Masterbuilt Smoker

Big Green Machine

http://www.masterbuilt.com/prod-smokers-digital.html

I just picked this smoker up at Costco for 279.00. It uses regular chips, no pucks like you buy for the Bradley. Pretty good deal, will let you know after the fish is ready how she performs. I have my Osoyoos Lake Sockeye in the brine now.

I was thinking of trying a cold smoke on a few of the pieces as opposed to the 4-6 hour 120-140 F hot smoke. Anyone try this? Whats it like?

Hey BGM: That is one slick unit.:) I love the side loader for chips and many other good ideas with that unit. Do they make a bigger capacity model? Quite the piece of work there.;) eman

Remote controlled!!! You don't even have to get out of your chair........well maybe to get another beer lol. Looks like a sweet unit BGM. Let us know how it works:).

Cheers,
John

Thank guys, I just don't like the idea of having to pay for Bradley pucks when wood chips work well and are so inexpensive.

Trying out a new, milder brine (less salt and soy) this time too and leaving it soak for 2 days so the smoking time will be less. I never understood why people use a brine that over powers the taste of the fish. This is what I'm trying, I heat up the ingredients to meld them together.

3 cups h20
2 cups brown sugar
½ cup Kosher salt
½ tsp pepper
½ tsp powdered cloves
½ tsp cayenne pepper
½ tsp garlic
1 cap liquid smoke (optional)
¼ tsp thyme
1 lemon squeezed
1 tbs tabassco
1 tbs soy
1 cup regular sugar
2 tbsp maple extract
1 tbsp vanilla
1 tbsp red food color (optional if smoking a white spring)

I gotta have one of those!!!
Dave

The fish turned out really well, and the unit was easy to clean. I would recommend that you leave the damper on top half open to let some of the moisture escape. You get about two hours 140-160 with a full pan of chips which is nice because you can do your fish in three cycles and the timer will shut the unit down after each cycle. So, if you're not home, no worries, you just start a new cycle when you get home and your smoker burner has not been burning without chips. I didn't bother using water in the water pan as the fish was not completely dry before smoking. Next time, I will make sure the fish is completely dry before it goes in. I think this is very important as you don't want to 'steam' the fish.

dumb question here... how much fish scent does it give off. I have several black bear moms and cubs in the area. Will they be attracted to it. (I can always do it in the winter but want to know before I try something that gets the bears killed because of my stupidity!)

Thank you.

dumb question here... how much fish scent does it give off. I have several black bear moms and cubs in the area. Will they be attracted to it. (I can always do it in the winter but want to know before I try something that gets the bears killed because of my stupidity!)

Thank you.

There is some, but mostly smell just smoke.

Hehe. I think this way every time I do a brisket or pork butt on my traeger overnight. Makes for a rough sleep. Oh well, so far so good, good barbeque is a worthy cause.

What a piece of crap.... Some smart ideas but Bradley has already beat the pants off of these smokers ages ago.

So you put the wood in the side and turn the handle....Wow thats cool.
But before you do that you need to open the main door and empty the last batch of chips you just burnt. There goes the heat.
Even the Little Cheif was a better design for changing chips.

I stood in Costco today and studied this unit you might want to do the same before throwing away your money.

Have any of you looked at the new temp. contolled Bradley units not the digital units? Have you looked into buying the pucks in the larger cases thru places like Gone Fishing?

The only person buying one of these units from Costco is someone on a budget who cant seem to figure out why Bradley's are still better for the dollar.

If you buy one keep your receipt as you have a year to take it back. :)

What a piece of crap...

The only person buying one of these units from Costco is someone on a budget

Pretty brutal there mate.

Too bad everyone doesn't have your disposable cash I guess, eh? ****** for us, the masses.

IMO, Bradley's are over priced and your stuck buying their proprietary pucks...

The chief's, both models, do the job just fine for a backyard guy who wants a bit of smoked fish and maybe the Costco one does too.

Pretty brutal there mate.

Too bad everyone doesn't have your disposable cash I guess, eh? ****** for us, the masses.

IMO, Bradley's are over priced and your stuck buying their proprietary pucks...

