More problems with my RoadRunenr trailer

E

El Pescador

Last year I made a post about my ordeal with a Road Runner trailer.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8495

Fast-forward since last time I posted, I am in the process of replacing (again, third set in three seasons!!!) the bearings because of water ingress (again). Packing and inspecting the bearings every season and keeping the "bearing protectors" (AKA "bearing buddies") filled has not cured the problem because now I have also found pitting on the spindles surfaces where the seals make contact, which makes the seals become ruined in no time (and before someone asks, yes, they are the double-lip with spring, marine seals). I have done some research, and found that two ways of dealing with that problem are:

1) Installing a speedi-sleeve. The quotes I got for those sleeves vary from $54 to over $100 apiece (54 mm ID).

2) Installing an original BearingBuddy spindle-seal kit.

http://www.bearingbuddy.com/spindle_seal.html

Don't know if spindle-seal kits are available here in VI or I have to order them directly from BearingBuddy. However, from a cost perspective, it seems (in principle) the spindle-seal kits are a better alternative than the speedi-sleeves (mine would be kit #11).

http://www.bearingbuddy.com/orderss.htm

Since I am sure I am not the only person experiencing this type of problem, I would like to hear some opinions from other people who have gone through my same situation,a nd how they managed to cure it.

Regarding the rest of the trailer, I am installing a new set of galvanized electric brakes, but this time I am coating them with Fluid Film (excluding, of course, the drums, brake lining and the part of the magnet that comes into contact with the drum) hoping that they will last longer than the original ones. Additionally, the battery for the breakaway system is toast (the voltage drops to zero when the breakaway switch is pulled and it won't energize the brakes). And at least one of the bunks needs new carpet, as the original one is split (actually, that's the case since 2 years ago).

I have never had so many problems with a trailer in my life, and this is the sixth trailer I own. Next time (that is, if there is a "next time") I will make damn sure it is NOT a Road Runner, and I will likely explore alternatives to electric brakes if the new set deteriorates as fast as the original (yes, I flushed them every time I came home from fishing and launched many times at Clutesi, where it is virtually fresh water).

had an Allspeed trailer once that the back seals had gone on. I lubed them up every trip both to and from the ramp. Towed the trailer all over the province for 10 years with zero trouble. Sort of like owning a 4 banger that burns oil. Just keep adding the grease and I launched in both fresh and salt water.

I can't say enough good things about Shorlandr trailers...awesome roller system..perfect long lasting disc brakes and dropped axles for shallow launching. I've owned 2 of them...had to go all the way to Red Deer for the 2nd one as there is no longer a BC distributor. Worth the effort.

I have had Road Runner and Ezy Loader trailer and think the Ezy Loaders are slighter better quality; however, I think any trailer well used in the salt chuck is going to have problems. I think the more you maintain your trailer the more problems you see but less downtime. My spindles have some minor pitting and I maintain the trailer well. I use fluid film around my brake drums, it slows corrosion down but that's about it. I think electric are better brakes but takes as much to maintain. Do your annual maintaince with good quality parts and grease, replace the brakes when needed, and don't worry unless there's heat on the bearing buddy when you come to a stop. Make sure your hubs are filled with a good quality marine grease when repacking.

Thanks for your answers. The worrying part is that there was no heat in the hubs, yet one of the bearings fell into pieces (the rollers came out of the cage) once I removed it. In fact, the inner race was starting to seize to the spindle and it took some elbow grease to remove it; and both inner and outer races were heavily brinnelled and pitted. One more trip to Port Alberni and I'm sure I would have ruined the axle (see picture).

DSC05226.jpg

Here is a picture of the pitting that's ruining the seals.

DSC05237.jpg

I haven't heard any comments regarding preferences about using speedi-sleeves or Bearing Buddy spindle seal kits to deal with the pitting problem. I believe there must be a way when there are folks who use Bearing Buddies and don't take their bearings apart in years and , despite using their trailers frequently, they have no water ingress problems.

I have a road runner 6500 trailer and have had exactly the same problems you have. I lost an axle at the top of the sayward hill due to bearing failure-had to replace bearings every year-it was a nightmare because I tow from comox to winter harbour on a regular basis. Total of about 6000 km a year. I would have never had problems if I just went a few miles and launched. I have been trouble free now for 4 years and on the same set of bearings. I installed 4 Stainless speedisleeves from Chicago Rawhide and switched to oil bath hubs. I get my rear seals from ez-loader trailers which are double lipped and made of teflon. I see no sign of pitting on the speedi sleeve and thus no water incursion. You will still have trouble with electric brakes-they never were made to be immersed. People will swear by buddy bearings but they won't save you from the problems of pitted spindles-once they are pitted no seal in the world will keep out the water. If you have a Light boat for the trailer and don't tow too far Buddy bearings might work but I suspect people who swear by them don't haul 200 km at a time on a regular basis. If you want more info drop me an e-mail. This problem is not only a Road Runner problem but is common to almost all trailers unless they have stainless spindles.

I have an Ezy loader trailer for my 17 ft boat, came with oil filled bearings.Awesome, can see the oil if it is contaminated or a leak. 3 years no problem. Trip to Gold river broke one of the plastic caps and lost the oil. Watched it from Cambell to Gold River no problem. At gold I jacked it up and packed with greas for the launch. Back home checked the bearing, was pitted from the salt,other side perfect. Replace the bearings and seal put on the new and improved metal caps and good to go. So to me oiled filled bearings are far better run much cooler and easy to see if there is a problem.
As for brakes I do recommend hadraulic seerge disc. disc are always in contact with the rotors, no rust and great stopping power. Just my 2 cents

Thanks your your responses, folks. Lots to digest here, but it seems that the culprit is getting good sealing between the axle and the hub. Again, I never had problems with Bearing Buddies (or Fulton Bearing Protectors) installed on single axle trailers with hydraulic brakes or no brakes and carrying up to 18' boats, but this tandem axle RR monster with electric brakes is definitely a different animal [}:)].

Back