Mercruiser 350 leaking water

GDW

Any thoughts on what this device is? I believe its in line on a water hose and I believe it or the hose itself is spewing water that the engine is circulating. We can see water pouring everywhere when the engine is running and when its off if I squeeze the hose more water comes out. Can't see the exact leak of course its on the back side.

This is in my father in laws lake boat. We suspect its the result of poor winterization but don't know for certain.

If this area is leaking water due to freezing are we likely to find other areas?
5ubymu9a.jpg
9abyruva.jpg

was the boat winterized? if so, maybe just the hose clamps need to be tightened. or the hose is split and needs replacing. is that hose on the exhaust riser? if it wasn't winterized check your oil and make sure it isn't cloudy. if it is you may have a cracked block. hopefully it's just something minor. may want to get an extendable telescoping mirror and check out the backside...

It sounded like it got cold and then he thought oh I better go pull the plugs out of the block and put a heater in. So properly winterized? Didn't sound like it.

I'm not familiar with inboards at all so I'm not sure what the hose is called /for its the thick rubber one with the plastic 'ball' in line. Like I posted when its running water pisses out of that general area and the water is hot to the touch. When the motor is off I can squeeze the hose and more water ones out I couldn't tell where the hose comes from or is going to though.

Good tip about the mirror.

Hard to see exactly what's leaking by the photo -- but if it's the large rubber hose on the right side of the photo -- that's the outlet hose from your exhaust. It's where the exhaust gas and hot cooling water mix after passing through the riser and then exit the boat via the leg. When the boat is not running, and the boat is out of the water, there is generally no water in this hose so probably unlikely it froze.

I've run into this leak on mine -- it was a simple fix -- just tighten the clamps. The leak won't harm the engine block (aside from salt water getting on your starter), however, it can sink your boat so you'd better take a look.

It is the check valve I believe the water is coming from. you might be looking at a different hose tenmile. IMRINC is this a semi common problem? I'm on the island I should probably order it locally but appreciate any insight you can offer on replacing that part. Looks like two clamps and a quick swap?

Thankfully this is a lake boat so no salt water has been sprayed all over the engine.

If it doesn't get drained properly in the fall it is a common problem. Only a few years/models use that style valve so that one isn't very common although i have sold a couple in the last few months.

The one I have had issues with is the huge rubber exhaust boot in the right of the photo with the 4 c-clamps. Clamps worked themselves loose. But sounds like you found your issue.

Back