Mid Size 7 seat SUV with a little towing

brake servicing is huge for the toyota trucks, those pads get jammed in the calipers and on the pins for the pads. If you dont service them every 4-6 months your going to wear through brakes all the time, and have huge warping issues.
I have a 2015 Tundra since new and have not had this issue. Original brakes were replaced at around 80,000 kms. Lots of up and down the mountain each year and it has towed its whole life.

My friends been a mechanic at Nissan, Honda and now Toyota, and he says he cannot believe how much better Toyota's are built than any other vehicle he's worked on. He used to be a Nissan snob and he says there's no comparison. He says certain parts he used to commonly replaced on Nissan's are never touched on the Toyota's.

We have had both a FourRunner and the Lexus GX470 (mid size SUV) and hands down, they were both the best and most reliable vehicles we have ever owned. I think the GX470 may be the nicest driving vehicle I've ever owned. I would buy another Toyota product in a heartbeat.

The previous generation 4runners were notorious for the inboard clapper piston seizing. The newer ones don't seem to have that issue but toyota will still book you for a caliper service that's nothing more than lube up the sliders.

Our 2016 has great brakes and its no big deal to do the pads and rotors, although I fought the rear ebrake retainer like crazy. Its around 700 for front and rear pads and rotors from Toyota plus my time to install. Other than that we have had zero issues with this truck. We owned a 2005 before this one with the v8 for 10 years and had no issues with that other than the seized calipers. Also had a 99 before that, no real issues.

The 2016 Ltd has full time fwd and averages around 15l per 100 kms so ya its not super easy on fuel but thats probably 75% city driving. But it drives very well and no complaints about the transmission hunting for top gear like the tacoma guys seem to have. These things hold their value very well and I feel our family is super safe in it. As long as Toyota doesn't totally mess up the next generation 4runner I suspect we will have one of those not long after intro. There's talk of a 6 cylinder turbo which could be interesting if they use the supra / bmw power im gonna be an early adopter haha

My Toyota Highlander was written off this summer (guy crashed into it and a couple other cars at the marina) and I ended up with a 2018 Honda Pilot. It's bigger than the Highlander but still fits in the garage. 5000lbs towing.

The previous generation 4runners were notorious for the inboard clapper piston seizing. The newer ones don't seem to have that issue but toyota will still book you for a caliper service that's nothing more than lube up the sliders.

Our 2016 has great brakes and its no big deal to do the pads and rotors, although I fought the rear ebrake retainer like crazy. Its around 700 for front and rear pads and rotors from Toyota plus my time to install. Other than that we have had zero issues with this truck. We owned a 2005 before this one with the v8 for 10 years and had no issues with that other than the seized calipers. Also had a 99 before that, no real issues.

The 2016 Ltd has full time fwd and averages around 15l per 100 kms so ya its not super easy on fuel but thats probably 75% city driving. But it drives very well and no complaints about the transmission hunting for top gear like the tacoma guys seem to have. These things hold their value very well and I feel our family is super safe in it. As long as Toyota doesn't totally mess up the next generation 4runner I suspect we will have one of those not long after intro. There's talk of a 6 cylinder turbo which could be interesting if they use the supra / bmw power im gonna be an early adopter haha
My 2012 ram 3500 Cummins gets better mileage then that.... 15l/100km is when I’m all city. I go below 12l/100km when on the highway. There’s something to be said about having a truck that can haul whatever you want, and having a little gas pot for running around town.

My 2012 ram 3500 Cummins gets better mileage then that.... 15l/100km is when I’m all city. I go below 12l/100km when on the highway. There’s something to be said about having a truck that can haul whatever you want, and having a little gas pot for running around town.

Thanks guys, already have a F350 for hauling the boat/camper and a couple yards of soil and in-laws have the Tundra. I'll add the GX470 to my list.

We have a 2012 4 runner . We’ve had it for 7 years and 120000kms. The only thing I’ve done is services and brake pads. We paid 32k and it’s likely worth 25k still.
. I’m not sure what a 8 year old domestic suv with 145000kms is worth but I doubt anything holds its value better than a 4 runner.

Interesting . What do you mean service them? Change pads or service the calipers? I have a 99 runner and definitely have warping issues . Just change rotors and pads when I do the brakes and it’s time for a new brake job too.

Sorry to derail thread ..

@Jon @MadJigga , no need for replacement of parts unless worn out or heavily uneven wear is found IMO, remove the pins and pads from the calipers, take a small steel bristle brush and scrub all the crap that builds up inside the caliper area where the pads are seated, then I always replace the pins and springs for the pads as the hardware is CHEAP and then make sure you use a good brake lube. I use Raybestos silicone brake lube its clear and priced well from lordco, make sure to apply to all contact areas that you cleaned and the pins and even the pistons on the fixed calipers so then those pads dont get stuck to them.

I have a 2015 Tundra since new and have not had this issue. Original brakes were replaced at around 80,000 kms. Lots of up and down the mountain each year and it has towed its whole life.

nice well your one of the select few! thats good to hear, in the 15+ years of being an auto technician ive done my fair share of toyota brakes lol and brake servicing has only made things better in the long run!

Can't go wrong with a Toyota.We just sold our 2015 Highlander and replaced it with the 2020 model.
They can tow (supposedly) 5000 lbs.
It”ll boil down to personal preference but we preferred the Highlander over the 4Runner because it was a far smoother and more comfortable ride.
Guess it will depend on what you are looking for but both are very reliable.

Can't go wrong with a Toyota.We just sold our 2015 Highlander and replaced it with the 2020 model.
They can tow (supposedly) 5000 lbs.
It”ll boil down to personal preference but we preferred the Highlander over the 4Runner because it was a far smoother and more comfortable ride.
Guess it will depend on what you are looking for but both are very reliable.
Pennel, why the upgrade? Debating between used and new, it looks like 20-25% savings to buy a highlander used but I haven't done an exact calculation.

Don't overlook the Santa Fe XL. You can pick up a 2-3 year old one for low 20's with warrantee. Much better value than Toyota IMHO.

Pennel, why the upgrade? Debating between used and new, it looks like 20-25% savings to buy a highlander used but I haven't done an exact calculation.
No logical or economic reason other than the fact that I like a new car once in a while.
I couldn’t fault the car.Infact,the guy who bought it was a car mechanic and he snapped it up without haggling.

Highlander
Pathfinder
4Runner

Top vehicles in their class

Also NEVER under estimate Subaru. Hell of a vehicle. 2017/18 Outback....

Equinox/Terrain also deserve a mention

I lease quite a few Pathfinders across Canada (well to the Ontario eastern boarder), they seem to like doing fleet business.

Interesting thread as I am thinking about the wife's vehicle as well. What about the Ford Explorer in hybrid? Supposed to be able to tow 5000lbs as well. Not yet in the market but starting to think about it. As well, Toyota has a hybrid, I think the Highlander has a hybrid that is good for 5000lbs of towing. I want to show up at one of the dealers with my boat and go for a test drive towing the boat around. Now that's a testy drive.:)

Interesting thread as I am thinking about the wife's vehicle as well. What about the Ford Explorer in hybrid? Supposed to be able to tow 5000lbs as well. Not yet in the market but starting to think about it. As well, Toyota has a hybrid, I think the Highlander has a hybrid that is good for 5000lbs of towing. I want to show up at one of the dealers with my boat and go for a test drive towing the boat around. Now that's a testy drive.:)
that is how i used to test ski boats, wet suit and water ski in hand

Last edited:
Back