Nailing Some Near Shore Copper Rockfish

Hey Doc, I didn't know anything about the rockfish release techniques. That is cool, so thanks for the videos.

I do agree that commercial fishing pressure and fish farming do more harm than one sports-fishing guy. I guess it depends on if you believe that change has to start with yourself or not. Lots of people on this site are actively involved with trying to change fish farming and bottom trawling legislation. Being concerned about a few rockfish doesn't mean you're not a "big picture" kind of guy.

I'm guessing the rockfish release techniques have been developed for fisherman targeting others species who pick them up as by-catch. Not people who want to spend the day giving rockfish a free balloon and carnival ride.

I don't agree with you that a fisheries and Oceans suggestion not to target more than your 3 rockfish is meaningless unless it is made into law. Its a considered suggestion which you can ignore if you like, but don't be surprised to take some heat if you post "how to" videos which flaunt it.

You and I will never agree on the "kids might as well go down with the ship" argument as far as lifejackets go, so we'll agree to disagree.

I enjoy a good argument as much as you say you don't, but this is going to go around in circles for me so I'm out.

Good luck and stay safe.

It seems like to me...who once studied and worked in fisheries (mostly freshwater however a little salt) is that the fisheries note is specifically designed to address bringing rockfish up from depth. When catching shallow it is not an issue so long as there is minimal hook damage.

Some species of rockfish are susceptible to decompression issues such as the air bladder pushing out the stomach and eyes. Yellow eye and quillback for instance. These fish are more ancient in evolutionary physiology. On the other hand black rockfish are newer in terms of evolution and has the ability to expel air and has fewer problems being released.

Since most people are fishing deep and catching China, quills and yellows DFO has put in a conservation comment so that at depth rockfish are not released and just float away.

I was out at Englefield years ago and went off to the shoals to catch my limit of rockfish. A commercial boat went by fishing deep for salmon leaving behind about 50 large red floats. As I got closer I noticed they were all jumbo yellow-eyes. I couldn't let these rot on the surface so I forego fishing for more and just hooked my limit of these. It was a real waste seeing the rest float away with seagulls coming.

When fishing for rockfish...my rule is if they can't swim down you should take it for your limit.

Just so you know Doc, targeting rockfish in all areas of B.C. tidal waters for catch & release is unlawful !
You are supposed to keep your limit and move to another area.
Even in shallow water like our Ogden Point breakwater where you can catch them in 10 ft of water....not allowed.
Again, targeting rockfish in all areas of B.C. tidal waters for catch & release is unlawful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd4M26H8jsc

you are funny, in your own vids, you catch your limit, and you stick around...you just cast for fun and prey god that Rockfish don't bite

And please read rules again, it's not unlawful to catch and release rockfish, just we should not target them at beginning, since rockfish's long life span, and long waiting time before they re-produce

Hey Doc, try Roy Osselton, Fishery Officer, Conservation and Protection. Phone: 250-363-3252
Email: roy.osselton@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Ask him and post it here.

That way if I'm wrong it would be great to know where in B.C. tidal waters you are allowed to target rockfish for catch and release after you have kept your limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd4M26H8jsc

you are funny, in your own vids, you catch your limit, and you stick around...you just cast for fun and prey god that Rockfish don't bite

And please read rules again, it's not unlawful to catch and release rockfish, just we should not target them at beginning, since rockfish's long life span, and long waiting time before they re-produce
Well thanks for watchin eh ! Yes I have posted videos a year or 2 ago doing the same thing....how do you think I was eventually enlightened on what the actual rules and regs are ? You won't see me doing that now a days, regardless, what the rules state isn't clear....until you get checked and have it explained. As with most of the rules/regs it's not there in plain english and it usually takes a fisheries officer the explain exactly what it means. If you are under the impression that targeting rockfish for catch and release is OK and a fisheries officer will give you a green light to do so you may wanna grab a phone or fire up your email, info is above.
I'm very well read on tidal and non tidal rules, or better than at least 98% of the members of this forum anyway, thank you :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not defending anyone or taking any sides, not sure of any rockfish issue at 20ft, have not read any data at that depth and survival rate of lip hooked rockfish. Seen lots alive in long line boats offloading alive days later at jetty. Catch and release is performed with many species. Bass in Langford have all been caught? Can we all really say we Always have our lifejackets on and or make all those in our boats do same. Im guilty. Just moved from Comox and trolling salmon at 200+ ft up there. The pacific cod and rockfish surface bobbing on Kitty hump are not from commy's??? Still seeing tons of guys trolling??? Im guilty. Some of us even like eating the livelier floating pee cod. Glad I am in Vic and 55/65 has become the new numbers. Seeing lots of site members jumping all over other pers posts, do not understand why? Its a free world, lifejackets are required in the boat not on. Smart to be on but not law. Looked like a happy family doing some fishing in their boat, kids included good job, no harm done.

