Nahwitti Bar Crossing Video

elnino54

I've only been across the bar a few times and its always been nothing to be overly concerned about. This time was a little different and I'd approach and cross at different angle in the future. Its interesting how snotty some of those bars can get....and also a good learning experience for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8ctTl-OFv4

I know this will seem a little "one upmanship", but as the saying goes....... "you aint seen nutthin" I have seen commercial trollers nearly buried on that bar. I have personally had to "crab" over to the shore at dead slow speed to get away from the rip that forms mid channel on a stiff NW wind with a ebb tide. 6-7ft waves standing straight up and 3-5 ft apart. Hard to believe until you experience it.

But your vid is a good warning to those who are planning to fish the northern tip of Vancouver Island... That body of water can not be taken for granted

Cuba

I certainly have a new found respect for the area. It seemed much worse than what the video portayed at the time. Enough that I don't want to go through it like that again. I had even considered turning around but felt it was a better choice to maintain my bearing. I was in a 25' Pursuit, and wouldn't have wanted to be in anything smaller.........

Yup-- when we got caught (and I have crossed over many times) I was in my open bow 20ft Alumaweld... We COULDNT turn around. Big sigh of relief when we hit the shoreline backeddy. I just got a little over confidant . I have not made that mistake since. Even if it looks good down the center, I will run the shore now.

Back