MedA3 Course

SerengetiGuide

Hi Everyone, just curious as to if any of you know when the next available medA3 course is on Vancouver Island, where abouts it's taking place, and how much? I'm pretty sure I read $385, but just wanna double check that. Plus next restricted radio operators course as well. Thanks guys,

David

did my med a-3 at quicnav in vancouver granville island this spring for just over $100, are you sure you aren't talking about the combo svop + the med a-3 for that kind of money?
cheers ferret

It is Med A3 that is needed if I'm not mistaken? Med A2 is equivalent?? Plus PCOC and Restricted Radio Operators License?

Best to call TC as they change there minds often. I did the A2 to avoid having to do it twice when the three becomes obsolete! Depends who you talk to and what day you catch Borris on...

Marine Emergency Duties MED A3: Small Non-pleasure Craft
The shortest of the MED courses, the 1.5 day MED A3 course is taught in the classroom only. Designed for crew members on fishing vessels operating not more than 20 miles offshore, and for crewmembers on passenger vessels with un-berthed accommodation only (not including BC ferries), operating on minor waters. Where possible, we recommend students take the more advanced MED A1 or MED A2 which include practical, hands-on sessions. Check with your Transport Canada Office to ensure your training will meet your operational needs!

Covering both MED A1 and MED A2, this 4-day Transport Canada approved course is designed to provide skippers of smaller commercial vessels and other seafarers with various safety related skills associated with small commercial boat operation and ensuring the safety of passengers. You will increase your knowledge of hazards associated with the marine environment, develop skills to assist passengers to survive an emergency, and learn to maintain safety equipment and keep safety records. Casual dress required for pool and firefighting exercises will be discussed at the first class. Students will receive a Transport Canada certificate.

Thanks for the clarification Tailspin. I'll definitely give a call....as of now we are both enrolled in a MedA3 and i know many guides who have the A3 and not the A2...so i'm assuming it is good to go. Any first aid needed? Thanks

Talked to TC in Ottawa (as I work at Parliament so it wasn't too far away) today...MED A3 is still good to go. And from the sounds of it, it will be for awhile. I also have the commercial regs booklet, and half the booklet seems to go by length, and the other half by weight. Do you guys know which is used for actually guidelines? As our Pursuit is over 8m, yet under 5 tonnes....so it's kinda a confusing situation there. Thanks again,

David

Last Chance, couldn't agree with you more! I had to take the Med A3,SVOP course if I wanted to go guiding this past season. It just so happened I took it exactly the same time I was about to write the final exam for the basic power squadron course.
I had taken the basic power squadron course in '82 but I took it as a refresher with my 2 teenage boys just to do a little father/son bonding and to refresh my knowledge as well.
That MED A3, SVOP which I paid $318.00 for to Quicknav as well (ferret) back in April was, quite honestly a joke. If the goverment wanted to force some regulations they should force everyone to take a basic power squadron course. The Med A3 SVOP was the most basic of basic boating courses.
I paid $195.00 for myself and $125.00 each for my two boys for the power squadron course. Best money spent for boating knowledge.
Typical government regulations. They couldn't organize a 2 house paper route if they tried.

Back