Monster sooke salmon??????

Deewar25

Playing poker the other night and a guy was trying to convince me that a 67 pounder came into Sooke Harbour in August, and like a high 50's as well to Cheanuh...he swore by it even though we called him on it...anyone heard anything along those lines that could verify??

I did hear of one in Aug. In the mid 50's but personally saw one come in and get hung on the scales and it weighted 49.5 lbs. I believe it came from Secretary. As for me catching one that big.... I can only dream......lol.

I don't know about anymore, but there was usually a 65er caught there every year when I was a kid..

Here are the 5 biggest on Island outfitter's leader board

1) 51.2 lbs. – Nick Tzonev – Logan Creek – Anchovy – September 8th
2) 51.2 lbs. – Terry Wamback – Bedford Islands – Anchovy - September 11th
3) 48.8 lbs. – Ron Cheeke – Secretary Island – Anchovy – September 3rd
4) 47.6 lbs. – Keith Gowanlock – Port Renfrew – Anchovy – August 29th
5) 45.1 lbs. – Milko Jadresko – Trap Shack – Anchovy – June 14th

Surely a 67lb would have weighed in and cleaned up top prize
wouldn't you think ?

We all know that most salmon caught by sportsfishermen have a tendency to keep growing for several months after being caught, don't we? :D[:p]

No offense too anyone Craven but the last thing on alot of guys minds is going too fitters after a day of fishing!!

I talk to the guys at cheanuh and the biggest I heard of was the 51 from the bedfords and that high 40's - I think a 67lb'er would have came.

quote:Originally posted by vince gee

No offense too anyone Craven but the last thing on alot of guys minds is going too fitters after a day of fishing!!

True enough, specially after numerous boat pops...;)
but... it would be an easy 1st prize

thats exactly it...if i caught a 67 pounds, or high 50's, i'd sure of heck headed to outfitters knowing a big prize awaits! The guy didn't 'look' like he was full of it, but we were playing poker after all and that might have been his poker face :D...says he lives nearby sooke harbour marina and gets the scoop on most of the catches. I may call out of my own damn curiousity. Never know...some local old guy that doesn't care about the fame or doesn't even know outfitters has a 'leaderboard', just wants to enjoy his catch in peace???

wait a minute now....is this article 'current' as in this year? Does say copyright to 2007....

Sooke Harbour contains a wealth of coves and bays that happily lend themselves to exploration by kayak or sail. But make your way into open waters, and you can see why for some fishing is a highlight of any visit here. To date, the largest salmon caught was 67 pounds; the largest halibut, 206 pounds. And there is far more to experience than fishing in these waters.

http://www.sookeharbour.com/

The plot thickens....

Maybe it was that D.C. Reid what cot that there big'n' y'all r herd 'bout? [:eek:)][:eek:)][:eek:)]

Back