More elk lake accidents

This isn't my issue, but fishing is way cooler than spandex. So how about a series of protest fisheries? Get a read on the timing of some big practices or events and then go jam up the whole lake. And why not record some of the unsafe practices and the threatening language too. I'd even make it my issue and drive down for something like that. Maybe we could even organize tournaments to coincide with their events? I think that would be super fun.

you should see these tards in burrard inlet.... came out from the log boom (rocky point launch) no way i could even see them over the booms,as i was slowing for 5kt rule, pull up to the dock and got yelped at by a rower. i laughed and replyed "wow you gotta lotta draft for an ocean going vessel!" i dont think he even knew what i meant... and no pfd's on? do they wair pfd's on the lake?
No, they do not wear PFD's on the lake. The coach boats are supposed to have necessary safety gear for the rowers under their direct supervision. It is debateable whether they always do or not.
By no means are all the rowers under the supervision of coach boats either. On November 27, 2010, a rower collided with one of the large Transport Canada buoys on Elk Lake, capsized and ended
up in the cold lake water. An angler anchored nearby, noticed the rower in the water, pulled his anchor, started his motor and boated over. He pulled the rower into his boat and took him over to
the Victoria Rowing Society clubhouse facility where the rower thanked him for his efforts. However, the angler was then verbally abused by a bunch of female rowers who docked at the floats and
told him that he had no right being where he was. All this abuse before they even checked to see why he was there. The angler returned the compliment by giving them a piece of his mind and
left the scene.

Its stupid of them to have the national center at such a popular lake. They should make/use a man made setup but likely dont have the $$$. Unfortantly vic is one of the few places in canada they can train year round because of ice and the canadian rowing teams are very strong so i dont see much changing soon.

Well were on the subject of "JOCKS" what about the biathalon @ Theitis lk. take over the whole lk. & use gas moters to boot on a elec. moter only lk. Hey come to think of it we're "sportsfisherman" shouldn't we be classified as "JOCKS" LMAO shouldn't we get the same treatment, but please no spandex guys!

A meeting of the Elk/Beaver Lake Recreational Use Advisory Group will be held
Thursday March 03, 2011 at the CRD Parks headquarters, 490 Atkins Avenue
starting at 7:00 PM. The meeting is open to the public. The meetings usually
last until 9:00 or 9:30. Agenda items include future membership and update
reports from the Saanich Police Department and Transport Canada concerning
safety issues related to rower/angler conflicts. Please attend if you are a
concerned angler on Elk Lake.

It's Aktins Road I think beside Millstream Creek by Mill Hill Prk. (langford)

Make a floating sign put it up by the highway and pointed at the road. It advertises the A-hole of the month. When someone gets verbally abused by a rower, take a picture..photo shop in a gold medal around their neck and they go on the sign for a month. LOL

Well Pro when you cut people off at Otter maybe we should do the same with you.. A-Hole of the Month. LOL..

That's priceless Fins n skins Maybe make em run it on a flag!

A meeting of the Elk/Beaver Lake Recreational Use Advisory Group was held Thursday March 03
at the CRD Parks headquarters. Transport Canada rep, John Bentham, confirmed that the 9
permanent buoys applied for by the Victoria Rowing Society were approved by Ottawa on
January 20, 2011. The approval is valid for a period of 50 years. The schedule of events for
2011 (virtually all rowing regattas) was also approved by TC in Ottawa. These will be posted
at the Eagle Beach and Brookleigh boat launches. Saanich Police Constable Brad Brajcich
reported on the accident which occurred January 07 between University of Victoria rowers
and a fisherman. The angler is presently involved in civil action against the University in
respect to damages caused and replacement of his boat. Brad also mentioned that signage
at the Brookleigh ramp is not adequate and not being enforced regarding non boat launchers
parking in the boat ramp parking lot.

There could be more signs than water at most of the Sooke hot spots if you put signs up for that. :)

From my experiences the rowers there are ignorant as$Holes and I think they should row on a different lake not one so well known for great fishing.

-Steve

This is an ongoing problem for both sides, so to help out I can let you guys know the flow pattern for our practices. Please understand that we are not trying to cause problems and the reason we go down into beaver lake is simply to get a long enough practice stretch.

Flow pattern is as follows.

Launch, head to point one. (Far end of the side of the lake with the fishing dock. From there we follow the buoy line down into beaver lake, usually sticking as close to it as we can. The stretch we row there is 2.7 km from the end of elk lake into beaver. We then row up to the little island and go around it to the other side. The rest of practice is just doing loops around the buoy line (and around the island at the end) until practice is over. Sometimes at the end of practice we row partway to hamsterly, then in, but usually don't end up anywhere near shore at that time.

