My New "Old Boat"

Here is my New "Old Boat" It is a 20'6 Campion Hard Top. The previous owner just replaced the stringers and beefed up the transom for a pod. There is a new white epoxy paintjob, but the inside of boat is bare. I just bought the pod, I am dryfitting and drilling holes so I can have it powdercoated. Does anyone else have or no someone with a boat like this one. I am interested to know how it rides and how much power it needs to go fast. I have a newer Mercury 150 Black Max that I plan to put on it. Oh, and my brand new tandem trailer will be here this week. Live to Fish, Fish to Live. Also, anyone looking for a decent EZ Loader Roller trailer, the one under the boat is for sale, It has never been used in salt. Only Okanogan waters.
DSC05597.jpg
DSC05593.jpg

Boat looks like excellent!!! Nice looking pod but the kicker plate looks a little close to the main engine mounts have you checked the clearance on your 150 with it hard over?

Question - if the pod is aluminum why bother powder coating it??? If you have to kit out all the interior you are going to have lots of other things to spend $$$ on and bare aluminum will be easier to maintain than powder coated...

If you powder coat it one thing you might want to consider if you are going to use it for any swimming/diving at all is drilling out two 1.5" holes through the pod deck and tack welding on two pieces of hollow pipe to the underside. This will let you drop in a removable ladder any time you want. We use ours a lot.

Another thought would be to weld on two bolts to either side of the inside port/starboard facing vertical sides of the pod using a wooden spacing template. This way you can mount your zincs with teflon coated nuts onto those bolts. When you need to change the zincs you just lay your template down drill them and can even replace them easiliy when the boat is in the water.

Have fun with all the electrical!!! Three words "Shrink wrap tubing" :)

That's going to be a great fishing boat. I love it. Be sure to keep us posted and post some more pictures when it hits the water.

Highliner

Yes SIR, it does look like the pod is not wide enough for the big motor and kicker. But in fact it is a total of 8' wide, if you look close with that in mind I can damn near mount twin outboards and a kicker. I have enough room on one side to mount my big cooler. The nice thing also is the way the pod follows the contour of the bottom of the hull. There is also welded tabs made for the trim tabs, they don't need to be drilled into the fiberglass as so many do. And as for powder coat, I love it!!! If I need to drill holes in it, you just put down tape first and drill away, use some sikaflex for sealer and your done. I will weld on my zinc holding brackets before I powder coat. I have had a lot of boats (All Projects) and I think I am having the most fun with this one, but that's what I always say. Fish to live, Live to Fish.

If anyone has any hydraulic steering systems kicking around that they want to sell, give me an email.

I have new lines for it they are 20 ft im in victoria.

Wolf

ok the only reason i have them i went to a second helm and needed to have 4 lines shorter now not 2 they are not even a year old.

I tried your e-mail said there was an error???? best to email me bluewolf@telus.net

Wolf

A damn fine looking boat, man. Have you had it out yet?? Any fish??

Nice Boat! Does the pod run straight back from the bottom of the keel or does it angle up slightly? Let us know how she rides with the new pod. 150 hp should push that boat nicely

Thanks guys, I will be posting new pics soon.

I have been working on it every day since I posted those pics. The pod has a new welded zinc holder, I had the drain holes filled on the pod and the boat. I installed a water tight double locking deck plate on top. The pod has also just come back from powder coat..white! I am installing new bulk heads for a brand new aluminum 40 gallon fuel tank. I have just bought a gallon of PPG Epoxy primer and am redoing the back (transom) and then top coating in white. I bought a 2007 Tandem axle trailer for it. The 150 outboard is completely apart, powerhead and all.I am repainting the leg and bottom end in black so it's gonna look brand new..compression on the outboard is 115 on all six. All electronics are purchased and will be installed as soon as I finish paint.

I just want to go fishing...but...I have to admit, I love to work on my boat! To everyone out there that is thinking about doing it, if time is something you have, you can't beat a good project boat.

I have the same boat. I redid the stringers and floors a few years ago. YOu will be very happy with it. I hasve a 175 ocean pro on mine mounted on a bracket. Good luck with her, will keep an eye out for you on the water. I painted mine Hatteras Off White.
Cheers

Hey Barbender, I'm trying to email you directly but it isn't working? Anyways, could you send me some pics of your boat I'm really interested to see your layout. I'm nearing mid point on this project and would like to get some more ideas, thanks.

Hey

I have a sangster 19.5 with the pod also how did you put the drain hole for the boat. did you drill into the pod??? curious I am depending upon a bilge pump now and we all now how dependable they are if you are not around all the time..

Cory

The pod was fitted with a thru hull drain. The builder of the pod then continued the drain via a plastic pvc tube out the back of the pod. I had the holes filled and welded over, then powdercoated. Stick with the bilge. On a boat your size you don't need the drain holes, if it gives you piece of mind put in another pump on a seperate switch on a different fuse. One less place where water can make it in, and you never have to worry about having the plug in or not:)

Back