New 4" Candlefish Plug

Slabby20

Found this in Ted's Sport Center today so I just had to buy one. If the action is decent I would think it would be a good "match the hatch" Candlefish imitation to drag on the bottom. Ted's said they haven't been out very long but the they are hearing decent reports about them working well on winter springs. They did say they aren't made to be fished fast and a slower troll is better. What do you think? They are fairly expensive because they are all hand turned / hand painted and labor intensive to make. They had other patterns too but I just bought the one until I can check

P1010681.jpg

P1010680.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A skinnier plug indeed but a candlefish lure, not sure about that.

Just pulled one out of an Oak Bay spring the other day and they have a diameter of a straw much like the Red gill lures Db posted.

There's another pic on the site showing them with a hook.

I don't much like the hook they come with though so replace it with a regular long point Siwash probably Mustad 95170 or the like-then tie that on a 4' section of 40# mono and troll as is never used a flasher with them.

They are killer baits-I have one that caught (small) Yellowfin & Bonito in Mexico-took it to Ontario and cast it for Northern Pike then used a magic marker to change the colour to a darker blue/green/black and nailed a bunch of Coho with it.

http://redgillusa.com/ there are a couple of other companies in England-they are an English invention-that make a similar product

EDIT-Well now I'm confused the newer models are rigged with the hook coming out the top while mine are all as shown.

178mm-red-gill-group-l.jpg

Just goes to show fisherman will buy anything LOL LOL remember the charlie white lure??? caught a lot of fisherman LOL LOL

The worse part of new gear is we buy it use it a couple of times and throw it in the box they we have all this shiat and then we have to decide what to use gets downright complicated LOL LOL
I too am a gear ***** I bet you I have 40 flashers on my boat and use 3 at a time or how about the 50 different tearser heads. and dont get me going on hoochies and spoons LOL... WTF got close to probablly 2 grand worth of gear and use the same stuff day in and day out about 50 bucks worth....... ill use a teaser head till it either cracks or ALL the paint is gone cause im a bit superstisious thinking its a "LUCKY: teaser head ive had some with absolutlly no paint left on it but still catches fish...... hhhhhhhmmmm is it the lure or the way we spin bait LOL LOL

Good luck Wolf

is it made of wood?, looks like the 602 or 576 pattern from Tomic....holmes*

Here's part of the reply I got to my email asking the question:
=======================================

"Thanks for taking the time to send me a note! These are made of wood. I had thought about making them out of plastic, but the reason I started building my own was that I was unhappy with how long the paint on plasic plugs (didn't) last, so I stayed with wood. I think wood plugs also have a different action than plastic? I will have a couple new colors out early next week that should be good producers!

A couple more things, when you fish these, troll a little on the faster side (2-3 mph). Also the majority of what I've heard is they are doing better being trolled bare or without using a dodger. I have had luck with both methods."

Hey slabby didnt know you made them and wasnt trying to degrade them.
Good for you in being inventive....when we used to fish plugs alot 20 yrs ago in knight inlet you should have seen some of the things the guides would try and make and come up with more entertaining than anything....
Good luck with your venture....

Wolf

Hey slabby didnt know you made them and wasnt trying to degrade them.
Good for you in being inventive....when we used to fish plugs alot 20 yrs ago in knight inlet you should have seen some of the things the guides would try and make and come up with more entertaining than anything....
Good luck with your venture....

Wolf

Thanks Wolf but I don't make them. That quote in my reply above was an email reply from the guy who makes the plugs when I asked him if they were made of wood or plastic. I don't have an artistic or inventive bone in my body. I wish I did but no, I'm just a good old fashion "go to the tackle store and buy it" junkie. Just like you said above, I also have tons of gear that sits in my tackle boxs unused. I pretty much use the same few things day in and day out that have produced over the years yet I continue to buy new things. Is there a Tackle ***** Anonymous we can join?

Back