New boat

Charter Tofino

Finally picked up a new boat after looking all winter.2005 17.5 foot malibu tyee exact same model as double eagle. Powered by a 05 90 merc. When we went to pick it up today found a few minor problems. The leg was left in the water and grew barnacles which were taken off but the rings of their base remain and are really on there. Any ideas on how to get off? Also there are 3 chips in the gelcoat about an inch should we get these fixed? He was qoated 800$ to ge them fixed. Heres a few pics.

b.jpg

b1.jpg

barnacles
b2.jpg

b3.jpg

chip
b4.jpg

The gelcoat chips can be fixed for about 30 dollars yourself if you don't need a perfect, un-detectable job. Fair the spots smoothish (but slightly below surface) with short strand fiberglass filler (Ala Canadadian Tire Stuff), then take a chip of your gelcoat into Industrial Plastics. They will send it off, get it pretty close to matched, and you just slap it on, sand it down, then wet sand it to around 1000 grit. Buff and enjoy. Or, fill the holes with filler, sand smooth,paint over with a rattle can and call it good.

As for the leg, I don't know of any solvent that could attach a barnacle head. The best coating your leg has came from teh factory, I really wouldn't be in a rush to attack it with sandpaper.

For the barnacle rings 100 grit and a grinder then some good paint.

very nice kelly! what kind of electronics and stuff did it come with?we need to get otu fishing together oneday,you doing telegraph this summer?

Hmm anyone know why pics wont work? Never had a problem before
b.jpg

Not sure why the pics wont work. maybe this one will. Braden not to many electronics garmin gps/sounder and automatic bilge. VHF was stolen and attena was broken.Lastchance and tortuga thanks for the advice. Friend has some marine grade epoxy that he said will work well ill just add that in and sand down a bit. There was a few sctraches on the motor so ill get some touch up paint sand off the barnacles and touch it back up. Now all i need is to get some more work in to buy some new rod holders and downriggers then i can get back out fishing. CS email sent

I'm guessing the pics don't show cause Sex Toys I mean SportFishingBc uses lower case tags whereas photobucket uses upper case tags [IMG]
try changing it to lower case.

Hey Kelly
Nice boat! I'm just about completing a restore of a 16' DE myself. As far as the chips are concerned, anywhere you see white flakey glass you will want to grind out as this glass can no longer be counted upon for any integrity(nice boat though so if there's a lot talk to someone in the know first). Once you have this cleaned up you can apply some mat soaked in resin, grind down to the original profile of the surrounding area and grab yourself a preval spray kit and some gel coat to cover it all up. You'll want to mix the catalyzed gelcoat with about 20 % acetone to thin it down for spraying. When completely hardened smooth the gelcoat down with a 220 followed by some 3 or 4## wet. Hope this helps.

Can't see the pics but I'm sure I'll see it soon enough. Do you have a spot at the marina or are you gonna trailer it? When is the maiden voyage? If you need to borrow any gear I have lots(downriggers etc)Did you get my e-mail? I can't check my work e-mail from home. BRS

Oh yeah almost forgot. don't forget to wear red or a bright colour. That way other boats can see you when the Merc won't start!!! Just kidding, you knew it was coming.

Nice boat, There is a hull cleaner which contains hydrocloric acid which will disolve the barnicles but it will discolor plastics if left sitting on it, not sure about the engine paint but the gelcoat is impervious to it so try it in a small area. Hyrocloric acid is the same as muriatic acid which you can buy anywhere, it disolves calcium very effectifely. I use muratic acid at 10 : 1 for concrete etching and cleaning so start at that solution and rinse well. Worst case if the engine paint does get etched you can spray it with factory paint.

West marine sells a white gelcoat with waxed or unwaxed which matched my white hull perfectly. Give that a try. Im of the schooling to learn how to fix your own gel coat repairs as you will always be fixing chips and filling old holes, its not that hard once you do a few, tough part is matching colors.

I'm not technically very advanced but I tried copying and pasting part of the photobucket address to view the pictures. For example for the first picture: http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd116/nuck43/b.jpg
Hilight just that much of the address, copy it (press "control" & "C" together & then move your cursor up to the address bar & press "control" & "V" and then press "enter".
It worked for me and, like I said, I am not a tech person....just a fisherman (which these days require both skills...radios w/ DSC hooked to gps's...wow - the things we can now do).

If the barnacles are of or still on chip em off with a tiny hammer hit directly on and unless you want to sand it prime it and repaint leave the ring is left it wont hurt anything. you can try with a small chisel to scrape them of but be forwarned you may scratch it if your not carefull you have to be gentle and take your time I have done it but it is time consuming.

Good luck Wolf

boat
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd116/nuck43/b.jpg

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd116/nuck43/b1.jpg

barnacles

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd116/nuck43/b2.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd116/nuck43/b3.jpg

That might work thanks done deal.Salmon fever its not a quality problem with the fiberglass its just 3 small spots things hit the boat cannon ball ect.Bigredsnapper i knew it was coming let it all out now:D:DI didnt get your email though.Thank you for the offer i might take you up on it. We got a spot at the marina for max max 20feet but with our engine up were right on so it may be to tight. Thanks for the help on barnacles guys i tried clr this morn didnt work suprisingly but i didnt want to let it soak.Ill keep trying a few things wolf your method worked i might just spend some time doing that.

Thats a sweet looking boat. Its looks like a perfect engine match powerwise.

Hey Kelly, thought I e-mailed you about goingfishing this am. It was'nt worth it anyways. I made one pass at Gerald going with the wind and it was nasty. Going out tomorrow if you're interested.

Hey greg thanks alot for the offer but i gotta work to pay for all the add ons so i can get back out fishin. Spent today cleaning it up for a two year old boat its been abused pretty hard. Hopefully some more fish start showing up good luck in the morn.

Back