MECHANICS CORNER?

Little Hawk

Howdy,

This has probably been raised before but I'm going to put it out there anywho...

I think it would be awesome to have an SFBC forum dedicated solely to posting service/repair/maintenance questions for outboards & I/O's.

I know there are some post's on this topic in the 'Boats/Motors/Towing...' forum, but my vote would be for a forum specifically/solely for all us DIY backyard mechanics who need help/advice from someone who's been-there-done-that.

As there are many 'champions' of fishing advice on SFBC, maybe a few fishing-mechanics' in the trade might be encouraged to lurk here and help a brother out with a problem and save a buck or two.

So... what'd ya think? Good idea? Kelly? Wolf? Anybody...?

"Some could care less if there's any fish left for our kids!"

the prob I find on this site is that when someone asks for advice, and Im sure people mean well, half the advice given is totally out to lunch. For example.. one person says to use synthetic oil and another says not to. So what does a guy do? In some applicanions, using synthetic oil will cause problems.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

Free advice is not always good advice. If your completely non-mechanically inclined get more than one opinion.

I agree with what is said but on the other hand some good information does get through and the the wise ones stand out very quickly and the good does make it through. I would hate to miss some of the good advice that is passed through site.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

I agree with all of you but I did say (suggest) "...fishing mechanics in the trade.." and by that I meant people offering advice that are more so qualified to do so. That said, sometimes everyday Joe's like me who've done a particular bit/piece of service/maintenance work on a particular engine - like the carb overhaul & impeller replacement I'm presently doing on my 9.9 Power Thrust - are also able to offer useful advise from time to time. After 2 separate 'mechanics' (one rebuilding the carb - the other dealing with the overheating issue) failed to rectify my problems, I decided ****-on-it, and did the job myself. Three things happened: 1) the problems were finally solved. 2) I actually learned something about my engine. 3) I saved a whack of $$$$!

I'm sure there's a few working-mechanics amongst us who are more than qualified and willing to offer advice on an ongoing basis.
I used to frequent the iboats.com forum and there was a guy on there named Don (who now lives in Seattle I think) who was an unbelievably helpful guy who also happens to be one of the best I/O mechanics on the entire Pacific coast. He's helped a million people like you and me over the years.

Think about it: You have an issue with your motor or drive and you want quick advice on say, whether or not you need special-tools to do a particular job, or, if the job is even something you should be tackling on your own in the first place. Or maybe it is something you could do in your yard but there's a couple of cautionary pointers to be shared first.

If we put it out there that we need some mechanics throughout the Province to jump on board this, I'll bet there's a few who'd bite. They could even remain anonymous.

quote:If we put it out there that we need some mechanics throughout the Province to jump on board this, I'll bet there's a few who'd bite. They could even remain anonymous.
Some already do when they have time and anyone can post anonymously, my real name isn't Dogbreath as many here know. [:eek:)]

Plus what benefit accrues to a mechanic posting here anonymously if he doesn't already?

You're talking about fixing something that's not broken what's wrong with things the way they are now?

billreidsalmon.jpg

I think attaching a tech forum to this site really isn`t necessary because there are already sites out there that specialize in that very thing. You mentioned iboat.com as one you had frequented. Personally, I read every post , every day on the forum pertaining to mercruiser I/O`s at
http://www.marineengine.com/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi and have learned a lot about my particular setup.

"Plus what benefit accrues to a mechanic posting here anonymously if he doesn't already?"

"You're talking about fixing something that's not broken what's wrong with things the way they are now?"

Some people find great benefit in helping others. I'm not suggesting we change-the-world here and I know there are other places out there in cyber-land where you can chat about engines and stuff. I just happen to like SFBC (a lot) and thought a 'Mechanics Corner' type idea might make it a little more comprehensive, that's all.

