Nanaimo and Area reports - Spring and Summer 2012

So all the salmon were taken on jigs??

I see downrigger mounts...but no downriggers in the pics....

Congrats!

Yes, would like to know how you managed 3 springs that big in a day without pounding the bottom with downriggers in Nanaimo. Did you get all the other fish the same day? If so, that's pretty amazing.

We caught all 4 Chinooks in 3 hours on the same day. It was incredible; the best day on the salt I have had in nearly 30 years fishing. We were mooching and trolling the entire trip. The salmon came from a day of purely mooching.

We fished that spot the day before, and only caught sole. The next day, was the salmon slay day! The day after, not one salmon caught!

Right place, right time, helpful advice from this thread and LUCK! Thanks for all of your help fellas, and best of luck this fall.

Any Closing Season Comments before a Fall Winter 2012 thread starts? Last 10 or 11 days left for Ling Cod. Finally broke my unlucky streak last night & landed a 8 lber Ling & a Lunker that snapped my hook & got away. Gota say weather sure has been great this week

Closing comments.... Well, the salmon fishing was conducive to filling my license with lings. Last year I recorded 14 springs from area 17 and guys I took out probably totalled a similar number. This year I recorded 4. Oh well, lots of fun nights on the water anyway.
Has anyone had any success on Coho in Oct?

any lings around thrasher

Finally made my first trip out to thrasher Yesterday with the boys. (ladies were out @ the Bridal expo) First got there around 1:30ish @ Landed a 19Lb Ling in the first 5 min. No hits or bites for the next 45 min as we had to head out.
IMAG1301.jpg

The other one was caught elsewhere & earlier in the afternoon. A nice Blue Ling about 8Lbs
IMAG1302.jpg
IMAG1303.jpg

Lots of jumpers at Entrance today up to low teens. Thought they were cohos, so trolled around for a few hours and got nothing, as did quite a few other boats. Now I'm thinking chums. Any thoughts?

HHMMMM...might have to take that long 5 minute run out there and see for myself.At what tide were they spotted??Probably chums,soon they will be showing between Gab. and the Nan. river mouth.If in fact they were Coho..all the better

I was out on friday and hit 5 feeder springs one of which i kept being just 10 lbs. The way they where jumping when i was out though i would say they were chum though.

Before, during, and after low slack. There were a lot of boats out there taking advantage of the last ling day of the year. I'd love to hear of someone catching some cohos, but since we haven't I'm getting more sure they were chums.

Chum for sure jumping coho dont jump like that not from what i have ever seen. As far as coho go I caught a few a couple weeks back down real deep 125 ish.
Just nothing since and herd from a good source that there is quite a few in the nanaimo river already, they must rap around gab and just shoot straight for the river, or through dods.

Where the Chum Jumping @ now? Have they moved since Last Sunday? Came back from Thrasher & had to weave through all the boats around entrance, but that was then.... I'm looking to go out on Saturday & wonder if they are moving or hanging out there for a while.

Hundreds of Chum Jumping around the Fingers & Neck Point Yesterday, none would bite though. Had a good hit pretty deep around 100 Feet in about 130 that broke the forward reel mount that ripped the tab like a soda can. Was pretty hard to keep tension & reel the real while not attached to the rod. Lost him 6 feet from the surface, never got a look due to both legs holding rod & both hands attempting to reel. So guess it coulda been anything.

Sounds like a great fishing story if anything...The type where whatever it was, it's only going to get bigger with time!

Anyone been out lately? I know theres lots of coho south around victoria and sooke, just wondering if anyone has noticed many around Nanaimo?

Back