Navionics Chart depths

eriks

Hope this isn’t a dumb question! I’m doing some trip planning and would like to anchor in Smuggler’s Cove for a night next weekend. Looking at the depths, in some areas it’s shown as 8’. 8’ depth at low tide is what I thought, but what about the big tide ranges we have here? Is there a way to connect this depth to the 4.55’ low tide we had this afternoon? Tomorrow’s low tide is 5.62’.
What I’d like to know is what would the water depth theoretically be at a location shown as 8’ deep when the tide is say 5’?

I don’t know the answer to your question but I used to always stay at the government dock there if ya want a dock instead

Hope this isn’t a dumb question! I’m doing some trip planning and would like to anchor in Smuggler’s Cove for a night next weekend. Looking at the depths, in some areas it’s shown as 8’. 8’ depth at low tide is what I thought, but what about the big tide ranges we have here? Is there a way to connect this depth to the 4.55’ low tide we had this afternoon? Tomorrow’s low tide is 5.62’.
What I’d like to know is what would the water depth theoretically be at a location shown as 8’ deep when the tide is say 5’?
Chart datum is static set to the lowest astronomical tide or "mean lower low water". They will go back over history to see where that number is. As things change over years they will re do charts in the future but they set them based on historical lowest low water.

FYI, if you use the Navionics app in your phone the depths are dynamic for tides. If you pick the nearest tide station, i.e. Halfmoon Bay in the case of Smugglers Cove, pan back to SC, when you pick the date and time the depths will change to show the estimated forecasted depth.

Eriks I spoke to soon, I was thinking of snug cove on Bowen Island, to be clear not sure smugglers has a dock, in fact I know nothing about it lol

FYI, if you use the Navionics app in your phone the depths are dynamic for tides. If you pick the nearest tide station, i.e. Halfmoon Bay in the case of Smugglers Cove, pan back to SC, when you pick the date and time the depths will change to show the estimated forecasted depth.
Is that for real? I've been using navionics and anchoring in shallow areas for the past few years and I didn't have a clue. :eek:

Is that for real? I've been using navionics and anchoring in shallow areas for the past few years and I didn't have a clue. :eek:
The app will have both static and dynamic values. I don't use the app as I use a hard wired sounder/plotter but I have looked at the app before and there are both values on it. Just depends on what you want it to show. If you have the tidal chart info open on the page or if you click on the tide icon in the area you want to know info about it will show you dynamic info but if you want to know the static depth info of that are in the chart then just click off that dynamic info or close the tidal info on the app and the chart will show you all the static depth numbers. Hope that makes sense it's been a while since I've used the phone app one.

Eriks I spoke to soon, I was thinking of snug cove on Bowen Island, to be clear not sure smugglers has a dock, in fact I know nothing about it lol
Haha, next time you’re fishing that area, instead of Squitty Bay for the night, try Smuggler’s Cove. It’s really nice in there.

Thank you CBsqrd! I just checked it and you’re 100% correct. A great thing I learned today, thank you very much.

Back