Motor flushing

Charter Tofino

I have been wondering what most guys on the board do with their outboards after fishing if their moored.My new engine has the thing on the back so you can just screw a hose into the cooling.Is their a problem with running it in neutral when its tilted up? Or is it best to just tilt the leg up and let it drain and not bother rinsing.

If only moored for a few days i wouldn't bother...
if you're moored for weeks at a time and want it flushed,
should be no problem running it will tilted.
Jut make sure there's a good flow of water to the motor.

fearnofishy-1-1.jpg

I flush my kicker with Salt Away. There is a hose attachment that comes with the kit. I really can't say for sure how well it works but my engines seem better than most of the same age.

Don't tip it up. The objective is to flush the cylinder block. After running with the fresh water supply for 3 min then tip it up for storage. :)
quote:Originally posted by kelly

I have been wondering what most guys on the board do with their outboards after fishing if their moored.My new engine has the thing on the back so you can just screw a hose into the cooling.Is their a problem with running it in neutral when its tilted up? Or is it best to just tilt the leg up and let it drain and not bother rinsing.

Had my boat in Pedder last year and did not have the option to flush with fresh water after each use as recommended by the manufacturer.
Had it serviced in March and was told that the thermostat was spotless. Now in Sooke only flush every other time, if that.
If so inclined I think flushing would be a good thing, as in it can't hurt if done.
cheers

gonefishingsign.gif

kelly i think those attach a hose flush things right intop the engine are designed to just hook it up without the motor runing atall, look into that for me [?]

make sure the zinc on your motor is always under water or it wont be workingif you run it tilted the impeller must be getting water all the time impellers get hot quickly and burn outquicker

make absolutely sure there is no fresh water in engine or leg over winter asit can freeze and break leg or engine that goes for exhaust manifolds on inboards too a buddie flushed his an both cracked a couple years ago

I moor it for the summer. No fresh water is left during winter. Im not running the engine dry when its tilted the hose is attached to the engine. It says attach hose and run for a few mine to rinse out but thats easy if on a trailer. If your moored and your legs in the water it will probaly just intake salt water even with the hose on.

quote:Originally posted by bee15

make sure the zinc on your motor is always under water or it wont be workingif you run it tilted the impeller must be getting water all the time impellers get hot quickly and burn outquicker

If he runs it with the flush hose connected, there won't be any worry
about damaging the impeller.

nebarb sent me this he couldnt get on to post it.

i just looked it up and the hose attachment on your motor is designed to flush it out without the motor runnig atall, as long as you can hook it up within 1 or 2 minutes of turning the moto off (dock, leave motor idling, get the hose, kill motor, hook up and go) and you just leave it for 3 or 4 mins.. you need to hook i up right away though OR leave the motor running if its off for a whiel becasue the thermostats will close, so you will still lfush the entire sytem except for the cylindar block.

A guy I know ran his motor while flushing with only the hose screwed into the motor not with the mouse ears and toasted his impellor. Do not run the motor while there is no water supply to the intakes on the bottom of the leg or you'll need a new impellor.

diamondback485

Thanks for that post Kelly, I thought that the stat would close keeping it from flushing the block,and good info about burning the impellor out Sean.Dan

Back