Nanaimo Area

Had a friend of a friend text him a picture of 5 springs and a coho , they caught off fingers yesterday the fish were 15-30 lbs..what a haul...Apparently.. the fishing has kicked up another notch..Anyone else in Nanaimo caught any Coho yet?:rolleyes:

Ya i wouldn't have believed it if i never saw it, two well over 25lbs too..they all seemed to be the same as have been caught lately but alot bigger in size.. then the cookie cutter 10-12lbers of late, i will be back out to test them waters tomorrow..hoping for more then 11 prawns too..:p

Had a friend of a friend text him a picture of 5 springs and a coho , they caught off fingers yesterday the fish were 15-30 lbs..what a haul...Apparently.. the fishing has kicked up another notch..Anyone else in Nanaimo caught any Coho yet?:rolleyes:

Yes been more than a few coho caught and released - open for hatch rentention June 1st

I had a double header of small coho yesterday morning first thing...Right around 2-3 pounds....a mile and a half off the fingers.

Hey you experts; I need a little advice. I have a small tin boat (16') and usually depert from Ladysmith. On smooth water she'll do 16 Kn without working the motor too much so I can be at Thrasher in about 40 min. Over the last 2 weeks I have spent 4 unsuccessful days out there other than a few shakers and some lings. I hope to go out tomorrow (weather permitting) and without devulging your best kept secrets could I please have some advice to improve my chances of putting one in the fish box? I have family coming on the weekend and sure would love to put a fresh springer on the dining room table. I have 2 Penn downgiggers, an assortment of HC reccommended flashers, an assortment of hoochies & spoons and anchovies to work with. Many thanks & Cheers; twogone.

Read back in this thread and on the Vancouver thread, there is tonnes of advice and information there or use the search function. I recommend spoons on a 5-6ft leader behind a green glow flasher. Also I find it useful to read some of local guides fishing reports they usually include a gear recommendation

See Ya out there

Twogone.......put a 4" Coyote or Silver Horde "Yellowtail" spoon about 6ft behind a Super Gold Betsy flasher.

use 30 or 40lb test for the leader.

Go down depths from 90ft to 140ft. (That's lure depth not bottom depth). Of course if you are fishing where the bottom is say 120ft down , then try about 70 to 90ft in same.

You could also try Cop car spoon .....4"

or

Irish Creme spoon....4" if no hits go to smaller spoon in same colors ...3'' inch.

Just my two cents adjusted for inflation......

To all you kind and helpfull fellows......MANY THANKS for all the GREAT advice; I've got fire in my gut now and those pesky springs are in big trouble. I can't wait for the morning to come. Thank you all again; I will report my success (or failure) tomorrow if I have the energy after a hard day on the water batteling monster fish! Cheers; twogone

I've never fished the Finger. What sort of depth of water do folks fish around there? I'm guessing there would be a crowd anyways but any information would probably help. Thanks

Fishing was good this morning tons of action, lots of just undersized and some good 12 lbers. Most action came off a brads cut plug in cop car at 125 feet. just off the fingers

............x2

Back