moldy prawn pellets- would you use them?

RiverBoy

i usually rotate or stir my bucket of prawn pellets all winter but i kinda forgot and now i noticed i have mold growth. do the little buggers care that much?

Yes! I had one of my best haul of prawns on a cup that I forgot to dump out. The whole cup was moldy when I found it a month or so later…

If you don’t eat prawn heads then go for it. If you do then don’t. The head will taste as what you use as bait.

I wonder if this theory is the same for crabs. I use nearly rotten chicken and even sometimes turning green but works really well and surprisingly even better than fresh chicken scraps. Good thing is that i don't eat any of the guts under the shell.

Question about moldy pellets, i'd say use it unless it doesn't work. First off, I don't like wasting bait and second off, the salt water might kill all the mold :D

Just remember that black line in the meat is thier poop .. And if you eat them without cleaning the line out-- you are eating the digested remnants of thier last meal . 💩 So you not only get that--- but also the mouldy stuff they ate !!! Yummy !!!!!

I have never thrown out pellets, the used pellets go in an old pellet bucket with a tight lid. and are used multiple times sometimes. And are just as effective as new pellets.

Prawns are sorted into the live well (all the small quickly released close to the boats hull so the seagulls don't get them) and water in live well is changed a couple of times while they await their demise. I find this cleans them up as the first batch or two of water pumped out has lots of color to it, then it stays nice and clean .....i am guessing they are shiting and or puking out what they ate.

I have never thrown out pellets, the used pellets go in an old pellet bucket with a tight lid. and are used multiple times sometimes. And are just as effective as new pellets.

Prawns are sorted into the live well (all the small quickly released close to the boats hull so the seagulls don't get them) and water in live well is changed a couple of times while they await their demise. I find this cleans them up as the first batch or two of water pumped out has lots of color to it, then it stays nice and clean .....i am guessing they are shiting and or puking out what they ate.
Cycling some water for an hour definitely helps clean them out. I've never done it in the live well but that's a godd idea

Back