Moose populations falling across N. America

What a surprise, urban sprawl continues to invade on the animals natural territory while people
continue hunting them.
100 years ago, no issue.
100 years from now, big problem.

My favourite quote from that article “If the heart stops beating, it sends a text message to our phone that says, ‘I’m dead at x and y coordinates,’

2 main things in that article.

Unregulated hunting and wolves. Both are 2 very serious problems here in BC. Global warming? not so much....

2 main things in that article.

Unregulated hunting and wolves. Both are 2 very serious problems here in BC. Global warming? not so much....

Many factors at play here. "Unregulated hunting", chiefly by FN's who exercise their "rights" to harvest (including cows & calves) at any time of the year, and refuse to provide harvest numbers is one problem. Predation by Wolves and Bears has increased substantially, especially so in areas that have been opened up for logging (pine beetle salvage notably) and other industrial activities is another. The tick situation alluded to in the article is not as threatening here in BC as it is elsewhere, but nonetheless, another issue. And one that is not mentioned (and basically covered up) is the use of defoliants in newly clear cut areas in the North. The latter is another large contributing factor methinks. A couple of us are currently investigating - will report once we have more...

Nog

A few years back we shared our opening morning clearing with a whole crew of guys spraying herbicide. After talking to them and warning them it's opening day, they revealed their main target was the willows. This is exactly what the moose eat so I wouldn't be surprised if this spray does significant damage to animals. These guys weren't waving around diluted roundup, they were geared up with respirators etc. :confused:

I think Jack (reelaffair) may be personally responsible for this decline.
He is a moose hunting machine.

Tips

WELL urban sprawl hhmmm seems the deer around here rather enjoy the "urban area" just fine to where there is too many ......so I can bunk on that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC38pDCe7sc

Seems the moose didnt get the memo about the urban areas wish they would stay in the forest where they belong!!! damn it.......
also listen to what SHE says........

What a surprise, urban sprawl continues to invade on the animals natural territory while people
continue hunting them.
100 years ago, no issue.
100 years from now, big problem.

Actually RS moose are relative new comers to most of where the urban sprawl is....although the two biggest clear cuts and urban sprawl in BC are where you live and the LM, two places where moose are non existant.

Moose only came down from Northern BC in the early 1900, they were not around the interior of BC, where the biggest population is. Urban sprawl might be in Minnesota and a problem there, but it is not a problem here in Canada.

Wolves, unregulated hunting by indians, poaching by poachers, ticks (yes Nog they can be hard on pockets of moose), massive clear cuts with a multitude of roads systems for both the 2 legged and 4 legged preds to run, the continous use of herbicides on what companies call biodiversity of a block (leave lots of cover and veg on a block for biodiversity and they spray the hell out of it to give the young forest a chance to grow), trains (yes trains kill more moose than hunters every year), highways and loss of habitat due to our great ability to control fires are all helping to reduce moose populations, but only in some areas. The sky is not falling yet.

Hunters have a very small impact on any animal population, due to it being regulated by either LEH or antler restrictions.

So to blame hunting as a reason is complete BS. But like a lot of hunters I know, it is so easy to blame hunters as we are up front about what we do....an our own worst enemies.

Cheers

SS

Not blaming hunting, simply stating that if the population keeps expanding into both urban and
rural areas putting continued pressure on the animals they won't have any place to exist.

Sitka,
good points and I do hope that human overpopulation does not disturb the balance
and that regulated hunting will continue in the best interest of people and animals.

Cuba,
I'm distraught....:(

;)

Ha ha I want to see the people in Oak Bay put up with Moosies in their gardens.

Great post Ken. Nice to see you sticking around when we need it :cool:. I hope all is well with you.

Cheers,
John

That was a pretty poor piece of journalism, short on fact, long on anecdote, very big on generalisation. Seemed to imply that a moose in downtown Smithers was an indication of impending doom. Moose populatiuons in BC grew enormously in the 20th century as widespread logging created more favourable habitat for them. Even since the 1980s moose have been expanding into areas that had never seen them before, like the high ground to each side of the Okanagan. The story mentions 'unregulated hunting,' but it's mostly tight regulation in this province. Yes, some FN hunt all year, but those folks make up less than 5% of the population, don't be looking for scapegoats there.

... The story mentions 'unregulated hunting,' but it's mostly tight regulation in this province. Yes, some FN hunt all year, but those folks make up less than 5% of the population, don't be looking for scapegoats there.

You simply cannot employ population demographic figures to imply that one sector's influence is limited due to their lower representation in the general overall population. Such a correlation is flawed, especially so without considering spacial factors (area of occupancy) and of course differing harvest practices amongst the various sectors.

While FN members represent ~ 5% of the overall population in BC (as of 2006 - likely somewhat larger now given their populations were growing at > 15% per annum - approximately three times as fast as non-aboriginal populations then) one must consider where their populations tend to concentrate. Generally that is not so much in larger centers where their presence is often approaching 1% or even less. However in the North and more remote locations, that number increases to 15% and better according to the Northern Health Authority. Simply stated, the FN presence increases per unit of overall population in exactly many of those areas inhabited by moose. By itself, simply an interesting observation of population dynamics...

However, as you alluded to, harvest rates by non-aboriginals is strictly controlled - harvest rates established via scientific studies are designed to maintain a stable and/or growing moose population and breeding cow removals are kept to a minimum except in cases where populations are expanding beyond range tolerances (rare). More and more the trend in BC is towards Limited Entry Hunting (LEH) for moose, which of course is a reflection of ever increasing restrictions on their harvest (a means of reducing harvest numbers) amongst the hunting population the Government can control.

On the other side of that coin is the unregulated and chiefly unreported moose harvests conducted by FN groups. "Unregulated" in that via aboriginal harvest rights the Government has basically NO say in what numbers FN members can and do remove from the resource. Nor can they define the timing of such activities. "Unreported" in that FN organizations have to date been extremely reluctant to track such harvest numbers or provide any input in this regard to overall management objectives.

What this means when related back to population dynamics is that while FN may represent but 5% or so of the overall population, their removal rate (harvest rate) per individual is exponentially higher than their non-aboriginal counterparts.

This is extremely problematic for managers to deal with. Managing any population that can be and is harvested in an unregulated and unreported manner becomes a Crap Shoot. Base Population and Target Numbers fly out the window when these are subject to change without any regard to overall management objectives.

You are correct in that not all FN members harvest moose on a continuous basis. However there are many that do. And there are many examples of over-harvesting amongst this particular sector in BC, including but not limited to the removal of breeding cows in areas of reduced population densities.

NOT
looking for a "Scape Goat" here, simply recognizing that the suggestion FN influences on dwindling moose populations based solely on population dynamics is an erroneous approach.

IMHO it is time the FN Organizations got On Side with management, and become part of the solution rather than otherwise. A simple program of collecting & reporting harvest information from their own would go a long ways towards bettering management in this province overall. And should those numbers indicate non-sustainable harvests are occurring in any area / sub-population, perhaps some thought should be given towards restraint in order to keep such populations from even further declines...

As I noted in my previous post in this thread, FN harvests are but one factor of many that may be playing a role in the decline of BC's moose populations. In the interest of turning those declines around, methinks we should take immediate steps to address as many of those factors as we possibly can...

Just this man's point of view...

Cheers,
Nog

Back