Narrows

D

Dayto

Have the Coho started showing up in the Sansum Narrows yet off Cherry point? , Hurd some shore fishing was going on and im curious to see if there is any number out there yet?

Sorry Dayto
I see you deleted your post that the Coho were in.
The "shush" was just a humour attempt on my part.
I might try some beach fishing on Friday if I can get the time.

lol ,

Well the fishing been great 7 nice coho all over 9pnds in 1.5Hrs , Alotta fun , I have been fishing from a boat tho and I found I nice little current where they have been hitting hard , I will be back on the water at 4.

P.S-Time Beach casting has been pretty decent buddie caught 3 nice ones in 45 minutes.

nice to hear there are some coho coming through there! I used to fish that area a lot and coho was never on the menu.

what kind of leader and depths do you troll with? might head out to sansum

There is alotta clipped ones out there.No problem getting you'r limit of keepers

HElP i just turned 17, just got my N, never fly fished salmon, or fished for coho... but want to go give it a try this week after school :D
off cherry point, anywhere along the beach?
would i just wade in chest deep and then cast out?
how far down should i be fishing?
any specific fly? and a fast retreival correct?
thanks-guys :)

You've pretty much got it! Just get out there!
Pick a flooding and/or high tide, watch carefully when you get out there for fish as they'll usually show themselves. Spinning gear the easiest and your bet bet for action. Try krokadile and coho spoons in gold/red, green or blue colors.
For an elevated level of difficulty and exasperation try flyfishing with intermediate sink lines. Flies chose can be tough because they are very fussy but try pearl mickeys, and streamers in blue/white or green/white. Retreives should vary in speed and lenght as they might like super fast one day and dead slow the next.
Good luck

Only saw a few jumping today, had about 5 strikes and got 1 wild and 1 hatchery to the boat. Very strange to be trolling about/fishing in 8 to 10 feet of water.
Perfect spot for a pontoon boat or belly boat - saw 1 out there today - or a small car topper.
Trolled a 3 1/2" cop car and an old chrome spoon I found in the tackle box, with about 1-1 1/2" of pencil lead for weight. No flasher.
Each got a fish to the boat.
Not sure if that's correct Coho tackle, but seemed to work.

Thanks for the info Time.Nice to hear there are a few fish out there. Will try my luck today with my pontoon boat.Let you know how I did.

is there a boat launch at cherry point or do you have to run out of cowichan? ill be heading out today to fish from shore, maybe take the boat this weekend.

I launch out of Cowichan Bay - 16 footer- and run down. Takes about 20 minutes.
At Cherry point you would, I believe, have to drag it across the beach.

Time what type of boat are you and what Channel VHF you using?

I will be out in the next day or 2 , Here's a little tip finde the 40Ft Water right off the oil docks troll a Green FLasher /Cop car spoon 6 oz slip weight and 35 pulls , For shallower water Under 20Ft Krocadiles for casting and trolling , Blue fox as well and cop car spoons will get them to the boat ;)

Just back from cherry point.Had two nice ones up to the pontoon boat but lost them both. Had a few bites and may have done better if the wind hadn't picked up. Using a chrome and blue crockadile in about 15 ft of water. Couple of other guys out there but didn't see them hook anything. One guy dragged his tin boat down the beach so you can get a cartopper in. Try my luck again tomorrow.

well, i waded out today in my bathing suite for about 10 mins [:p] haha too cold and too shallow, my lures were just scrapingthe seaweed offthe bottom no matter how fast i retreived.. some fish jumping, will try to have the boat out tomorrow to give it a try, if not this weekend ill be out.

I was out there today I think I was tlaking to you ( I was in camo) The fish moved in about 6:00 , about 40 Feet from shore the bite got going pretty good.

Back