Missing 8 Prawn Traps...ouch!

Cabezon1

Is there a prawn closure on the lower Howe Sound off Horseshoe Bay? Over the past week I lost over 8 traps around the area and couldn't figure out what is going on. Did DFO picked them up because of a prawn closure or is there something more sinister going- a prawn trap thief? I am aware of the sponge reef protection areas in the queen charlotte channel and have stayed out of these areas. My lines are definitely long enough for the depth I am trapping in as well. These traps, lead line and floats costs me alot of money and would like to know what is going. I heard others are also missing traps around the same area as well.

I don't even prawn anymore because of theft. The problem here is people pull them and dump them in a pile and don't re-bait them. If I do prawn I make a day of it. Drop the traps, go troll for winter springs, pull the traps every 3 or 4 hours and take them home at the end of the day.

Thieves and trees with root balls floating around. I've saved my traps quite a few times from a tree in Howe sound but all 8 of them. Must have been a thief

I've had mine stolen before but also have seen more than a few floaters that have been dragged by dead heads and the current

prawning is more popular than it has ever been in Howe Sound. A fast puller, and you can get some fast ones, at last night or first light and no one will see you. That's what the theives are doing.

Waterproof GPS tracker stealthy inserted into a hidden cavity on your marker buoy. Would be interesting to track the thieves to the dock and have the cops waiting.

I'd echo what Blue is saying regarding weight - we are cruisers and so have put traps down in many places along the coast - and I'm always amazed at how many traps I see bobbing along in 800' of water - not saying it's definately the case this time - but if you are just relying on the weight of the trap+the sinking line, wouldn't take much to go wandering. Plus, if the stories of all the "thefts" are true, there'd have to be a hell of a large black market for used traps! I can buy one or two scumbags pulling/emptying in a few specific areas - but seems like you hear stories of people "stealing" traps where ever you go - suspicious.
I have sinking line plus a 10# cannonball in my prawn trap and even then had it move around a bit at a couple of spots.

Based on how many traps and buoys are going missing I call BS on them floating away.

I sold all my Prawn gear...and was thinking on purchasing everything and doing it again.

If I do...I'll make sure no one else is within miles of me in unfished spots.

The thing about waiting on theives is that you have to get it right.....and they have to be stealing your traps when you are watching for them.

I used a 15# cannon ball as anchor plus 2 Bauer traps. The float wasn't even that big so I really don't see how it couldn have just floated away. Depth wise it was 400 feet of line in a 290-320 area. I mean I used the same set up for the past 4 weeks and there were no problems at at. Prior to this week I saw lots of traps in around the lower howe sound area but there were none to be seen these past couple of days. Were they all picked up DFO because of a closure that I am not aware of or were they stolen. I love prawning and will probably buy more equipments but need to figure what is going before dropping another few hundred bucks of traps into the water.

I would think it is a combination. Lots of inexperienced guy out there losing traps. Combined with theft. I bet the stolen ones are being used for poaching moreso than coming up for sale on the black market. Another thing about stolen specialty items such as these. They are stolen on a 'bespoke' basis. So they don't pop up for sale online, at pawn shops, dockside etc. A buyer 'special orders' what they want from a thief.

How big was your float, if it's small float a decent size branch could submerge it ,
maybe take a rope and grappler hook for a troll on your spot and see if you could snag it
worth a shot ..

Edit ; i would definitely go back to your spot on a super low tide , maybe it fell of a cliff
and went deep , saw a submerged one this year 5' under

Last edited:
also, assuming you had your name/number on them? if fisheries had taken them, you would get a phone call.
i've returned a couple of floaters over the years with labelled floats, although surprisingly (?!) most don't.

How big was your float, if it's small float a decent size branch could submerge it ,
maybe take a rope and grappler hook for a troll on your spot and see if you could snag it
worth a shot ..

Edit ; i would definitely go back to your spot on a super low tide , maybe it fell of a cliff
and went deep , saw a submerged one this year 5' under
Float is regular yellow color prawn trap float. I did go back a couple of times at low tides and still no luck. The frustrating thing is I am not sure if I was in the wrong thus DFO took them or someone stole them. Them being floated away or submerged by branch might be a possibility but all 4 sets? That is just crazy. BTW- I have 4 sets of traps because I prawn with a partner.

also, assuming you had your name/number on them? if fisheries had taken them, you would get a phone call.
i've returned a couple of floaters over the years with labelled floats, although surprisingly (?!) most don't.
Well it's been a few days already and still no phone calls. Keeping my fingers crossed and phone full charged.

you are really pushing the limits of your gear. 450' of rope minimum for 300+' of water and a large scotchman.

leaded rope? How much space between traps, and between traps and weight? Even if you kept them close tegether in 300' of water, your math doesn't work.

Tugs hauling barges/ log booms can scoop up a lot of traps too.
Tug crews will often find buoys, lines and traps tangled in their tow lines.
The gear can be mangled by the time it's discovered.

I personally think your traps are still there and submerged because of that 1 yellow float a small current will suck those floats under on a long angle
with 15lb of weight i think the weight wins or just bounced deeper till it found a good locked in resting place and that's what i saw few months ago
2 yellow floats tied back to back and the owner said he had 10 ball in the traps and i got snagged up on it with my prawn set ... floats were holding 5' under .

Edit : set your sounder to track and do a grid troll

Last edited:
Pretty steep along that stretch, when gear is set do you hang back and monitor float before you leave? I have saved my gear when setting on a steep ledge by doing this...

Back