'Moderate livelihood' fishermen must operate during commercial season, DFO says

That will not stand up in court.
"DFO continues to dictate and impose their rules on a fishery that is outside of their scope and mandate," said Chief Gerald Toney, the assembly's fisheries lead, in a statement.

The right to a livelihood fishery isn't, and shouldn't be, driven by industry or the federal government, he said.

That will not stand up in court.
"DFO continues to dictate and impose their rules on a fishery that is outside of their scope and mandate," said Chief Gerald Toney, the assembly's fisheries lead, in a statement.

The right to a livelihood fishery isn't, and shouldn't be, driven by industry or the federal government, he said.

Does not matter on the East Coast, you take what you can get or your boat gets burned down

Does not matter on the East Coast, you take what you can get or your boat gets burned down
Well over there sporty is not even allowed to throw a trap in the water. Interesting how the DFO and Feds take completely different positions to what goes on out West. All about how to get votes i guess.

Subject: 'Moderate livelihood' fishermen must operate during commercial season, DFO says

I thought you would be interested in this story I found on MSN: 'Moderate livelihood' fishermen must operate during commercial season, DFO says http://a.msn.com/01/en-ca/BB1ebIMk?ocid=se

https://www.canada.ca/en/fisheries-...fish-in-pursuit-of-a-moderate-livelihood.html

Marshall III coming to a courthouse near you, until then 3 new shiny dfo planes burning up tax $$ taking lots of pictures..and fire depts putting out the flames

Well over there sporty is not even allowed to throw a trap in the water. Interesting how the DFO and Feds take completely different positions to what goes on out West. All about how to get votes i guess.
I don't think it's votes, more like FN back east are a few years ahead of the west coast when it comes to the autonomy they want.

Dfo is railroading them and making them play by the rules and buying commercial access to make it happen.

far from what they want

they wanted there own access with there own rules

Dfo is railroading them and making them play by the rules and buying commercial access to make it happen.

far from what they want

they wanted there own access with there own rules
I think from a legal perspective DFO does not have standing to decide rules that must be complied for a natives right to a moderate livelihood unless it is for conservation purposes. For the DFO and the Fisheries minister to say that conservation is only in effect when the commercial enterprises are not fishing is probably not supportable from a legal standpoint.
For comparison can A FN fisher only fish for Halibut or Crab or Prawn on the West Coast during Commercial season?

Back