Most Pathetic Excuse Ever for Not Going Fishing?

How about cant go my wife's on here period!!!!! WTF..... needless to say he wasnt invited again.....
Reminds of this story.

A young guy from North Dakota moves to Florida and goes to a big "everything under one roof" department store looking for a job.
The Manager says, "Do you have any sales experience?"
The kid says "Yeah. I was a vacuum salesman back in North Dakota ."
Well, the boss was unsure, but he liked the kid and figured he'd give him a shot, so he gave him the job. "You start tomorrow. I'll come down after we close and see how you did."
His first day on the job was rough, but he got through it. After the store was locked up, the boss came down to the sales floor. "How many customers bought something from you today?"
The kid frowns and looks at the floor and mutters, "One".
The boss says "Just one?!!? Our sales people average sales to 20 to 30 customers a day. That will have to change, and soon, if you'd like to continue your employment here. We have very strict standards for our sales force here in Florida . One sale a day might have been acceptable in North Dakota , but you're not on the farm anymore, son."
The kid took his beating, but continued to look at his shoes, so the boss felt kinda bad for chewing him out on his first day. He asked (semi-sarcastically), "So, how much was your one sale for?"
The kid looks up at his boss and says "$101,237.65".
The boss, astonished, says $101,237.65?!? What the heck did you sell?"
The kid says, "Well, first, I sold him some new fish hooks. Then I sold him a new fishing rod to go with his new hooks. Then I asked him where he was going fishing and he said down the coast, so I told him he was going to need a boat, so we went down to the boat department and I sold him a twin engine Chris Craft. Then he said he didn't think his Honda Civic would pull it, so I took him down to the automotive department and sold him that 4x4 Expedition."
The boss said "A guy came in here to buy a fish hook and you sold him a boat and a TRUCK!?"
The kid said "No, the guy came in here to buy tampons for his wife, and I said, 'Dude, your weekend's shot, you should go fishing.’

Thats why mans best friend is a good fishing partner. Always eager to go and never gives you a lame excuse not to!!

Could be that they have gone fishing with you before, learned their lesson,and just don't want to hurt your feeling by telling you they will never go fishing with you again.

This topic is on fire!I've had the"i have to cut the grass"once only.Now we know why so many people are out there alone,including me.

I've gone out with some pretty awesome folks that were nice enough to invite me along. All of those times I really wanted to go and I also knew if I was a no show or had some lame excuse, the chances of being asked again would be slim if any. Over the years I have heard quite a few excuses (many of them listed in this thread) and had a couple of no shows but I have also become friends with quite a few great fishing partners that didn't give excuses, showed up, helped out, and were/still are a pleasure to fish with. I like meeting new people and won't stop trying to fish with them. I guess it boils down to the passion one has for fishing and being on the water and of course not everyone shares that same passion.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to walk my dogs in the dark before we head out fishing in the AM.....can we leave a little later......you know who you are..hehe

had a buddy come fishing wcvi for our annual trip for the past 10 years in August... He got a new girl who decided to call the cabin one night and talk to her hubby....(strike#1) he was proper facked up!!(his problem strike#2) I scheduled the next year and he told me he wasn't aloud to go! LMFAO!!(strike #3) beat it your out!

had a buddy come fishing wcvi for our annual trip for the past 10 years in August... He got a new girl who decided to call the cabin one night and talk to her hubby....(strike#1) he was proper facked up!!(his problem strike#2) I scheduled the next year and he told me he wasn't aloud to go! LMFAO!!(strike #3) beat it your out!

lol, bye bye

"I don't think I can make it today.." this was at 6am after the guy had asked me about getting out on the boat every time he saw me for the last year... no real explanation given by him lol

I've gone out with some pretty awesome folks that were nice enough to invite me along. All of those times I really wanted to go and I also knew if I was a no show or had some lame excuse, the chances of being asked again would be slim if any. Over the years I have heard quite a few excuses (many of them listed in this thread) and had a couple of no shows but I have also become friends with quite a few great fishing partners that didn't give excuses, showed up, helped out, and were/still are a pleasure to fish with. I like meeting new people and won't stop trying to fish with them. I guess it boils down to the passion one has for fishing and being on the water and of course not everyone shares that same passion.

I agree with you Sculpin but it seems like a lot of people like the 'idea' of fishing more than actually fishing... the number of sellouts I've experienced is astonishing and frustrating as the boat owner..

Back