mooring chain

Matt16

I need help finding the right bottom chain and the chain that goes up to the mooring ball. Suggestions? I'm in Vancouver. If it is cheaper to use heavy used (i.e. de-rated chain) instead of galvanized, I'd consider that.

Mooring a 22 footer powerboat in 25' of water (at high tide) in a relatively protected bay.

just get stainless steel chain. its a small boat and you dont need much. or Acco High Test if you must go cheap. 75 feet of 5/16" with a rocna vulcan.

Last edited:
I think you're talking about anchoring. I'm talking about a permanent mooring ball attached to a 500lbs anchor.

I just use heavy galvanized chain for the bottom ten feet or so. If you're in any kind of mud, what happens is the chain sinks in and doesn't really corrode much. The last time I replaced mine, the bottom ten feet were in really good shape after five years in the ocean. The vertical stuff was down to a shoelace.

So I run heavy galvanized chain to a shackle, and then Amsteel rope from there up through the water column. It seems to last longer than heavy chain anyway, and it's cheap.

Stainless corrodes if underwater. It needs oxygen exposure to retain the surface layer that protects it, so long term moorings don't really benefit from it.

I would use approx. 15' of long link galvanized mooring chain of 1/2" https://www.e-rigging.com/1-2-Trident-Marine-G4-Hot-Dipped-Galvanized-Mooring-Chain hooked to block, then approx. 25' of 1" nylon, then 6' of galv. chain that would go through your buoy to a ring. the long link would mostly sit on bottom in the mud/sand and would last a very long time and would absorb wind waves and tidal surges by lifting off the bottom, and the nylon would last a very long time too and absorb shocks better than chain. The last 6' will need to be replaced every 2-3 years. I would invest in a larger block than 500 lbs, and get a buoy that has pvc sleeve in center that the 6' of chain goes through and hooks to a ring. good luck. DAJ

I’m in 20’ of water or so at high tide. From the cement anchor I use 15’ of 5/8” chain and then 45’ of lighter chain (1/2”) I believe, which runs to the mooring bouy. Then I have 17’ or so of rope with with stainless eyelets at both ends. One end connects to the boats trailering hook with a stainless snap hook and the other end will connect to the underside of the mooring bouy. The mooring rope should be shorter than your boat so their is no chance of it getting caught in your prop if it gets loose when running. I’ve found over the years that hook up to the boat and mooring ing bouy is that lower is better. We get exposure to NW wind so need good surge protection given by the chain. Rope gives no wave absorption and will jerk on your anchor.
1636920266378.jpeg

Last edited:
Back