My Dad is Back in Jail

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

quote:

I don't know Bruce Montague, or all the details of the case.
From his daughters website, his sentence is broken down below.
I'm not sure most gun owners have handgungs with silencers, file off serial numbers, or convert their guns to fully automatic.
I'm guessing the "proceeds of crime" thing relates to him selling such weapons (the website says he is a "gunsmith"), unless he was doing this for hiw own use... in which case - what is he doing this for?

As written in the unofficial Sentencing Report available at www.BruceMontague.ca, Bruce Montague was sentenced as follows:

For six counts of “storing the two non-restricted firearms in a not unloaded conditionE- one year probation

For possession of firearms without a license and his “Deliberate defiance of the law in this respectE- six months imprisonment

For one count of possession of a silenced .22 caliber pistol E12 months;

For one count of “possession of a prohibited deviceEE90 day sentence to be served in the community;

For three counts of “possession of oversize magazinesEE90 day sentence to be served in the community;

For nine counts of “possession of loaded prohibited or restricted firearms or prohibited firearms with ammunition readily accessibleEE12 months;

For three counts of “altering a firearm to fire automaticallyE- 18 months.

For four counts of “the deliberate defacing or removal of a serial numberEE12 months;

Drag'n'Fly
22' Blue & White Starcraft Islander

I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the charges. Don't forget that in cases like this where the police and the state are trying to make a point, they will charge for EVERYTHING they can think of. Also, the court that did convict him, threw out half the charges.

The other thing to keep in mind is that Bruce was a licensed gunsmith who did work for police and military. They use fully automatic firearms. Worn firearms can also go full auto, without any intention by their owner of doing so. If you want to push this, I can show you how to make a Mini-14 go full-auto with a piece of string and no modification to the gun. Quite a useless exercise unless you goal is to burn up expensive ammo.

For those of you who own firearms and maybe even hunt, I would suggest that you find out more about Bruce's case because the same thing could happen to you. All you have to do is forget to renew your license.

On Wednesday (today!) parliament will vote on a motion to kill Bill C391 which would kill the long-gun registry. If the motion passes, and it looks like they have enough votes to do so, then the Failed Liberal Gun Registry will be with us for some time to come. The only way may be to elect a majority Conservative government in the next election. Only then will we be able to get rid of the registry.

Vote is to take place at about 5:30 PM EDT or 2:30 PM PDT in BC

You can watch on CPAC or CBC NewsWorld.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

Drag'n'Fly
22' Blue & White Starcraft Islander

Back