HM

Life Jackets

Seeing that little girl without a lifejacket makes the hair go up on the back of my neck......... totally irresponsible. I will leave comments about the "copper" rockfish he claims to someone else.

My only memory from when I was 3 was seeing my little brother face down in the bottom of a creek after my parents forgot to place a life jacket on him. Luckily he made it.

I fish with my 6 and 8 year old girls all summer long off Sooke and Victoria. They always keep their life jackets on and Dad does the same.
Respect the water.

Not defending anyone or taking any sides, not sure of any rockfish issue at 20ft, have not read any data at that depth and survival rate of lip hooked rockfish. Seen lots alive in long line boats offloading alive days later at jetty. Catch and release is performed with many species. Bass in Langford have all been caught? Can we all really say we Always have our lifejackets on and or make all those in our boats do same. Im guilty. Just moved from Comox and trolling salmon at 200+ ft up there. The pacific cod and rockfish surface bobbing on Kitty hump are not from commy's??? Still seeing tons of guys trolling??? Im guilty. Some of us even like eating the livelier floating pee cod. Glad I am in Vic and 55/65 has become the new numbers. Seeing lots of site members jumping all over other pers posts, do not understand why? Its a free world, lifejackets are required in the boat not on. Smart to be on but not law. Looked like a happy family doing some fishing in their boat, kids included good job, no harm done.

HM

Nicely put.

My only memory from when I was 3 was seeing my little brother face down in the bottom of a creek after my parents forgot to place a life jacket on him. Luckily he made it.

I fish with my 6 and 8 year old girls all summer long off Sooke and Victoria. They always keep their life jackets on and Dad does the same.
Respect the water.

Sorry for your near loss. I have the same picture of my brother face down in the water, unconscious while wearing a flotation device. I saved his life while he was wearing a flotation device. You may have seen us on the news a few years ago... apparently went across Canada. Here's the video if you missed it.

[9P5P-FTg81Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P5P-FTg81Y

Ok here goes my life jacket song and dance since it keeps coming up.

I've read the Canadian drowning statistics since this has come up a few other times when I've posted similar videos. Not surprisingly alcohol is the number one contributor to drowning and we don't drink alcohol. Surprisingly a good chunk of those who drowned were actually wearing their life jackets.

Here's my water resume:
I have an appreciation for the water, spent a lot of time at the lake growing up since both grandparents had lake houses. I currently live on a lake as well. I feel more comfortable in water than a fish. My wife and I were both lifeguards, we're both certified SCUBA divers, we are active participants in water sports (slalom, wakeboard, airchair, barefoot, surfing), I'm BLS and ACLS certified. I actually feel more comfortable in the water without a life jacket on since I'm faster and more agile.

I believe you guys are right that everyone should wear a life jacket, but that it remains a personal choice since it is not the law in Canada. In the USA kids under 13 have to wear life jackets, so my kids wear life jackets all the time down there.

I know people think I'm ignorant and irresponsible. You can see their life jackets sitting right there in the video on the floor, they had just been wearing them a bit earlier while driving and took them off for a while. It's not the law and it's a personal choice.

Luckily my Brother survived his accident and he got married this last weekend. They went water skiing the day after dressed up... no life jackets (now that's illegal)... but wouldn't have fit or made good pictures right? So guess who was in the boat in case anything happened for a quick rescue... yup, me. You don't have to all tell me your water tragedy accident stories I hear enough from my brother since he's an ER Doc... so he sees all kinds of accidents.

You think I'm irresponsible, but I think I'm competent. Anyways that's how I look at it.

Not incompetent maybe just a little misguided in your outlook on life. Some people outgrow the "I'm invincible stage" and others don't. Hopefully you are going east and I'm going west on the water. Common sense should not require a law to protect people from themselves. Accidents are called accidents for a reason.

Not incompetent maybe just a little misguided in your outlook on life. Some people outgrow the "I'm invincible stage" and others don't. Hopefully you are going east and I'm going west on the water. Common sense should not require a law to protect people from themselves. Accidents are called accidents for a reason.

See this is why I don't get into it, never ends, all the absolutely ridiculous stereotyping. You don't even know me and now somehow I'm going to endanger you by even going the same direction on the water??? That is ludicrous.

