Mono or Color GPS/Sounder

R

Ray

Thanks to Mr. Craven, looks like gpsdiscount will get my business. My old Lowrance unit is mono and I have never used a color gps/sounder. Is the color worth the money or is mono fine? Sure would hate to make the wrong choice, now. Anyway, I would welcome opinions.:)

Ray

Hi Ray I use a garmin 160 sounder in mono,got it at can tire in the bargin bin for 95.00 new, fitting a new boat, but i feel i sould get a sounder with a much higher pixel count ( more detail ) and one with more watts ( stronger returns), I will be in the market next year for a new one and I would go color and possibly a combo unit, been doin my homework. boiled it down to 2 brands lowrance and garmin in my price range 300. to 600. no offence to anyone, do some study on how they work and try and understand that, there are lots of websites, once i new that, everything else fell into place and now i can apply it to the real thing. and if i might say the wife and I have been doing very well over here on the island around nanoose bay, good luck--- Clay

Thanks Clay,
Yes, I've spent hours on research and have the same conclusions. Do you have any experience with the Blue Map chips for Garmin products? Looks like Garmin or Lowrance for me as well. Where is Nanoose Bay? I have much to learn about the island.
Ray

I have a lowrance lcx15-mt and have been very happy with it. When I purchased it I had to make a decision between color and monochrome. The color was quite a bit more $$ and as far as I could see then there was no real advantage. The bottom line is that you just want be able to see what depths the fish are at, the bottom contours and bottom density all of which the monochrome does just fine. Having said that I have not used the color and maybe someone could give the pros of having color over monochrome. My opinion is that it is not really needed unless you have the extra $$. I have the navionics maps and I am also very happy with them. They are highly detailed and worth every cent. Also, I have the vhf radio tied in with the gps on the sonar unit. This is for emergencies only (distress calling signal) and is a one button operation to call the coast guard giving them your coordinates so you can be rescued. Hopefully we never need to use this! There are many good units out there and choices are tough to make. Good luck

If you can swing it, go for the color...
i debated Mono/color for weeks and finally bit the bullet
it's worth it !

Ray--- Nanoose bay is between Nanaimo and Parksville, and no i havent been using any mapping software, right now i use a handheld mapping gps in one hand and a paper chart in the other, i really need to upgrade, but i use the gps for hunting as well. sooooo by the time im ready next spring, the color sounder/gps should be at a lower $$$ then they are now and if i keep putting 20 or 30 away every payday i should do ok, have that being said i would buy the best i could afford

Hi, I run a Furuno NavNet system with two 10.4 and a 6 inch. I don't think it matters on the plotter as far as color or mono goes but, color is nice for the sounder. Faster to read and from a distance also. Didn't notice much difference between a 600 and 1000W unit so I went with a 600. If my chance, you run radar also, with a 10 inch screen, you can split it and it's much easier to see. I bad fog, I run the radar,plotter and sounder all at the same time. Run Spectrum VHF with an auto fog horn and listening system. The 10 inch does take up some helm space though.

Thank you all, for your input. I've decided on color and a Garmin 178c unit. The price through gpsdiscount.com is $500. This includes insurance and shipping is free. This is the best price I've found.

Ray, that sounds like a good price, better than ebay. Did you get the dual frequency? Which antenna is better: the internal or external?

I would also like to upgrade as my fishfinder seems to do little more than provide depth, and my handheld GPS does not hold charts. Plus that 178 would probably hook up to my VHF for DFC, a great safety feature.

I haven't made the order yet. I plan to call Garmin tomorrow AM and ask that very question: internal or external antenna? I'll also find out about the VHF hook up. I'll post my findings tomorrow.

Ray

Red monster--Remember that place Ray is looking at is an American outfit and their site says they no longer ship by USPS. what that means is you have to pay an exorbitant "brokerage fee" (read ripoff) to whichever private company they use to ship with for them to ship it over the border. Look at GPScity out of Calgary or one of the other Canadian outfits instead. ($588C for a Garmin 178 with ext/antenna)
I am looking at some possibilities for a plotter/sounder: the Lowrance 337c DF, /339c/334c/. I don't quite know what the difference is between these models. Island outfitters sells the 337c df Lowrance for $1000. It's only $30 more than the Canadian prices on the gps places from Canada.
The other one that interests me is the Humminbird Matrix 97.
The jury is still out, I haven't decided yet.One factor that I haven't figured out yet is the cost of the electronic charts for island waters.
T2

I just checked with Garmin and the external antenna is recommended for any boat with a hard top or if the unit is blocked in any way by a hard cover. They said you would loose satellite reception and therefor, accuracy. The 178c does have DSC capibility, as well.
T2 is right about international orders. Shipping is $40.00 plus 2% of the value. They advertise that they ship FedEx International Air Service. The fee includes your broker fees, (usually $20.00), but not duties and taxes. Buying local or at the site recommended by T2 may be a better choice for you.

Ray

Yes, I think it would be problematic to bring a unit in from the states, T. Too much agro.

I'm interested to know how the Garmin 178 actually works for you, Ray.

Knuckles, I don't know anything about the LCX 15c. How much do they run? There are so many differnt models, I just wonder how much money you need to spend. What's the point of wasting $600 (or more) if you need to spend $1000 (or more) to get something that works?

The lcx 15c is an older model now but ran about $1800. It is also sonar/gps. Newer models available now with even more power and pixels probably gonna run ya about $2500. Don't chince out on a couple of hundred and just 'settle' for something. You may have regrets. do the research and spend the bucks.

I bought a garmin 178c gps/sounder unit last yr & put one complete season on it. Never had any other unit but I did reseach entry level combo units. It was between garmin & a Lowrance unit of comp. value. Bought garmin for price only. Super happy with it. Gps good, blue chart pricey. $200. plus change for each zone. Four required for west coast. Inside, outside Van Ilse & two for the north coast. Got to have colour for the sounder cause you read it all day long. Fish finders amazing. It don't lie. If it shows a cod on a rock shelf at 90 ft, its there!! Sounds well for fish to 200 ft. If its sounder ability is so/so then I'd hate to see a good one. For what its worth!
Brian

Thanks for the info, Knot, and welcome. :)

Knuckles, I'm hoping the prices have come down since you bought yours.[B)]

Back