Need Repower for 17.2 Hourston

wildmanyeah

Crew Member
Looks like I'm in the market for a repower, boat is 17.2 hourston currently an old 115 HP Johnston is currently on it, Boat lives on the island so a vendor on the island would be preferred. Long story short after taking a mechanic to fix it, replaced reeds, rebuilt the carb, new power pack, new spark pulgs and leeds, checked the timing and compression. Never ended up fixing the problem boat back fires and wont make it on a plane losses power

Looking for a USED motor something 10 years old or newer

Sorry for hijacking your thread but its pretty similar to what im looking for.

I have read they are no to heavy, they seem to be a popular engin so maybe I’ll be able to find a decent used one. Tho I am hoping not to spend more then 5 grand.

Thanks,

Anyone know of any dealers of used motors on the island?
A115 e etc would be great. Not sure if you would find one for under 5000 dollars.

Had a 115 yam on my old 172 and it was perfect power I wouldn't go too much bigger mine was a 94 and it was a little aft heavy

I think a 115-140 should be ideal. My 90 gets the job done on a 17 footer, but it’s not a record setter. I’d look for a Yamaha 115 in that price range.
Do you have a timeline, or just an upgrade over the winter?

I think a 115-140 should be ideal. My 90 gets the job done on a 17 footer, but it’s not a record setter. I’d look for a Yamaha 115 in that price range.
Do you have a timeline, or just an upgrade over the winter?

Yeah by May would be nice. No rush

Hello all,

I don't often post but thought I could contribute to this thread. One year ago I re-powered my 17.2 and I learned a couple things. It's been mentioned in this thread and others but the biggest consideration when choosing your "new" motor IMHO will not be horsepower but weight. Wildman I'm sure you know that the 17.2 is not the same as other 17's. Its not even the same as the 17 Hourston. It has a 23 degree dead rise and dry it weighs 500 pounds more than the regular Hourston 17. It requires the 25" shaft. When I started doing research I began to realize that the different manufacturers had different combinations of weight vs. horsepower. They achieve this by using the same block and leg but tweaking ECM's or boring or whatever. Anyway, for example the G1 etec 135 weighs the same as the 150. To reduce weight you have to go down to the 115.

I replaced an 80's 130 yammi 2 stroke with a used 2012 150 G1 etec. I have an 8hp honda kicker back there too and I'd estimate the butt end settled about 1.5 inches below the previous waterline. It has worked out well for me, I simply moved my spare cannon balls from the floor locker to the bow. The hull rides the same and I haven't noticed any ill effects of the weight except the old painted waterline is a bit off. 150 is the max rated horse power for that boat but I'm not sure how relevant that really is as there were no 4 strokes around when the hull was designed (i don't think). The hole shot with that power is crazy good and I easily cruise at 3200 rpm at 28 knots. WOT will give me 40+ knots but it's a little scary. I guess the moral of my long winded story is to figure out the weight you want to hang back there and then find the highest horsepower for that weight which will vary between 4 vs 2 stroke and manufacturers. Good luck and let us know what you choose.

Hello all,

I don't often post but thought I could contribute to this thread. One year ago I re-powered my 17.2 and I learned a couple things. It's been mentioned in this thread and others but the biggest consideration when choosing your "new" motor IMHO will not be horsepower but weight. Wildman I'm sure you know that the 17.2 is not the same as other 17's. Its not even the same as the 17 Hourston. It has a 23 degree dead rise and dry it weighs 500 pounds more than the regular Hourston 17. It requires the 25" shaft. When I started doing research I began to realize that the different manufacturers had different combinations of weight vs. horsepower. They achieve this by using the same block and leg but tweaking ECM's or boring or whatever. Anyway, for example the G1 etec 135 weighs the same as the 150. To reduce weight you have to go down to the 115.

I replaced an 80's 130 yammi 2 stroke with a used 2012 150 G1 etec. I have an 8hp honda kicker back there too and I'd estimate the butt end settled about 1.5 inches below the previous waterline. It has worked out well for me, I simply moved my spare cannon balls from the floor locker to the bow. The hull rides the same and I haven't noticed any ill effects of the weight except the old painted waterline is a bit off. 150 is the max rated horse power for that boat but I'm not sure how relevant that really is as there were no 4 strokes around when the hull was designed (i don't think). The hole shot with that power is crazy good and I easily cruise at 3200 rpm at 28 knots. WOT will give me 40+ knots but it's a little scary. I guess the moral of my long winded story is to figure out the weight you want to hang back there and then find the highest horsepower for that weight which will vary between 4 vs 2 stroke and manufacturers. Good luck and let us know what you choose.

Thank you very much, Yes I guess I should of gave more background it is Hourston deep V 17.2. I should of said it does require 25" shaft.

I have actually be contemplating dropping the power down as well, from a 115 to something smaller because where I have it located and fish we don't go far out. Have not decided If I want to go bigger or smaller lol. I also actually co own a newer 18.2 with 135HP 2 stroke mec saltwater optimax as well. The 135 has plenty of power for the 18.2.

Thanks you pearl dog!

I have a very old 17 hourston (not 17.2) and I can tell you I am VERY happy with the 60HP 4stroke on the back.

Bigger isn't better especially when it comes to old boats. Consider going smaller (90HP?) depending on the age and condition of your vessel.

We use a 17' boat with 90hp merc on it. It does real well. Have you looked at the 90-115hp etec?
Might save you some weight in the butt end.

Back