I guess fishermen are a bunch of people afraid of their own shadow. That's why you fish cause its the lamest, least active sport their is (I love fishing by the way). You better start wearing your life jacket in the bath tub in case you have a syncopal episode and drown! Which is highly likely as you age, vascular tone isn't as good, you have a vasovagal response getting in, pass out and drown. That's it, game over!

Misguided??? Have fun living life in the slow lane Barrie... what you think is misguided I say is living! Since when did not wearing a life jacket become reckless abandonment? Come on guys it isn't really that dangerous. You're going way overboard.... no pun intended.

I've got no problem with YOU doing what ever, when ever, how ever to yourself. But it Chaps my butt when guys like you tie up the rescue resources and hospital beds when things go bad. Plus it's irresponsible to allow any child on a boat WITHOUT a life jacket just because you are in Canada and the law isn't there to MAKE you do it. I've been around the block more than once, done things that were just stupid and it's a fine line. I know cause I've lost friends. But it's difficult for some people to grasp the concept. Best of luck in the future.

Don't forget to buckle up in the bath tub :D

I work in health care... guys like me don't tie up hospital beds. I've never been admitted in a hospital bed my whole life. You know what's the real drain. Those who drink Alcohol, smoke cigarettes, who are obese, unhealthy, who don't exercise... the hospital is full of these patients, filling beds, using tax dollars, wanting a miracle cure for their poor lifestyle. You may have been around that block... but I live on it.

I also think it's irresponsible to let kids eat fast food, let them play video games, let them watch tv all day, let them be inactive and become obese. Do you have something to say to all them when you pass them on the street?

I also think it's irresponsible to let kids eat fast food, let them play video games, let them watch tv all day, let them be inactive and become obese. Do you have something to say to all them when you pass them on the street?[/QUOTE]

Or wear life jackets!!!

Or wear life jackets!!!

I think we heard that one already Clint. Thanks for your 2 cents.

You're right I'm not one to wrap the kids in bubble wrap.

I am an irresponsible parent.

Hey have you noticed that writing lines are sure a lot easier since the invention of copy paste.

Ok, I'm out... Have fun boys.

Here's my super safe hobby with the kids, I love them to bits.
[HyNfkXBEzIU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyNfkXBEzIU

FishDoc - did you not basically say you would rather your kid's drown with you versus survive on your own? How nice of you to make that decision for them.

How you know that these baby's you are releasing survive? Just because they make it back to the bottom doesn't mean that being caught will not result in their death several days later.

So you kill a bunch of these bay's for fish Taco's; about 10 fish yield 1 lb of meat? What a waste.

You are either too stupid or too arrogant to "GET" the message DFO is sending concerning Rockfish. When i first started fishing BC the limit was 15. The response to declining stocks has been to reduce the limit, and create Rockfish conservation areas. No fishing of any sort is allowed in a RCA. If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.

Not winning any friends I see. Look this forum has its moments...I am not going to go on about your life jacket thing. Truth is I am part of that old generation that saw these rockfish depleted... They take years to grow. When you do catch and release a lot may not make it. I think that's what many are saying here. If you are going to do catch and release than maybe pic a very shallow area. I still don't think it's a good idea though..Just an opinion. I have taken a few big Ling cod but questioned it after I did it recently. You have to understand it's not the old days here..And if we want these fish to be enjoyed by all we have to watch how we fish them. I am not interested in bashing you just that's how I see it...Been fishing this area for 35 years. Seen dramatic decline with these fish.

He won my friendship! You guys are really over the top. He made his points and the hypocrisy is both ripe and thick. He explained himself more than very well.....just not the words you "safety nazis" what him to use....too bad. Really, over the top guys. Yeah, siht can happen, but it sounds like he's more than prepared. He even made it clear the kids wore there jackets while the boat was moving. Some of you guys are just wrong. Hypocrite, is the only word that applies, but I'm fairly sure you all drink the same flavour Koolaid, so what ever.

I fully expect to see all of you wearing your jackets, at all times....whether or not kids are on board. After all, it certainly wouldn't be fair to the children if there father where to drown......would it? Hungry and in foster care. Don't be that guy....wear your life jackets, ALWAYS!! Anything else is just.......hypocrisy.

I agree, that dude is a total hypocrite.

I also think it's irresponsible to let kids eat fast food, let them play video games, let them watch tv all day, let them be inactive and become obese. Do you have something to say to all them when you pass them on the street?[/QUOTE]

Or wear life jackets!!!

Back