Mercury 115hp command thrust opinions

Fishin

After lots of research I’ve decided to replace my current 2004 Yamaha 115hp with a brand new 2022 115hp mercury command thrust wondering if anyone has any real experience or opinions on them? I’ve read good things about them hoping it was the right decision. Thanks.

The larger prop series they use from the 150 V6 motor on the command thrust version lifts the stern a lot more when taking off, planes the boat easier, holds it on plane better as well. I think you loose a few top end rpms versus the non CT version, although not sure.

You basically paying for a v6 gearcase with a ratio compatible for that hp. The 25inch 115 class has the same case as a standard.

You basically paying for a v6 gearcase with a ratio compatible for that hp. The 25inch 115 class has the same case as a standard.
I’m wondering more about the motor itself in terms of reliability, im planning on going to some remote spots i know all brands of motors have their issues here and there just curious if there’s any big known issues or how other people have made out long term. It’s a massive financial decision for me so hoping I made the right call lol definitely not easy finding an outboard these days.

I'm sure their fine. However don't ask my opinion. I use mercs as prawn actors lol. I've been pushing the tohatsu brand for a while now. As a dealer I'm super impressed by their support and products. I would run a tohatsu all day long. They are building nice engines with the best customer support I've seen.

I'm sure their fine. However don't ask my opinion. I use mercs as prawn actors lol. I've been pushing the tohatsu brand for a while now. As a dealer I'm super impressed by their support and products. I would run a tohatsu all day long. They are building nice engines with the best customer support I've seen.
Fair enough, I’ve run most brands but all older models this is my first new outboard purchase ever. It was really my only option due to most places being out of inventory, im sure my 17’ hourstons going to be a rocket ship haha

I have 2 of them on the back of my boat. 1 year old now and about 80 hours on them. I had a few problems initially with a misfire on one of them, and a leaky trim cylinder on the other. Once those issues got sorted they've been good but I was not at all impressed with Mercury's customer service and especially unimpressed with the customer service of the dealer that I brought them to for warranty repair. I ended up sorting both problems out myself, and got ripped off by the dealer for the attempted warranty repair that mercury wouldn't cover since they didn't actually fix the problem.

I am happy with them since though.

I have heard good things abut Ina marine, but haven't tried them yet. That's who I would try in the Victoria area.

Attachments

• 20210424_112013.jpg
    20210424_112013.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 66
I have 2 of them on the back of my boat. 1 year old now and about 80 hours on them. I had a few problems initially with a misfire on one of them, and a leaky trim cylinder on the other. Once those issues got sorted they've been good but I was not at all impressed with Mercury's customer service and especially unimpressed with the customer service of the dealer that I brought them to for warranty repair. I ended up sorting both problems out myself, and got ripped off by the dealer for the attempted warranty repair that mercury wouldn't cover since they didn't actually fix the problem.

I am happy with them since though.

I have heard good things abut Ina marine, but haven't tried them yet. That's who I would try in the Victoria area.
Beautiful boat, can you pm if you don’t feel comfortable sharing the dealers name? Im
Going through APM in port Alberni but I live in Victoria ina marine didn’t have any in stock.

After lots of research I’ve decided to replace my current 2004 Yamaha 115hp with a brand new 2022 115hp mercury command thrust wondering if anyone has any real experience or opinions on them? I’ve read good things about them hoping it was the right decision. Thanks.
You’ll like it. Very nice having the larger lower end and prop. Holeshot(especially with heavy loads) and holding plane at lower speeds will increase. As @Aquaholic said you’ve got the lower leg and prop of a 150 essentially.

I bought the same motor last year in Port Alberni. Love it so far but only 10 hours on it. Brad at APM is a great guy to deal with. I'm sure that any servicing I require through them will be top notch.

i used to have command thrust on my old boat and hated it. made it too heavy and introduced too much lugging.
i would suggest a new f115lb yammy instead. plus the new yammys have nmea2000 buses built in from the factory you can extend into your nmea2k network or build a new one. all your rigging will also be compatible so you save $$$ and keep your boat weight down.

i used to have command thrust on my old boat and hated it. made it too heavy and introduced too much lugging.
i would suggest a new f115lb yammy instead. plus the new yammys have nmea2000 buses built in from the factory you can extend into your nmea2k network or build a new one. all your rigging will also be compatible so you save $$$ and keep your boat weight down.
Haven’t had the greatest experience with my last few Yamahas and the dealer support is lacking where I am, the mercury is actually lighter than my current Yamaha 115. But ill Keep it in mind, I want all new rigging anyway so either way it was all getting replaced I’m redoing the entire boat. Also there’s no availability of Yamahas in my area I called around to the shops near me and they told me next year sometime.

Last edited:
Back