Need a good mooching rod for a Islander reel

I love my Shimano Techniums! Nice rods for a descent price, and fairly tough so far. I'm a hard guy on rods and equipment, I don't baby my stuff. If it can't take the abuse I find something that can.

never had any issues with Fetha styx warranty I had a couple minor issues a rod butt cap fell off one and the ceramic tip insert from another and they hand delivered new rods right to me to correct the problem, even left me with one of the old ones as a bonus, so far best warranty I have ever seen,

never had any issues with Fetha styx warranty I had a couple minor issues a rod butt cap fell off one and the ceramic tip insert from another and they hand delivered new rods right to me to correct the problem, even left me with one of the old ones as a bonus, so far best warranty I have ever seen,

I had the opposite experience. Visited in person, was told they wished I hadn't. Was willing to buy the new tip, but was not possible, would be called if it became possible and never received a call. I think the worst customer service experience I've ever had in North America for what was a new and pricey item. I still have the butt section. Brand new, never been in the downrigger. For sale cheap. Actually planned to drop it off at FethaStyx next time I was nearby, as they already have the broken tip section.

Compared to my Babcock/Sage experience. Fixed immediately, no charges. No comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought the North Coast combos for my guide boat, something flashy for the customers eye but yet priced accordingly, and they have good action and a good backbone for when you pick up those trailing halibut.

Would buy them again.

I have a custom loomis and I prefer my blue trophy titans. Very nice rod for the money, and a great warrantee. Got a buddy who has broken them and got handed new ones.

A new rod to look at...Will be giving them a fish this summer...
RcR EVOLUTION Series Mooching Rods.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blXQYrW1y3Y
Retails for about $370. in Canada - Made in USA

It looks like the reel is tightened from the bottom up, which I think is a poor design for a rod going into rocket launchers. That positioning has no impact while trolling/fighting fish all day. But because of the vibration/shake/bounce over time while running in rocket launchers they may loosen and the reel falls out. I have an Elite Tech that I found this problem with. I'm not sure what the real or perceived advantage of tightening from the bottom is, but I've experienced one definite disadvantage.

After having that happen with the Elite Tech, the next rods I bought were the Fetha-Styx and Babcock/Sage rods. Both of which fasten from the top (along with my older Diawa's, etc.).

Is there an advantage from fastening up from the bottom over down from the top?

I also pair my MR3 with a G.Loomis. I think I prefer the Trophy Titan rod. I have also used Techniums and think that at that price point, they are great.

532266_10150666663532211_2131615048_n.jpg

I think the Elite Tech tightens from the bottom up because it's also considered to be a centerpin rod. My guess anyways.

Gary Loomis of G.Loomis son is involved with RCR and the rod handle can be ordered both ways. Up or down

A good observation...... and a correctable I believe... Personal I like top down... :)

Gary Loomis of G.Loomis son is involved with RCR and the rod handle can be ordered both ways. Up or down

Do I win a pair of rods for best suggestion?
MU1264-2 please.

Also, just curious about the guides. For the first guide from the reel, if using a level wind type reel vs. a mooching reel (Islander) the angle of line from reel to the first guide is different. Fetha-styx has 2 different designs, one with the first guide closer to the rod for level winds, and one with the first guide further from the rod for Islander MR3 types, etc., for a better angle for the line from reel to first guide. I can't see the first guide in any of the photos on the site or in the video (kinda odd). So asking.

I think the Elite Tech tightens from the bottom up because it's also considered to be a centerpin rod. My guess anyways.

Yes. Was at the Sportsmans show today, and RCR is there. Spoke with a gent who is in design, or R&D (I forget exactly what he said, and have forgotten his name). He explained that the bottom up is as requested by Centrepin guys and the reason why.

Spoke to him about this too. Apparently what they are going to do is flip the handle to make this possible. So the longer part (where you hold the rod when reeling) will be on the bottom and the shorter part (usually in the rod holder) will be up top. I didn't pay that close attention to the difference in lengths. But one of the things I have noticed with rods that have longer handle sections, and in particular longer behind the reel, is that they put more torque on the rodholder when put out to the side. So much that I have some Scotty rodholders where the teeth at the bottom have worn through and they turn now. I run four rods, and I found the solution is to put the rods with the longer handles straight out the back - in the rodholder with the worn teeth - so the rodholder isn't under the same torque/pressure.
I think its an issue of both the overall length of the handle portion above and below the reel (not very flexible) and the length behind the reel. I'm not sure how much is attributable to each but maybe one of the engineers on the board would be able to say? Since I've switched the rod placement, and gone to the stainless steel rodholder extensions from Scotty the issue is resolved on my boat.

The Same Sage Rods I bought last year are 10% less this year at the Vancouver boat show, so might pick up one or two of those.

Also visited the Fethastyx booth at Sportsmanshow, and maybe I'll be getting a working Fethastyx rod in place of the 1 piece of a 2 piece rod I had left. Fingers crossed.

Also visited the Fethastyx booth at Sportsmanshow, and maybe I'll be getting a working Fethastyx rod in place of the 1 piece of a 2 piece rod I had left. Fingers crossed.
Talk to Mark Spada from Fetha, he looked after mine and personally delivered it up here to me twice!
cant ask for anything better then that and they are great rods
also Dane from harbor Chandler can look after the warranties on them as well

Last edited by a moderator:
I was looking at rods today and there were 2 different Technium's mooching 15 - 30 weight or the 10 - 25 casting both were 10'6 which is a better all round rod. I want a great rod at the under $200 price point.

I was looking at rods today and there were 2 different Technium's mooching 15 - 30 weight or the 10 - 25 casting both were 10'6 which is a better all round rod. I want a great rod at the under $200 price point.

why would call the medium a 'casting'?

They say good rods esp shimanos can handle more then there rated for and the medium can handle a 30lb fish. I didn't even catch a 20 last year but pulled in lots under and the medium will be way funner. The difference on the med-heavy is also the steel or ceramic eyes. I didn't even know there where putting steel eyes on mooching rods still. If your a bit harder on your rods (and fish) id go med-heavy. Shop around. Got my medium at Trotac in Vic great service price and warranty work.

One was a mooching and the other I believe was a salmon/steelhead rod. I have a trophy xl (brown cheapest one) that is a medium I currently use for freshwater salmon running braid that has caught some decent sized fish. I am now venturing into saltwater and like the original poster I have a reel but want a dedicated rod for it. Being a salt water newbie I am bot sure what test line everyone uses and weight of rod. I am thinking 25lb on a med heavy rod like the technium am I out to lunch?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Back