Needle fish lures

From the pictures I'll take the kings layer due to the swivel between the lure & hook & the style of hook.

At some point making a decision over a few bucks is a poor choice, but I see it all the time. Spend many thousands on a boat to go catch fish & then save 5 - 10 bucks on good gear. No problem; more fish for me & more reinforcement for my 90/10 rule.

Needlefish Brian, especially the moon jelly one worked great till around mid June. I'm doing a trial run on some cut plug designed spoons he's designed which look dinamite thinking July Aug there going to kick butt

They look really nice! Too bad you can't order less than 20 at a time. I'd be reluctant to shell out $300 USD for a 20-pack of untested lures.

On a side note, I'm surprised the legal dept. with gibbs-delta and/or silver horde doesn't have anything to say about this lures coho killer likeness.

Not so fast there! Coho Killers are a rip off of other candlefish lures from way back when. All kinds of tackle manufacturers on this coast rip eachother off left, right, and centre...and it started with commercial spoons well before the current generation of owners and relatives were involved. If you do some research into local Westcoast trolling tackle history you will see exactly what I'm talking about.

There's a ton of hype out there about a couple of certain manufacturers right now... I'm amazed that no one has picked up on the fact that every picture all the tackle is "brand new". I can think of lots of reasons why...probably because the gear doesn't hold up!!!

They all will catch fish. There was a day back in 2009 fishing the S/W corner in Ucluelet where 30+ lb Chinook were hitting Tomic Pilchard spoons while we were stopped fighting another fish.

I think the original intent of this thread was is this new lure a better option than a Coho Killer at 2-3 times the price?

Coho Killers are known for not being tough & long-lived. If it gets bent & still catches fish, then fine. But if it stops catching fish, how do you know if it's a bent lure or something else?

Having good solid gear take the variable of "is my lure broken" out of the "why am I not catching fish equation", which has many variables. Fewer variables make the equation easier & quicker to solve.

So if you are cost sensitive & want a bullet-proof candlefish lure, use a Golden Bait NG series Hootchie. If you want no in-line flashers, use a false flasher & an "Action/Wiggle Disc"
A bucktail behind a Cowican spinner will also work.

Besides the construction there is a size difference between the Coho Killers and the Kingslayers. The largest Kingslayers are just short of 5 inches in length.

These look good, anyone try them?
http://www.kingslayerlures.com
I know fisherman who are so called "field testers" and fly the "Kingslayer" flag who are very successful with these lures ,I've only caught shakers but haven't fished them exclusively yet. The only drawback now, the company no longer sells individual or small orders, you must buy at least 20 at $15 a whack plus shipping so it might be too rich for the recreational fisherman. I think they are catering more to lodges and large volume customers.

The trusty needlefish hootchie patterns have never stopped working, but I would agree that the AP spoons are proving to be almost a must have option when fishing certain areas. They always seem to work best for me when trolling fast. What are most people running for leader lengths? Mine are similar to a hootchie 33-40"

I've only had one fish with the larger patterns but I'm thinking they'll be a go to size for trolling without a flasher.

The trusty needlefish hootchie patterns have never stopped working, but I would agree that the AP spoons are proving to be almost a must have option when fishing certain areas. They always seem to work best for me when trolling fast. What are most people running for leader lengths? Mine are similar to a hootchie 33-40"

For me, 5'- 6' leaders work great on the AP. Only tried the needle fish tho. Behind a flasher I should add. Haven't tried them naked yet.

They all will catch fish. There was a day back in 2009 fishing the S/W corner in Ucluelet where 30+ lb Chinook were hitting Tomic Pilchard spoons while we were stopped fighting another fish.

I think the original intent of this thread was is this new lure a better option than a Coho Killer at 2-3 times the price?

Coho Killers are known for not being tough & long-lived. If it gets bent & still catches fish, then fine. But if it stops catching fish, how do you know if it's a bent lure or something else?

Having good solid gear take the variable of "is my lure broken" out of the "why am I not catching fish equation", which has many variables. Fewer variables make the equation easier & quicker to solve.

So if you are cost sensitive & want a bullet-proof candlefish lure, use a Golden Bait NG series Hootchie. If you want no in-line flashers, use a false flasher & an "Action/Wiggle Disc"
A bucktail behind a Cowican spinner will also work.

I second the bucktail concept, but I'm also biased, having just purchased the Grand Slam Bucktails company with two of my buddies! They are very durable, but you do need to provide action via a flasher, wiggler, or crazy 8 head. However, fished on the surface 50 feet back from the boat, without anything in front of them has been very successful.

Back