McKinsey & Company on fisheries sustainability

I find it a bit strange that this article points out that - "In 2011, commercial fishers harvested 802,074 metric tons of fish and shellfish from the Gulf, and recreational fishers another 34,358 tons" or approximately 4% of the overal catch and THEN goes on to discuss how better managing recreational fisheries can aid sustainability. They also discuss a cherry picked example - the red snapper fishery - to make their point. Finally, they discuss at great length how recreational returns of dead fish are not counted in the estimated recreation catch. I don't understand that at all as at least in WA state, the mortality of release fish IS counted in out catch and I assume that fisheries managers would do so elsewhere as well. To me this article reads like an industry sponsored hatchet job designed to deflect attention away from the industry that catches 96% of the total harvest.

Although the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council (GMFMC) allocates 49% of the Total Allowable Catch (TAC) to recreational fishers...

Now, if we can only get the Fed to wake-up to this way of thinking!

Back