Need help finding a leak

I have a newer (2012) and new to me Double Eagle 185. The boat is in great shape but I'm mystified by a continual accumulation of water in the forward cuddy storage that happens after any rainfall. Not a couple teaspoons of water but litres of water. I initially thought the water was leaking in the cuddy hatch window but I've had the boat tarped and the tarp covers the hatch. The boat is on a trailer, not in the water when the leak happens.

The weeping hole of the anchor locker was plugged by fir needles so then I thought the water was maybe overflowing out of the top seam of the anchor locker and coming into the cuddy that way. I cleared the blockage and thought the problem was solved but after the last rainfall the storage compartments in the cuddy (all three) we're half-full of water again.

My only thought now is that it's the anchor chain plate seal leaking but it seems like an obscene amount of water to be accumulating via just that route. I will try removing and re-sealing the chain plate but had two questions:
1. Has anyone experienced this kind of leak before and is there another place I should be looking for a water source beyond the anchor chain plate? Seems like an awful lot of water to come in after only a night of rain
2. If I re- bed the chain plate would sikaflex be the best option? I have a tube of sikaflex 295 that I was given.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated. I want to get the boat on a dock but I have to solve the leak first. I'd prefer not to be drilling holes in the cuddy lockers just to drain it to the auto bilge to be pumped out. The only other obvious sources would be the rail post bases on the bow but how often to these types of fittings have to be re-bedded?

I included a couple pictures of the boat as it's currently tarped to give an idea of coverage, and also pics of the anchor locker chain plate, and the forward lockers filled with water.

Thanks in advance for any intel.

Attachments

• 20210331_172934.jpg
    20210331_172934.jpg
    608.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 20210331_172822.jpg
    20210331_172822.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 130
  • 20210331_174322.jpg
    20210331_174322.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 119
  • 20210331_174135.jpg
    20210331_174135.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 148
I had the exact same issue on a Campion 542 and it ended up being a broken rivet in the rub rail. Get one person in the cuddy, one person carefully spraying different areas of the boat and see where the water comes in.

I had the exact same issue on a Campion 542 and it ended up being a broken rivet in the rub rail. Get one person in the cuddy, one person carefully spraying different areas of the boat and see where the water comes in.
Thank Mike, I'll try that - did you see this kind of quantity of water?

You should always store your boat with the bow as high as possible so water flows to the stern and leave the plug out. As said take a hose to the front deck and watch that compartment down below to see where it enters from. You could even use a pressurized garden sprayer filled with died water to make it easier to spot.

You should always store your boat with the bow as high as possible so water flows to the stern and leave the plug out. As said take a hose to the front deck and watch that compartment down below to see where it enters from. You could even use a pressurized garden sprayer filled with died water to make it easier to spot.
Good idea with a light dye. I would normally store the boat bow high, no plug but I was hoping it would be in the water a week ago not in my driveway.

Also, the way the tarp is sloped forward but ending above the foredeck....a lot of the water that falls on the tarp will run forward on to the boat. What does the foredeck look like? All I can see is the anchor rode piled on the deck, I assume so you could unplug the anchor locker drain hole.

Also, the way the tarp is sloped forward but ending above the foredeck....a lot of the water that falls on the tarp will run forward on to the boat. What does the foredeck look like? All I can see is the anchor rode piled on the deck, I assume so you could unplug the anchor locker drain hole.
Yes, locker drain hole is unplugged so the water is not piling up there, but it's finding its way in somewhere. I attached a picture of the foredeck. On closer inspection I also found a screw that is backed off on the rail post base. Does anyone have experience taking removing the post bases and re-sealing? I'm concerned if I remove them I may end up creating new problems if I can't securely bed them in. Not sure what the backing surface is underneath the fibreglass and how well it would accept screw removal/replacement. Thanks

Attachments

• 20210401_084530.jpg
    20210401_084530.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 20210401_084643.jpg
    20210401_084643.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 71
Yes, locker drain hole is unplugged so the water is not piling up there, but it's finding its way in somewhere. I attached a picture of the foredeck. On closer inspection I also found a screw that is backed off on the rail post base. Does anyone have experience taking removing the post bases and re-sealing? I'm concerned if I remove them I may end up creating new problems if I can't securely bed them in. Not sure what the backing surface is underneath the fibreglass and how well it would accept screw removal/replacement. Thanks
Doubt its the railing-got to be something to do with that large Chainlocker hatch. What has been said before-tilt the bow up and stop that tarp draining onto the uncovered front hatch. Put another tarp on the deck for the other tarp to drain onto. Got to be a ton of water draining off that tarp onto the hatch! Have a look at the hatch seal

If nothing is showing up inside the cuddy (ie wet lining on the sides), I’d say it’s gotta be the locker or drain as well. I had a leaky cuddy hatch and the water was seeping in along the seal. I’d shop vac it all out, remove all the stuff out of the cuddy and try spraying water in into the anchor locker. Or get a camera into that forward compartment. Princess auto makes a good heavy duty gray tarp. The 18x24 fits my 185 well from bow to stern. I’ve used mine for 2 seasons and it’s still doing fine. 31A9D899-9A2D-46DE-A139-9E5877B79040.jpeg

I have the same boat now,so I'm interested in seeing what you find out.It must be coming from the top hatch to fill those lockers I think.My other guess is your wife wants the boat gone,so she fills it up when your not there.Or the obvious answer would be that your tarp is inside out and isn't waterproof on the black side. :)

I have the same boat now,so I'm interested in seeing what you find out.It must be coming from the top hatch to fill those lockers I think.My other guess is your wife wants the boat gone,so she fills it up when your not there.Or the obvious answer would be that your tarp is inside out and isn't waterproof on the black side. :)
Ha, I think you might be into something here - certainly feels like sabotage

Spent the weekend at Cow. Lake and a friend said his leaked into the back after the anchor locker hole was plugged up.It filled the anchor locker so high that it spilled over the joint in the liner where it meets the hull around the chain locker.He wondered why his boat was so heavy,found out the drain in chain locker that drains outboard was only 1/4 " around and plugged easily.DE told him to drill the hole out to 1/2".He said after draining the hull for a while all was good.

Spent the weekend at Cow. Lake and a friend said his leaked into the back after the anchor locker hole was plugged up.It filled the anchor locker so high that it spilled over the joint in the liner where it meets the hull around the chain locker.He wondered why his boat was so heavy,found out the drain in chain locker that drains outboard was only 1/4 " around and plugged easily.DE told him to drill the hole out to 1/2".He said after draining the hull for a while all was good.
Yeah I might dry drilling a larger diameter hole to help keep it clear. I originally thought that was the source of the water but then found it was still getting in after the drain hole was cleared of debris. I'll post when I find the source and the remedy

Back