Hear ya LH. There are a few mech on here all the time, there are also many wanna be's giving crappy advise on a reg basis, unfortunately this shuts up a lot of the good advice.(here's why). A lot of time's them what no what there talking about don't want the rediculas arguments that sure as chit follow contradicting someone's bad advice so nothing is said.(only speaking for myself)I usually just shake my head and continue on. I've been in the trade since 1984 I became a journeyman inboard/outboard mech in 1988. I've been certified in pretty much every make at one time or another. For 26years iv'e fixed this crap 8hrs a day 5 days a week, most of the time I just can't be bothered with the petty bullchit that go's on here. If Im not shure about something I say nothing. If others would do the same people looking for good advice would probably get it.

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

I still stand with what I said Gf. When you think you know everything someone busts your bubble.
If salt crystalizes at 190 deg why don,t you wind up with a pot full of salt when you are cooking crabs or shrimp in saltwater at 212deg?:D

IMG_1445.jpg

Now that I have said what I had to say, Gf you seem to make a point of shooting the messenger when a correction would suffice. To say that I have no knowledge whatsoever is really out to lunch.
40 years ago I was working on marine engines and dropped out due to at the time a lack of certification and pay.I have always been on the edge watching and ... learning still. So when I encounter an attitude as you have shown me I consider that a dead end for learning and I move my ear to a more friendly mentor. I do not pretend to know all and am very open to corrections.This a web site that should be friendly not abrasive to members such as you have shown. Keep up that direction of thinking and you will wind up in a corner by yourself.

IMG_1445.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Gunsmith

I still stand with what I said Gf. When you think you know everything someone busts your bubble.
If salt crystalizes at 190 deg why don,t you wind up with a pot full of salt when you are cooking crabs or shrimp in saltwater at 212deg?:D

IMG_1445.jpg

Well, mainly because there isn't a bucket of salt in a bucket of salt water. Try boiling off all the water after the crabs are done and see how much salt remains in the pot.

This is straight from mercruiser. The Mercruiser heat exchanger system allows a higher operating temperature for the engine. In the standard system, the operating temperature ranges from 143 to 175 degrees fahrenheit; but closed system in the Mercruiser heat exchanger can handle operating temperatures of 160 to 195 degrees fahrenheit. This is an increase of nearly 12 percent in operating efficiency.
My point is that specs are continuously changing and we are never sure of anything unless you look it up and get it straight from the manufacturer.
I can come up with a long formula on salt "precipitation" but the fact is the cooling systems are enclosed and should not be boiling off the water, if it is you will have a problem. The higher the pressure the higher the boiling point.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

G-F'n: Good on ya for hanging in there and finishing your apprenticeship. I started into the trade in the summer of 81' working at Mosquito Creek Marina in North Van (mostly power-washing & painting boat bottoms) but did manage to get indentured as well as layed-off in the fall. I did really well in my first term schooling out at PVI in Maple Ridge that winter but couldn't find work the following spring anywhere in the lower mainland. Short version: I bagged a job at Van Isle Marina and though it only lasted 2-weeks, it did bring my wife and I to the Island to live and that was a most positive change in both our lives. Sadly, the recession of 82' soon bounced me from the trade.

Way to go GF, i know what you are saying. Been in the trade for a long time now and hate reading some of the info that some of these backyard know it alls are giving out. People dont see that if your car breaks down you can get out and walk, but if your boat breaks down you better be a very good paddler

Done. lol

IMG_1445.jpg

Whats your problem gunsmith!!! Sounds like your mad because I corrected your statement that any boat engine cooling system should run at about 195deg????? If I recall correctly that guy was running a raw water cooled engine. I think you nead to take a look at the bigger picture sir. I'm done with this discussion, don't expect any more responses from me on this subject.

I'm setting my priorities. I'm making time for fishing.

Not really it was your approach. I don't consider myself a know it all and I don't mind being corrected. Your being more experienced in the mattter should be correcting me without killing me. I tend to find info from manufacturer's data and even that is not always correct.Let us bury the hatchet and remember that people looking for advice are getting only that,:Dtheir decision is final.

IMG_1445.jpg

My nose was out of joint not mad or angry.[8D]

Back