-over' disclaimer to that and it will be perfect. Although it's so over the top, maybe it was a tongue in cheek protest?

Just need to add the 'bend-over' disclaimer to that and it will be perfect. Although it's so over the top, maybe it was a tongue in cheek protest?
No such luck. This person is pretty high up in the DFO food chain. I have to add that this is from the newly developed “Oceans” side of DFO. The side developed to get us all off the water.

Wow. What a goddamn joke. All he is missing is his preferred gender pronoun. Embarrassing.

Back