***MOTOR FOUND ***Advise for 23' Hourston

What motor would best suit a podded 23' Hourston?

• Total voters

EZZ70

Just curious on your guys's feedback on motor size and brand for a podded 23' Hourston and which would have the best fuel efficiency?

I didn't vote but I run a 300 vrod on a 24 with a 9'4 beam. I've seen some good fuel burn numbers from Suzuki 300s so I'd say merc or Suzuki but I'm a merc guy.

I didn't vote but I run a 300 vrod on a 24 with a 9'4 beam. I've seen some good fuel burn numbers from Suzuki 300s so I'd say merc or Suzuki but I'm a merc guy.

Thank you for that

I would first decide what dealer you’d like to deal with as I think the top 3 manufacturerso are all good. Good customer service and warranty support from a local dealer should help with your decision

While a 250 should be enough I prefer the motor with the bigger displacement as it shouldn’t work as hard

Definitely decide what dealer you want to deal with, then look at the weight of the motors and pricing.

Suzuki seems to be gaining popularity but Mercury and Yamaha dealers are much more common. Something to consider for parts availability and troubleshooting/servicing up and down the coast.

Personally I'm a Yamaha guy so I'd go for the 300hp Yamaha 4.2L. The new Mercury 4.6L V8s look pretty sweet too.

Any ideas what a 2018 Yamaha 300 with 700hrs would be worth, providing the run-up all checks out 100%?

I just put on a new 2019 Yamaha F250 on my 5500 lb boat. Replaced my old 03 F225. I am very happy. Lots more hole shot and I now cruise at 27 mph at 300 less RPM. Great service from Sherway in Victoria...I wouldn't go anywhere else now after trying 10 different places over the last 40 years.

I too am thinking of podding my 23 Hourston While were on the subject
Thinking Suzuki
Whats rigging cost
Steering
Prop
Gauges
Are there differant options. Interwebs not giving up the info

Thank you all for participating in this survey...

I just picked up a 2018 300hp Yamaha XA (mechanical) with 750 hrs this weekend :D

IMG_6828.jpeg

300 has 2 models that I have been looking at, there are more, such as L = left rotation etc, the two basic differences are...

XA = mechanical shift (706 shifter)
XCA = digital shift (fly by wire)

I just bought a new mechanical Yamaha
F250. I’m super happy with it. I’m finding more speed less Rpm than my old F225. Hopefully less fuel burn too. Congrats.

I just bought a new mechanical Yamaha
F250. I’m super happy with it. I’m finding more speed less Rpm than my old F225. Hopefully less fuel burn too. Congrats.

Hey pescador, what boat do you have it on?

Grady White 228g. Weighs 5500 lbs in the water. Plenty of power. A 300 would great but I didn’t need the extra ponies.

Grady White 228g. Weighs 5500 lbs in the water. Plenty of power. A 300 would great but I didn’t need the extra ponies.

Gotcha ;)

Back