The chief's, both models, do the job just fine for a backyard guy who wants a bit of smoked fish and maybe the Costco one does too.
Did you take the time to read that I think the Little Cheif was a better disign? If I couldn't afford a Bradley I would but a Cheif smoker not one of these. That's my opinion if you don't like it that's fine with me.

In my opinion Emson electric smoker is far more better than yours although its totally BIG but I'd go for Emson because It is five times faster than convectional cooking method and has an internal chamber that requires only 3 to 5 wood chips that would give you an authentic barbecue smoke flavor. I hope you do some research before buying a product.

In my opinion Emson electric smoker is far more better than yours although its totally BIG but I'd go for Emson because It is five times faster than convectional cooking method and has an internal chamber that requires only 3 to 5 wood chips that would give you an authentic barbecue smoke flavor. I hope you do some research before buying a product.

It's a pressure smoker. Here is a link guys.... http://1potmeals.com/buy-emson-electric-smoker not sure how you will get your salmon in one of them nor could I guess how it would turn out.

What a piece of crap.... Some smart ideas but Bradley has already beat the pants off of these smokers ages ago.

So you put the wood in the side and turn the handle....Wow thats cool.
But before you do that you need to open the main door and empty the last batch of chips you just burnt. There goes the heat.
Even the Little Cheif was a better design for changing chips.

I stood in Costco today and studied this unit you might want to do the same before throwing away your money.

Have any of you looked at the new temp. contolled Bradley units not the digital units? Have you looked into buying the pucks in the larger cases thru places like Gone Fishing?

The only person buying one of these units from Costco is someone on a budget who cant seem to figure out why Bradley's are still better for the dollar.

If you buy one keep your receipt as you have a year to take it back. :)

I've read some online reviews, and yes, there are some that are not favorable. There is another similar smoker out there by Cuisinart, and that one gets lambasted. If I get a year out of it for 279.00 and have to take it back they'll give me a new one, no big deal. I keep receipts for everything I purchase.

Of course Bradley is better and the reason I didn't buy one is because I am on a budget, and not just because of needing to purchase the pucks.

If you burn the chips down, there is plenty of room in the chip pan for at least three cycles of smoke before you need to empty the ashes.

I've read some online reviews, and yes, there are some that are not favorable. There is another similar smoker out there by Cuisinart, and that one gets lambasted. If I get a year out of it for 279.00 and have to take it back they'll give me a new one, no big deal. I keep receipts for everything I purchase.

Of course Bradley is better and the reason I didn't buy one is because I am on a budget, and not just because of needing to purchase the pucks.

If you burn the chips down, there is plenty of room in the chip pan for at least three cycles of smoke before you need to empty the ashes.

Sorry BGM,

If I know anything about smoking not that I have ever taken the time to read the book that even came with every smoker I have ever seen or owned including Cheif Smokers I think I would of known that no smoker on the market would tell you to burn to ash or even close to ash let alone pile on 3 batches of chips before dumping.

Have you looked at the size of the burning tray or these units? 3 trays of chips would never ever fit even if it was the way to smoke.

Save your receipts as you may want your money back when you realize these unit are POC's. But they do look good I will give them that.

Sorry BGM,

If I know anything about smoking not that I have ever taken the time to read the book that even came with every smoker I have ever seen or owned including Cheif Smokers I think I would of known that no smoker on the market would tell you to burn to ash or even close to ash let alone pile on 3 batches of chips before dumping.

Have you looked at the size of the burning tray or these units? 3 trays of chips would never ever fit even if it was the way to smoke.

Save your receipts as you may want your money back when you realize these unit are POC's. But they do look good I will give them that.

I agree you don't want ashes. I just moved the burnt pieces to the side of the tray, off the main part of the element and added more wet chips to the centre. It worked, but next time I am going to empty the tray after they burn to see what I notice. Yes, you lose heat, but it does not take much time to get it back up. Let's insider this thread a consumer product review.

Let's insider this thread a consumer product review.

Its a stupid product that Costco has put on their shelfs. Is it up to us to try to fix it? Costco does not pay the sellers for up to a year. Thats why you see fails at Costco as it does not cost them to put things on their selfs good or not. This item is a fail. Sorry

Thank you.

Alot, they'll smell it for a long ways away. Just because you can't smell it doesn't mean they can't. You couldn't seal it in tupperware and ziplocs to keep them from smellimg it.

Back