Motor input wanted!

SeaRogue

Hello all,

Looking for some input on what to expect in this hypothetical motor swap.

The current:

1999 Doral 240wa Ibiza. Basically a 24' Cuddy walk around, moderate v hull. Boat weighs approximately 4100 lbs, carrying 355 litres of fuel. No fresh water on board. Boat is sporting a 1999 Yamaha 225 OX66, WOT 5300 rpm at 41 mph, cruises happily at 4300 rpm at 28-30 mph. All trolling is done on a kicker. This boat is very similar to a Wellcraft, or something in that line.

The hypothetical:

In my shop I have a 2012 Mercury 200hp Verado. The l4 variant. Motor is in excellent shape, 6-700 hours on it. It might need the charge air cooler replaced, but that's to be determined. The motor to me is basically free. Originally plan was to sell it, but the wheels in my head started turning...

I am wondering what I could expect if I fit this Mercury onto my boat. Hole shot, cruise speed, and fuel efficiency being the primary curiosity, I don't need to run WOT, as that's $$$. Boat is primarily used for saltwater fishing, and sometimes pulling kids on ski's/tubes.

I think it would be a good combo. Ive got a 24' NWAC weighs roughly 5000# with a 225 verado. I cruise around 28knots @4200rpm. Fuel consumption is a lot of smiles her gallon, Goes great on west coast waters as well as tubing on the lake. I assume with your lighter boat and little smaller engine it should be similar?

I spent many an hour using the "prop' calculator on boat diesel.com before replacing my engines. It takes LOTS of HP to affect top end much. The merc is supercharged? If so then the torque of both engines may be similar, so hole shot should be similar. The owner of the shop who did my work replaced 2x 250 Etec 2 stroke with 2x300 4 stroke Yamaha's & dropped 5 mph on the top end (50 to 45) & burns 20% more fuel on a 28' Wellcraft. Usually a 10% HP drop would only reduce top end 2 mph or so. MPG should be 20 - 30% better with the 4 stroke.

Ok, thats kind of what I was thinking. Like I said the top end doesn't matter too much too me, more cruise and hole shot. And yes, the verado is supercharged, although an inline 4, not a v6

Ok, thats kind of what I was thinking. Like I said the top end doesn't matter too much too me, more cruise and hole shot. And yes, the verado is supercharged, although an inline 4, not a v6
If you prop it right you should be fine, I have a 25 wellcraft with Honda 225, 4 blade as 15x15 and Cruze 25 at 4200, 28-30 at 2800 and top out at 5800 at 40, hole shot is surprisingly very good, ad a 3x x18 before and it was a slug to get up, faster when on plane but burn 20% more fuel

my fishing machine is a 1992 23.5 Trophy with cuddy similar to your boat. Your use sounds similar to me. Installed the Verago 200 hp motor in 2012 and have no regrets. Sips gas at 4200 rpm compared to the old black max 175 that was on it. Other numbers look similar to those above. Key issue too is the prop, using 15 by 15.5 3 blade.

my fishing machine is a 1992 23.5 Trophy with cuddy similar to your boat. Your use sounds similar to me. Installed the Verago 200 hp motor in 2012 and have no regrets. Sips gas at 4200 rpm compared to the old black max 175 that was on it. Other numbers look similar to those above. Key issue too is the prop, using 15 by 15.5 3 blade.i your thinking of going to 4 blades, drop 2% of pitch, you will get better hole shot and be able to keep your boat on plane at lower speed, you will loose a bit on top end speed. Keep in Ming that you need to stay within the max Rpm at wot. For me the rpm at top end stayed the same maxing out at 5800. The only good I get from a 4 blade is it gets up quick, burns less fuel with the 4. I could use more hp on my boat but until my Honda craps out it’s staying on that boat, when it’s time for repower I will go to bigger hp, although my Hp rating is 250 max

my fishing machine is a 1992 23.5 Trophy with cuddy similar to your boat. Your use sounds similar to me. Installed the Verago 200 hp motor in 2012 and have no regrets. Sips gas at 4200 rpm compared to the old black max 175 that was on it. Other numbers look similar to those above. Key issue too is the prop, using 15 by 15.5 3 blade.
Thanks for that info Trophy, do you know what your boat typically weighs?

Thanks for that info Trophy, do you know what your boat typically weighs?
Only info I could find indicated around 4700 lbs. Add in equipment, water, ice, people, etc definitely feels alot heavier winching onto trailer! Luckily wife bought me a power winch after tearing my shoulder muscle.

Only info I could find indicated around 4700 lbs. Add in equipment, water, ice, people, etc definitely feels alot heavier winching onto trailer! Luckily wife bought me a power winch after tearing my shoulder muscle.
Thanks Trophy and Brutus, sounds like I should do ok if I decide to put this Verado on my boat. It needs a prop anyway, so I can pick out an appropriate pitch, blade number, etc. Good food for thought!

Back