Mercury's New 350 Horse Verado..

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

I'll bet it's faster, let's see what's faster after 1000 hours. I know three guys who dumped Verado for Yami. A difference of 160 pounds on the transom is nothing on a big boat.

Yep, you're certainly right about guys dumping the Verados..but I think Merc has their sh*t together now from when they first started.

If Merc moves their block up to 4.0 litres with a supercharger I think the Yammies may as well fold up production of the 350.

Thing is though, boat builders are locked into long term contracts so there's no real way to see who's who in the world of outboards as market shares are based on contracts. Who wants to go how long and for how little? Or who wants to go how low for what boat manufacturer?

Interesting scenario.

I had a 250 verado theres nothin that thing could smoke.Worst motor i ever owned.My 225 opti pushed the bost 47mph 250verado 36mph.i now have twin 200 yamis that are better on gas than one 250verado.

quote:Originally posted by bananas

I had a 250 verado theres nothin that thing could smoke.Worst motor i ever owned.My 225 opti pushed the bost 47mph 250verado 36mph.i now have twin 200 yamis that are better on gas than one 250verado.

That was then, this is now. Verados were crap when they were first out. Now, I think it's a different story.

Time will tell.

Time here, and I won't tell.

But I also don't want to hear complaints about gas prices from anybody running one of these thirsty hogs.

Time out, for another Lucky.

I have a 22ft center console with a merc 150 saltwater series on it I have lined up a used 250 verado 2007 , i HAD HEARD GOOD THINGS ABOUT them , I had a lone on a 225 four stroke merc which is a yamaha ,I want a four stroke, the boat goes 43 with the 150 I hope that verado isnt really a dog

Or a guy could do it rite and get an E-Tec..

If its weight you are worried about the 300 E-Tec comes in at 528# while the 350 Yammy at 822# and the 300 Verado in at 635# cant find the weight of the 350 but it will be a behemoth..

If the 300 E-Tec is anything like my 175 E-Tec none of these engines will touch it,, no bull.. On a similar weight and configured boat I have eaten both 250 Hondas and 200 Mercs and not even close.. I am not pulling anybody's leg here..

E-TEC all the way....

Tested a 350 Yamaha on a 26 Northwest on Thursday,48 mph top speed, 32mph at 3600 rpm, tons of midrange power, weight no issue.

quote:Originally posted by powder

Tested a 350 Yamaha on a 26 Northwest on Thursday,48 mph top speed, 32mph at 3600 rpm, tons of midrange power, weight no issue.

What's a Northwest?

the 350 is made for large boats (30' +) and is to replace triples with twins. It is designed for torque not top end.
The verado was released atleast a month ago at the miami boat show; i havnt heard anything about it yet in the real world, but i know its suppose to be a new design under the hood (and the cowlings and air-intake look very nice too [8D])

I was out with a guide who just bought the engine and had it installed and sea tested by Sherwood Marine. The boat is on its way to Sandspit for the season, Continental Fishing Charters.

Mortician Yamaha makes mercs 4stroke blocks

now think of it this way if Yamaha owns over 33% of the west coast market that must say a lot since there are a tonne of companies out the like Evinrude, Suzuki, Honda, Mecury, Johnson
I think the only other motor right now that even comes close is Suzuki
Merc Verados were rated the number PIG on fuel only thing worse is my truck you dont think a super charged motor isnt goign to suck gas like a fat kid on a smartie :D Once those superchargers spool up its going to be nasty

There must be a reason why 90% of the west coast boats are either Yammie:)[:p] or Suzuki

Howdy,

Back in 82' when I was an apprentice marine mechanic, Yamaha was the
largest marine engine manufacturer on the planet. It's likely that hasn't changed.

Oh, by the way guy's - sterndrives rule!

Chees,
Terry

Back