New 250 Yamaha

finaddict

Picked up my boat from Parksville boathouse this weekend. It was time to repower so a new 250 Yamaha was on the agenda. It really hurts to do this, but I am hoping this is the last time it will hurt with this boat. I went from a deteriorating 200 Evinrude FICHT to 250 fourstroke.

2000 Evinrude 200 FICHT 004.jpg

No more expensive 2 stroke oil stinking up the back of my boat.

New 250 Yamaha 001.jpg

I am still breaking it in, but the cruise rpm at 25 knots went from 4300 down to 3500 and the fuel consumption went from 45 Litres per hour down to 35 lph. It will never justify the overall capital cost, but this motor will run at about $12 to 15$ less per hour of run time.

New 250 Yamaha 002.jpg

New 250 Yamaha 003.jpg

I am still breaking it in and I'll know more about top end and handling in the next few hours of up time, but so far, the results are very positive. I am hoping this will be the beginning of a long and wonderful relationship. :)

No 2 stroke oil but wait until you have to change your engine oil every 100 hours...............there is no escape from shelling out $$

No 2 stroke oil but wait until you have to change your engine oil every 100 hours...............there is no escape from shelling out $$

It's worth it. the average guy will only need to change oil twice a year.
your fuel consumption will easily drop 30-40 %

Nice! You'll be glad you did it in the long run....IMO :cool: Did you post it up on SOC yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up my boat from Parksville boathouse this weekend. It was time to repower so a new 250 Yamaha was on the agenda.
I am still breaking it in and I'll know more about top end and handling in the next few hours of up time, but so far, the results are very positive. I am hoping this will be the beginning of a long and wonderful relationship. :)

Congratulations! That's almost too purdy to put in salt water! lol
No more of the coughing, gasping, sputtering or blue haze, starting up on cool mornings, either. I turned the key after 4 months in storage (fogged) - it fired up right away, onto fast idle and within a minute, idled down to purring quietly. Nice! The benefits go beyond the money. You'll never look back.

That motor is a beauty! Congratulations finaddict!

Nice! You'll be glad you did it in the long run....IMO :cool: Did you post it up on SOC yet?
Yep. And on that page I also detailed the transom brackets I built for the install. The transom is super solid and no moisture issues, but it was a good time to add a little extra strength to the package.

Here's the transom detail; 1/4 " aluminum bracket both above and below the decking so that all 4 motor bolts are bolted through two skins of 1/4" plate. Parksville boathouse did a great job on the install. very clean and professional

New 250 Yamaha 005.jpg

New 250 Yamaha 006.jpg

Nice set up finaaddict. Congrats. Did you get the new command link gauge and controls with it?

Nice set up finaaddict. Congrats. Did you get the new command link gauge and controls with it?
Controls yes, but I didn't get the gauges. I had already spent more money than I ever imagined I would on a motor, so this was enough ;-)

Very nice !! That will be my next motor.

What hull did you put the 250 on? I was just wondering if the extra weight made a difference was thinking of doing the same.
Its a 2300 striper and I went from a 200 Evinrude FICHT that weighed 508 lbs to the 250 Yamie that weighs 558 lbs. The 508lbs. of the Evinrude does not include the 2 gallon oil tank, or the extra 3 gallons of oil I used to carry on the boat. So at 8 lbs. a gallon the extra 5 gallons of oil and the tank was pretty even.

Last edited by a moderator:
How did the break in go? Numbers?
Didn't make it over there James, Had too much crap to do around the house here. Having to maintain 2 places in the growing season kinda sucks. Definite ly coming over for the May-long though. Planning on a couple of days at Thrasher. EM will likely be coming as well. interested?

Its a 2300 striper and I went from a 200 Evinrude FICHT that weighed 508 lbs to the 250 Yamie that weighs 558 lbs. The 508lbs. of the Evinrude does not include the 2 gallon oil tank, or the extra 3 gallons of oil I used to carry on the boat. So at 8 lbs. a gallon the extra 5 gallons of oil and the tank was pretty even.
Very good im suprised I thought that would weigh a couple hun pds more, congrats on the purchase, hope it serves you well!! I wondr how much my 225 Merc EFI weighs in comparison, to a 250 4 stroke Yami.

Back