Rowing shells go in a straight line, so if you see one a ways off heading in your direction, it will continue on that path, so make calculations for your heading. And since our boats are anywhere from 15-60 feet long I can't imagine how you could possibly miss it. Even head on our oars span around 24 feet. Please realize that we don't want to hit you any more than you want to be hit. These boats are carbon fiber and extremely expensive. We are traveling backwards, yes, but we do try to look at what will be in way.

Having been in a near miss with rowers while I was stationary, would it be too much to ask that rowers look over their shoulders once in a while or install mirrors while on a PUBLIC lake. Guess what, you'll have to figure out how to adjust standard training, learn how to maneuver if you want to SHARE. Seems by the above post that it is all up to other users to take action for safety from the hazard created by rowers. Otherwise, UVic with all it's wealth, should build their own lake.

We aren't looking to ram solid metal boats with our fragile, expensive carbon fiber shells. I bet the crew who almost hit you had many squats, burpees or pushups to do when they got back to the dock. Contrary to popular belief it is a very serious matter to us. We look over our shoulders usually every ten strokes but when rowing 30 beats per minute, only a quick look is possible and there are blind spots. Installing mirrors is easier said than done, as they would break easily, and where would you attach one so you could see everything? I will be honest, there are head mounted mirrors available but they are awkward and small and few people use them as I understand picking out small boat sized objects is difficult. I totally agree, the lake is a public one, and therefore should be shared. What I can't agree on unfortunately is that we change our practice course. We use every inch we can reasonably get in a straight line, which is just under 3km. When a race is 2km and that 3km stretch is also the only 2km stretch it makes things tricky. Today though for example we had a maximum of ten boats on the water and none came anywhere close to the prime fishing spots. In fact the closest a fishing boat came to us what when we were stationary at one end of the lake, and HE approached US. Not the other way around.

I am sorry you took the previous post in a negative way, but I wouldn't waste my time digging up an old post if not for good reason. Now every fisherman on the forum who takes the time to read this can make plans when they see the shells out and act accordingly, as they will know what parts of the lake we are using and when. I hope this makes things clearer.

Side note: I don't row for uvic. I row for Vic City. There are several programs that row out of that boathouse, including the Olympic team. Not one of those groups has enough money to simply pack up and move. And where to? Because if we did, there would be a whole new group of people complaining.

What you don't seem to understand is that rowing on a public lake, or in the Gorge is a privilege. Everything you suggest is for others to accommodate you. I think if you expect to share you'll have to adjust and make the best out of your workouts as you can. For example, I run, but still have to stop at intersections, slow down or give dog walkers their space. The rowers (and paddlers) in the harbour/gorge waterways have become even more of a gong show. I've had my floating fly line crossed and been within touching distance of paddles. Even the dudes in the safety/coach boat gives little regard to other users. Smarten up or there will be reports made.

I've been fishing elk lake since I was a kid. There have ALWAYS been rowers there I learned early their probable course and to avoid them.

I think if push came to shove it wouldn't be the rowers who no longer have access to the lake. Don't forget fishing, swimming and pleasure boating are also privileges.

Perhaps some perminent rowing lanes need to be installed so other users have an easy time staying out of the high traffic zones that might be a good solution.

Eroyd if your floating line is getting run over your too close and/or not paying attention! When the rowers are coming get out of the way don't expect them to see your line 30ft away and steer around you they could be future olympic athletes and they are training to row in a straight line not zig zag through obstacles. Share the water or move to a different lake fishermen have that option but rowers do not. Your example of stopping for traffic on a run is a great one. You learned on the road to keep out of a cars way now learn on the lake to keep out if the rowers way and you won't have a problem.

Thanks GDW for understanding.

There is a line of buoys marking our regular course. They are layer out every 250m I think, maybe every 500. Not the most prominent, I know but anything else would be a hazard for pleasure craft.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's harder to get out of the way than you might think if you are in a belly boat.
I agree, no user group is going to go away, so we all need to find a way to work together.
I've never really had an issue while fishing in the lake, with rowers. I have however, been quite concerned a few times while tubing and skiing/wake boarding with my kids. When I'm on the lake with my kids doing water sports in the spring and summer, I am required to stay in the over 9.9hp boundary. I was teaching one of my kids to wakeboard, so it's up/down for the evening. The rowers seem to have the 'right' to come through the power boating section. They move pretty quick, and when someone has fallen off and is in the water, it can be a very stressful and dangerous situation. Like Falcon says, they are 'glancing' back for boats, not little heads bobbing in the water waiting to be picked up. It's very easy to flag off another power boater, but the rowers will not/can't alter their course. They can come on you pretty quick.
This is also a dangerous situation.
The boating area is actually quite small and that part of the lake can become quite busy.

Last edited by a moderator:
inexperienced boaters or young rowers in a busy lake is the problem...It would be good if everyone has a boating card when going out in the lake.

Back