Minister makes right choice on Halibut...

Sushihunter

http://www.bclocalnews.com/opinion/116702349.html

Minister makes right choice on Halibut...

By Alan S. Hale - The Northern View
Published: February 23, 2011 1:00 AM

I know that all the Shaun Thomas fans out there will be disappointed, but our illustrious editor is away so it falls to me, a lowly reporter, to write an editorial in his stead.

Last week, Ottawa finally made an attempt to put to rest the feud - and really that’s the best word for it, feud - between the commercial and recreational fishing industries over the pacific halibut quota. Ever since the issue emerged last month the two industries have been at each other’s throats.

The debate is undeniably polarized and there will be no solution that will please everybody. But attacks from one industry on another, whether it be the commercial’s privatization of a common resource or the recreational’s much less stringent oversight, are not helpful and only serve to shrink the common ground that needs to be built upon.

But for the moment, the government’s decision to introduce an experimental license to allow recreational fishermen to lease commercial quota is the right one - for now.

In the long term though, something needs to give.

The system where commercial fishers are allowed to rent out or sell their quota needs to come to an end. Period.

But to take it all away all at once could leave many retired fishers in a terrible lurch, as some fishers have invested half a million dollars just to get that quota and expected to retire on the proceeds of leasing or selling it to others.

The federal government should make it so that fishers may lease out their quota but not to sell, gift or inherit it. This way fishers from both industries can continue to lease the quota from each other as they need it and retired fishermen can recoup some of the many thousands of dollars they spent just by entering the industry.

As older fishers pass on their quota can revert back to the government who should give it to new fishermen at little or no cost, with the condition that they will not be allowed to sell or lease it. If the cost of entry into the industry is as small as possible, then the need to lease one’s quota will be diminished.

This is by no means a perfect plan, and it would take decades to complete.

But whatever method is taken, the halibut industry - perhaps all fishing industries - need to reach a point where there are no people who have quota but don’t fish it; then there will enough for everyone who will. And this needs to be achieved without destroying the lives of people who have worked hard and were expecting a comfortable retirement.

DFO’s plan is a fine temporary fix, but it’s the whole structure of the halibut fishery that is
broken.

Ok so I agree that it would be good if DFO could compensate them in return for having their quota returned to the Crown. After all it was DFO who facilitated this mess in the first place.On the other hand,if I put my entire future on the line and make a bad investment for my retirement who the frig is going to bail my butt out and give me my money back. No One,that is who! All I know for sure is that Alan S. Hale is absolutely wrong in saying that a temporary lease system was a good idea.We all know full well what will happen if even one person leases so much as a pound fro any commie quota holder.

My 2cents on this one!
Cheers ray

PS: thanks again Sushi for posting all these things!

You're absolutely right Jencourt,leasing halibut from the commercials is a terrible idea and one which could have devastating long term effects.Alan Hale is wrong to suggest this is a good temporary fix.

Ok so I agree that it would be good if DFO could compensate them in return for having their quota returned to the Crown. After all it was DFO who facilitated this mess in the first place.On the other hand,if I put my entire future on the line and make a bad investment for my retirement who the frig is going to bail my butt out and give me my money back. No One,that is who! All I know for sure is that Alan S. Hale is absolutely wrong in saying that a temporary lease system was a good idea.We all know full well what will happen if even one person leases so much as a pound fro any commie quota holder.

My 2cents on this one!
Cheers ray

PS: thanks again Sushi for posting all these things!

You are most welcome! :D

I do have a bit of an advantage, though. I have Google Alerts set up to send me news items with key words such as "Halibut", "Salmon", "Tahsis", etc. So I get about a dozen emails each day with links to these news items. A lot are not useful, such as news items about the Salmon Kings hockey team, but I usually get good items such as the one above that would easily get missed if you were trying to hunt them down on your own.

Also, I agree about the purchase of quota by sports fishermen - just does not work. Period.

However, I got a thought today that we might be able to screw with DFO on.

If we are allowed to buy, sell, and lease quota - why not sell my personal quota of 1 Halibut per day?

For those days when we don't go out fishing, why don't we sell our 1 fish to someone who is going out so they can catch 2 fish that day?

Give the person a form letter assigning them your 1 Halibut for the day of:______, 2011 and sign it.

Could make for an interesting protest fishery if the DFO fish cops get shown these forms every time they check a boat. ;)

How much time and effort would DFO and the Minister spend chasing this protest?

Ditto on the great job with the posts Sush!
And I agree that thinking outside the box is what it's going to take to formulate a solution to the halibut mess DFO has dumped upon us.

Your idea is worth discussion. We all pay for our licenses to go and fish and we are entitled to one a day, so... why not develop a 'Proxy License' for rec-fishers?
Like you suggested Sush: A simple ticket of paper with the date, your name, your tidal water lic.#, the donors tidal water license # & signature and wham-O, you got one extra fish per day.

Done!

I sure hope you guys are meaning this as a protest and not a viable plan? I am absolutely sure you are! I for one would never buy into that kind of BS as an answer to this thing.Can you imagine. Buy a 30 $ license, start marketing hard and you have an instant business. Kinda sounds sadly familiar does it not?

Back