Nanaimo and Area reports - Spring and Summer 2011

What boat were u In? and do the guys use Channel 68? Lots of Bait down that way it was good to see...

I was in the explorer 542. Didnt hear anything on the radio either, im mostly a porlier guy. Been ok fishen for us all week just nothin huge.

Hey SAWBILL,anyone cutpluggin in the narrows....it used to be REAL GOOD!!

Good cutpluggin for seals in there, must have been 50 heads bobbin around in there couple days ago. Was good when the commercial boats would hang out and shoot the little buggers.

AHHH Yes,that reminds me now...I was about 2 miles from the pass years ago when I heard a bullet screaming past me,I was in the pass earlier and the Natives were letting all hell break loose with their rifles.....................

Fished Nanaimo Today.. started about 900am off the Fingers... 2 Nice fish were donated unwillingly to Mr. Whiskers (seals)... Its retarded..... So we Ran for the Humps while the weather was good... banged a nice 15lbs then quiet.... Ran back into the Fingers and got a 8lbs... and missed one while we were messing around with the Sonar...
Purple Haze Hootch
Speckle Back Hootch
and Green/Glow coyote spoon 4" all hit fish...
200ft to 135ft..

Last edited by a moderator:
Battled a seal with my 25lb'er this morning,neither of us would give up!!Seal let go 3 times and I dragged the fish within 10 feet of the boat each time.........ALMOST HAD HIM!!!

Whats the point of fishing around Nanaimo if the Seals are always following... I was out tonight.. we were 1 of 2 boats fishing off the Fingers and a Seal just followed our gear... We would of never landed a fish if we hooked one...

Solid fishing in most spots. Limit of springs mid teens to mid twenties. Lost a pig today that I would have loved to seen.

A rare morning limit.

uvs110627-009.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Took some buddies out for a quick evening troll. Broke one off on the hookset and watched it jump about 10 times with my gear then had a seal take one. Both around 20. Released a 10. Here are some pics taken out of video. Were gonna post a 10 min vid of some highlights over the last month later this week.

The hammer comin down

uvs110627-002.jpg

Another getting nailed

uvs110627-004.jpg

Our biggest spring jumping into the net with the cam on the handle.

uvs110627-006.jpg

Sadly resorted to the Green/white until this spring destroyed it.

uvs110627-008.jpg

Hey Kelly, there's that "go to" spoon of yours again! Thanks for the invite but we were up late celebrating a B-day. Are you around for a bit or headed back to the big city? I have today off and was gonna work on the boat but the fish are bitin so probably head out. Send me a text if you wanna go out. Were you at Gerald? BRS

Nice work Kelly... are you fishing off Nanaimo or working Gabriola?
And is Gerald Bay the same area as the Grande? Hope that wasnt a dumb question....

Went out for the morning bite with Bushy at Gerald. There were lots of boats around and saw a few nets. Bushy put down his favourite coyote/ flasher combo and once again it was the lucky rod. Bushy brought in a feisty low twenties and it was bonked. Ten minutes later the same rod hit, Bushy jumped up and set the hook and passed it off to me holy crap! This thing took off with no stopping and my fingers were burning. He stripped off half my line and then turned and ran right at me and the old Shimano couldnt keep up and gone. I will never hear the end of that one. I took Bushy in and headed out solo and managed my limit in just over an hour. They were 14 and 16lbs one on coyote spoon and the other on hootchie down deep at 180ft. Kelly I have the boat moored at Schooner til next week so if you are around for the long weekend give me a shout, there are some big fish around right now. BRS

Was out last night off snake and the fingers with my pinniped entourage (they rode shotgun about 60 ft behind the boat the entire trip ~ 3hrs). Pretty slow bite except for the 200 lb mammal attached to the 10 lber we almost caught. Fn' rock sausages!

Cheers All,

Was out on charter today and have to say the seals are as bad as I have ever seen it here... :( We boated a 30, 20, and 14 but lost more to our POSSE! :( Guests were NOT amused.... :(

Back