New boat, where can i go

nedarb2

I just bought a 14' aluminum, v-bottom, 25 merc. I was wondering where i can realisticly fish with this, nitinat, where else? MY big boat is trailer less, so its nice to be able to travel somewhat :)Also, what should i be outfitting it with, it has a charging system, and depthsounder. Im going to buy a handhelp VHF, and handhelp GPS, as well as a ditch bag. THanks :D

port alberni inlet in august, as long as you get off the water before the wind kicks up in the afternoon.

The inside of nootka sound is pretty tame too.

I belong to a fishing club that won't allow boats over 12 feet long, so all 26 of us use 12 footers with motors varying form 6 to 9.9 HP. We fish the Victoria and Oak Bay waterfronts all year. Pick you day, boat safely and you'll get as many fish as the anglers in the big boats. Actually, a 14 footer sounds like a pretty big boat to me!

quote:you'll get as many fish as the anglers in the big boats

You guys care to have a derby against us big boat guys ;)

Just kidding, that actually is kind of a neat little club you guys got - can I ask what the main reason is?

great:) thank-you all very much :D Now i need to learn how to fish these places ;p

Nootka out of Cougar Creek seems to stay pretty calm. If the wind does pick up its a short run to the ramp, and some hogs to be had in Aug....

Nav lights and a floor. The latter is so much warmer in the winter. It's also much safer. I put a switch panel in mine.

I've a 14' and have fished Bamfield, Brown's Bay area and upper Johnstone Strait with it. I fish Vancouver Harbour and Howe Sound year round. You have to pick your days but given the ease of launching, trailering and clean-up you'll probably fish tides for a couple of hours that you would have passed on with a bigger boat.

You will be amazed at your gas costs.

You will be amazed at your gas costs

Yes I know it would be great to have that but I am liking comfort and not worrying if it kicks up to go in and stay in a bit of nastyness also like to moore the boat and just hose it off and go home for the next day.

Wolf

If you do buy a bigger boat, do what it takes to keep the 14 footer. I really miss my Duroboat and 25 Yamie.

I have a bigger boat, a grady white, it just doesnt have a trailer, and is moored in maple bay [V] Ive never fished outside of the gulf islands, ive been to renfrew and sooke once a few years ago, but thats it. I also do a yearly nitinat trip with my uncle, so i can fish nitinat, but i guess ill be learning how to fish more places now, with some help i guess :) Ive bummed around the brownbay website for a whiel this afternoon, and i really liek the looks of it..im might head up this summer for a bit and see if ican fish it :)

Quote:

Just kidding, that actually is kind of a neat little club you guys got - can I ask what the main reason is?

Our club (The Clover Point anglers' Association)was started in 1933 and all boats are kept in a dry land boat house. The stalls in which we keep our boats will not allow for any boat over 12' 6". We have our own ramp to slide the boats into the water and a winch to pull them back into the boat house. Most of the guides in Victoria know us and know that we catch our share of fish too. We usually spend about 2-4 dollars in gas for 4 hours on the water, so costs are reasonable. We use downriggers, sounders, handheld GPS and VHF, so basically, we have all the toys in a small package.

Porcupine - Sounds like a great club. I've got a 12 foot aluminum with a 4hp outboard. I keep it up on the Sunshine Coast where the Family has some property (been in the family since the 30's). It's nice to be able to just drag it over the logs, onto the beach and be out on the water in no time. Problem is that I am pretty limited as to where I can run to for fish. The crabbing is usually good though.

Definitely hassle free fishing. Always dreamed of having a bigger boat, but I hear that the two happiest days are when you buy it and when you sell it (or something along those lines).

Wolf Hear ya, "liking my comfort" There's days when I'd love a hardtop with a heater.

Three years and I'm outa the LML and onto the Island. Bigger boat required for the exploring we want to do.

We'll keep the 14' as they are just so handy. Tough to camo a 24' er.

:D

Browns Bay. - How far are the fishing grounds from the marina, and whats the fishing like generally?

Back