Mercury's New 350 Horse Verado..

As Nedarb2 said, the Yamaha 350 is designed for pushing heavy boats, where as the Verado is aimed to lighter faster boats. Yamaha has room to add more power to the 350, whereas Mercury will likely be introducing a different powerhead for 350 and up in the future. I have heard that the newer verados are very good engines. I have been a big yamaha fan, but depending on the HP, I would flip back and forth on which I would power with. For example, I would buy a Verado 225 before I would buy a Yamaha 225, but I would probably go with the Yamaha 250 before the verado 250. There are many differences on each of the platforms.

Vince914, Mercury only resold 4-stroke Yamahas for a couple of years in the early 2000s, until they were able to put out their own design.

Cheers.

Verado 200-300 are exactly the same motor the only diff is the program on the computer, I dont think any one should be scared of a super charger they are not the least bit complicated,I know that before yamaha made themerc four strokes 225 merc is exactly the same as 225 yam

quote:Originally posted by Little Hawk

Howdy,

Back in 82' when I was an apprentice marine mechanic, Yamaha was the
largest marine engine manufacturer on the planet. It's likely that hasn't changed.

Oh, by the way guy's - sterndrives rule!

Chees,
Terry

Yamaha are big in the pacific northwest, but Mercury is by far the biggest south of the border.
They are standard issue on almost all boats manufactured in the U.S.

Ford chevy,dodge!!!!! Merc,yammy, suz, e-tec.

Lets face this day with All the Technology with these motors it really comes down to personal preferance and the money you can save by getting a good deal,
If there are 2 motors for sale side by side and same year,hp etc and one is 3 grand cheaper I know which one I would buy!!!!!

By the way optimax all the way ;);)LOL

Wolf

One of the biggest factors for me buying a new engine is not only speed which I really get a kick out of going fast,but noise by the end of the day I think its the noise of my boat makes me tired

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Yamaha are big in the pacific northwest, but Mercury is by far the biggest south of the border.

Merc's parent company Brunswick Marine owns some 50 boat brands including Abermarle, Bayliner, Boston Whaler, Crestliner, Lowe, Lund, Maxum, Seapro, Searay, and Trophy. Many of their boats are sold as packages and include Mercury power. Nothing like freedom of choice. It would be interesting to see the percentage of Mercs on non-Brunswick boats. Seems to me that a lot of Grady's have Yamies on the back.

quote:Originally posted by SeaWolf

quote:Originally posted by r.s craven

Merc's parent company Brunswick Marine owns some 50 boat brands including Abermarle, Bayliner, Boston Whaler, Crestliner, Lowe, Lund, Maxum, Seapro, Searay, and Trophy. Many of their boats are sold as packages and include Mercury power. Nothing like freedom of choice. It would be interesting to see the percentage of Mercs on non-Brunswick boats. Seems to me that a lot of Grady's have Yamies on the back.

Yep, it seems that Grady's DO have Yammies on the back of them. That's because GRADY has an exclusive contract with Yammies for FACTORY DIRECT shipments. On the east coast though MERCS are on the back of every tournament fish boat. Once they get up to 500 hours the used Grady Whites seem have lost a lot of value--it's not the boat that is losing the value......wonder why that is? TICK, TICK, TICK, BOOOOOOOM!

When it comes to 2 strokes, Mercs kick Yammies A$$.

At any rate, if REGGIE FOUNTAIN is powering his boats with Mercs.....those Mercs better be able to take a serious $HIT kicking because thats what FOUNTAIN owners DO to their boats.

I think Yamaha has done a great job of picking up the leftover market share from Mercury Marine's arrogance on the West Coast because the MONEY is on the EAST COAST of the continent. On the west coast, Yammies may have a large market share, but something about a Yammy just doesn't seem right on a few of the boats I have been on...never mind Merc this and Yammy that, ETEC this, ETEC that, Suzuki this and Suzuki that..

Let's see what these Yammies are like with 2000-4000 hours on them, then we'll know. Because that's what it's about. Crankshafts, Piston Pins, Con Rods, Head Gaskets etc etc etc However, if someone wants to get me a 30 to 33 foot Grady with a couple of 350's on the back for me to test this out let me know!

In my opinion, if the Europeans are designing a VERADO with Porsche Engineers behind the design etc, there's not too many things that are going to stand in their way of taking a serious run at embarassing Yamahas..

No way...Yamaha is a great motor.
Ya...most motors up here won't have huge hours on them yet because our seasons are typically short and the hours just don't add up.
I know guy's in Mexico that have massive hours 8000 plus on the large 4 strokes and they swear by them.
I can't say that about the Verado's...only thing I can say is the guy next to me has them and he hasn't got great things to say!

FYI:

In the US Suzuki well recieved and has a huge part of the market and is quickly gaining market share in Canada alot to do with exceptance and price.

The reason Yami is so well recieved every where is it is one of the most common engines to be able to find someone to work on no matter where you are but also the most expensive.

Merc still fairly new in the big horse power 4 stroke game so only time will tell.

Facts:

26' Aluminum Boat 7500lbs boat

*Yami 250 5000 rpms 12 gallons per hour @ 28 knots
WOT 34 Knots @ 19 gallons per hour

*Yami 350 3400 rpms 12 gallons per hour @ 28 knots
WOT 42 Knots @ 30 gallons per hour

22' Aluminum Boat 6000lbs

*Merc Verado 225 Quietest of all Motors even @ WOT to date but very thirsty when you open it up however at 31 knots 13 gallons per hour @ 3900 rps. 33 gallons per hour @ wide open throttle @ 44 knots

These are real stats on real boats in real conditions.

Cheers ME

ps Suzuki Stats Posted Tommorow!!!!!

Farny

Go to Evinrudes web site and ask them for a free CD of the Etec just for something to do :)
its free [:p]

Look at the DVD they send you now keeping in mind that they are trying to sell their own
its still crazy to see what that motor can do for a 2stroke and how quiet it is

Early years optimax had their problems too

Obviously Yamaha will have their back up against the wall and will come out with some new motor to rival the Verado time will tell

I have spoke with a Merc mechanic before buying a motor and for out board he said to go Yamaha
glad I did I love it she quiet and runs smooth so far [^]

Back