nanaimo area chums

R

RobTufnail

well saw the entire fleet of gillnetters heading out this morning around 8, so pretty much any coho left are done. I know they are targetting chum but come on.

On a more positive note have any of you ever managed to get a chum near nanaimo to bite? I've seen them in good numbers jumping and schooling but they seem to have lockjaw. If they are able to sustain a commercial opening then surely there are some oppertunities for sporties?

They open the commercial fishery when they see at least 20,000 in the river.

I haven't targeted chums around Nanaimo, but with returns of 30,000 - 50,000 each year, you would think you could get a couple to bite.

...the opportunities to try and catch chum in the Nanaimo area, most certainly are bountiful - convincing the angling public to give it a whole-hearted try is another thing. We are finding that most folks are talking about bad weather, as to why they have not given it a good go.

On a side note there seem to be alot of Ho's around the beaches lately...nice!

Cheers,
RVP. ;)

i have never been able to fair hook a chum.

they are very delicious bbq'd or even fried on the stove. :)

well i am more then willing to give it a try.
there were some sea lions near ruxton tearing up a few chum recently
and i have seen them school up near dodds narrows in previous years.

but if it doesnt go well i guess i'll just have to try for some winters

In two of the last three years I have tried trolling when the chum fleet has been out around Neck Point and have yet to have a bite. Maybe I'll use it as an excuse to drop a prawn trap but my expectations are pretty low.

I caught one on the Sunshine Coast once with a green buzz bomb retrieved along the top. I know there are a lot of fishermen down in Hood Canal (Washington) that catch them near their native river. Wonder what they use down there?

I find the taste of chum to be very bland. I don't eat them unless there smoked.

Back