Need a broker to import a boat

Just to clarify.....what are you looking at the broker to do? I assume you have found a boat and are you looking for someone to deal with all the paperwork/logistics with importing it including money transfers etc?

There are Customs brokers that do all the paperwork and take care of the taxes and then there are boat brokers who make the deal happen and then use a customs broker to do the paperwork. If you are buying from a private seller do the deal yourself and then look at a customs broker for the rest. I have used A&A Custom Brokers a few times and it makes things real easy for a couple of hundred bucks. You are still responsible for clear title and make sure you break out the bill of sale for the boat and trailer. My 2 cents worth.

I used A&A. The guy actually met me at customs on the Victoria side when I arrived via the Clipper ferry. Hassle free, fast and reasonably priced.

i PHONED a&a this morning and phone automatically transfered to mainland- any names of who you used on the Island would be appreciated along with a phone #. The lady at A&A on the mainlandhad no immediate knowledge other than going through Blaine???

If you are importing a boat, I wouldn't bother with a Broker. It is dead easy, just bring along all your paperwork (bill of sale, title, bank transactions to prove how much you spent). Whole process takes 30 minutes....just bring your Visa card...they want your tax $$. I've imported 2 boats, no issues.

Both.

I brought two boats through Victoria/Port Angeles and it was a breeze. Officers are friendly and fair. You got all your papers, everything goes smooth as butter. Plus they can't make you turn back on the ferry, mind you I never had to, so don't temp them LOL.

Very first boat came through Vancouver/Peace Arch and a female officer checked us out....what a biatch. She came short of strip searching us, asked for wallets, pulled everything out and checked for receipts... Questioned us like we were a bunch of thieves or something. Very unpleasant to say the least. I wouldn't go through there again.
cheers

can you bring it to Victoria on the ferry or do you have to go thru Peace Arch or???

You will have to take it to the Pacific Truck Crossing - Peace Arch isn't set up for boat importation (or at least that was the way it was 3 years ago when I got my Grady). The paper process is very simple. They will issue you registration papers to mail into Ottawa, and an inspection form for your trailer to take to Canadian Tire. You will pay your taxes there at the border. It really helps if you bring all you financial info (bank transactions, bill of sale, title transfer). You do not need a broker to do this. I've done 2 boats, and some of my friends have imported more than that.

Back